Author Topic: why no dogs in Jewish homes?  (Read 17323 times)

Offline Yonathan Ben Yakov

• Full JTFer
why no dogs in Jewish homes?
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »
why cant we Jews own dogs?
it's better to have a Jewish State, which is hated by the whole world, than an Auschwitz loved by it.”

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: why no dogs in Jewish homes?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »

Since when? I've heard that we are forbidden from having "dangerous dogs" but not dogs.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
It creates a state of Tumah (impurity).  It isn't assur, but it's certainly not recommended.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »
Chaim says Jews shouldn't own pets. But are dogs worse to have indoors than cats?

They're both impure.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:16:34 AM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »
Chaim says Jews shouldn't own pets. But are dogs worse to have indoors than cats?

And why should we not have pets? Jews never had pets in the past?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:16:48 AM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
I wish I had the time to own a dog.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
Because if a Jew with a pet dog lives in a neighborhood with Koreans, and the dog suddenly disappears, it causes "cultural conflict".

Never again will the Jew accept a dinner invitation from them.

Offline habiru

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »
According to the midrash tha jews who went of egypt had dogs (they would sic the dogs on the egyptians for revenge).

also i remember seeign a painting of a shul in amsterdam with dogs in it.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
According to the midrash tha jews who went of egypt had dogs (they would sic the dogs on the egyptians for revenge).
Are you thinking of the Maisah with the dogs not barking when we were having our Seder?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:34:35 PM »
Are you thinking of the Maisah with the dogs not barking when we were having our Seder?

I think that their is also another one, and he is referring about that one.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »
i have no problems with domisticated animals such as dogs and cats etc etc.  But i agree that they do not belong indoors. Rather, they are meant to be outside to run freely and live freely as they like.

If one wishes to own a pet, it is best to have lots of land and enclosed by a fence and have an indoor type of house for the pet to gain shelter on cold and rainy days.

The one time where I would say it is proper to keep an animal in doors is when one needs it for their health..physical and mental..or for aid, seeing or hearing dog.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »
impure???

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 12:30:04 AM »

There is no reason why  ::)

I have dogs in my home, one even now is sleeping on the foot of my bed.

Its an excuse for animal haters to rid the world of pets.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 12:34:32 AM »

And why should we not have pets? Jews never had pets in the past?

Jews had pets, the animals were used as companions, and had tasks. Most dogs were kept for protection and hunting, cats vermin control etc.

Many elders used animals as heating units.

Its still holds true even today.

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »
If it is written in the Torah, then and only then will I follow this idea.
I doubt it's written in the torah

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 12:43:18 AM »

Are you sure about that?

And yes dogs to have impurity to them, they are one of the most impure of the animals and Halacha says that a Jew should not have them (unless of-corse in situations like Pikuah Nefesh- where you have guards dogs for example). Also you can keep them outside.
 And it is from the Torah, but that doesn't apply to you boer because I believe you aren't a Jew.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 12:48:58 AM »

Are you sure about that?

And yes dogs to have impurity to them, they are one of the most impure of the animals and Halacha says that a Jew should not have them (unless of-corse in situations like Pikuah Nefesh- where you have guards dogs for example). Also you can keep them outside.
 And it is from the Torah, but that doesn't apply to you boer because I believe you aren't a Jew.

So do must humans have impurity to them, shall we keep them out side too? If that was the case no one would live in houses.

And yes I am sure, my family have always had animals in the home, and they were leaders of many Jewish communities over the years. This is even going back to before Naples and Italy even had cities.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 12:55:32 AM »

Are you sure about that?

So do must humans have impurity to them, shall we keep them out side too? If that was the case no one would live in houses.

And yes I am sure, my family have always had animals in the home, and they were leaders of many Jewish communities over the years. This is even going back to before Naples and Italy even had cities.

Halacha is Halacha, its simply the law, we cant change it now because we feel like having a dog. I dont believe that their are those who permit dogs living in the house.
  People being leaders doesn't prove anything. Infact I can say a lot of the opposite, but I will refrain it.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 12:59:17 AM »
Oh forgot to add, man domesticated the dog but including it in Activites of Daily Living, that also included sitting around the fire at night with the family, dogs eating the leftovers. A co dependance on each other.

Hence the difference between the wolf and dog.

Humans became an extended pack to the dog etc.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »

Are you sure about that?

Halacha is Halacha, its simply the law, we cant change it now because we feel like having a dog. I dont believe that their are those who permit dogs living in the house.
  People being leaders doesn't prove anything. Infact I can say a lot of the opposite, but I will refrain it.

It proves a lot because, back then people followed the true path to G-d.

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 01:05:23 AM »
can you pleaswe givem e Torah quotes?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 01:24:13 AM »
I feel that dogs are domisticated animals and do belong amongst human beings.

however, they are unclean and should not live within one's home. However, that's not to say that one cannot own a dog, build a dog house and let it live outside.

secondly, besides guard dogs, I do believe it should be permissable to have a dog within one's home if one were blind or deaf or depressed clinically and having the dog around save the person's livlihood.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 01:28:16 AM »

however, they are unclean and should not live within one's home. However, that's not to say that one cannot own a dog, build a dog house and let it live outside.

secondly, besides guard dogs, I do believe it should be permissable to have a dog within one's home if one were blind or deaf or depressed clinically and having the dog around save the person's livlihood.

I think its up to the individual where the dog or pet lives, to state its unjewish to have a pet is wrong.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

I think its up to the individual where the dog or pet lives, to state its unjewish to have a pet is wrong.

It's neither Jewish nor unJewish to own a dog.  We are supposed to take care of nature and take of care of Gd's creations and animals and that includes dogs.  Dogs have evolved with human beings so letting them rome out and about is not the proper thing. Dogs can be utilized excellently in work and jobs and helping people for numerous things.  Therefore, it woudl lead to me to believe that it woudl definately NOT be unJewish to own a dog.

But those who wish to follow proper Halakha, one should keep animals outisde of where the human lives.  Dogs, I think are meant to be outdoors..that's their natural way.  On that note, i would not want a dog to freeze or die due to nature and therefore, building a domain for it is a very proper and possibly Jewish thing to do.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
Dogs make a good security system btw, and deter invaders.