Author Topic: why no dogs in Jewish homes?  (Read 17329 times)

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: why no dogs in Jewish homes?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 04:33:28 PM »
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL O0

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »
Dogs make a good security system btw, and deter invaders.

Yes they are one of the best  O0

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »
Here is some information:

The halachic literature indicates that it has been common practice among Ashkenazic Jews over the past several centuries to own non-farm animals, especially dogs.1 Rabbinic authorities have debated the propriety and permissibility of this practice. Their positions depend to a great extent on how they harmonize seemingly contradictory talmudic texts which appear in tractate Baba Kama. The Talmud (Baba Kama 15b) cites Rabbi Natan who asserts that one who raises an "evil dog" in his home violates the biblical prohibition "Do not place blood in your home" (Deuteronomy 22:8)2. The implication is that it is permissible to raise a dog in one's home provided that the creature is not an "evil dog". Rabbi Yishmael, in fact, permits one to raise a type of dog known as kofri dogs (Rashi: small dogs or large hunting dogs which do no harm) since they help eliminate rodents (Baba Kama 80a).

On the other hand, the Talmud (Baba Kama 79b) writes that one is forbidden to own a dog unless it is securely chained (if the dog is securely chained it will neither do any damage nor frighten anyone with its bark). Moreover, the Rabbis of the Talmud (Baba Kama 83a) pronounced a curse upon one who owns dogs. These statements seem to apply to all dogs.

http://www.daat.ac.il/DAAT/english/halacha/jachter_1.htm

Furthermore, it is prohibited in Jewish law to neuter any animal. To take away something that Hashem gave them like this (one of the few pleasures animals have to experience) from another living creature is cruel.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
I love doggys ,but for observent Jews,the Law is the Law! :)

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »
To state its unjewish to have a pet is wrong.

How so?

Is G-d wrong?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »

How so?

Is G-d wrong?

Once again read my words carefully...It's not wrong to own a pet.

For it to live within the domain you live (inside your house) might be considered against halakha. 

So Gd isn't wrong if He said you cannot have a pet inside your house because it is unclean.  But owning can mean, taking care of a pet while it lives outside in its own house that humans do not live in.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

For Christians its ok,,,,,,,,,,, but for Observant Jews its wrong according to their laws .God said its true! SO BE IT.End of subject!
wayne jude

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
Is it OK for Noahides to have pets?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »

For Christians its ok,,,,,,,,,,, but for Observant Jews its wrong according to their laws .G-d said its true! SO BE IT.End of subject!
wayne jude

Well thats not exactly true Wayne, Christians are to follow the bible as well as the new testament, so if we are nit picking, Christians must follow all of g-ds laws as well.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:00:32 PM by Fidei defensor »

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

How so?

Is G-d wrong?

G-d made us their protectors and care givers.

To do otherwise is going against G-ds wishes.

G-d is never wrong, its man that corrupts his word.

Thanks for Shlomo's post.

permissible to raise a dog in one's home provided that the creature is not an "evil dog"

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:09:17 PM by Fidei defensor »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
Is it OK for Noahides to have pets?

Everybody can HAVE pets.

Jews shouldn't keep pets inside their domain..well, according to some rabbis
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
How do you tell if a dog is evil?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

dogs are dogs...they act on their instincts.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 09:18:45 PM »
Dogs are dogs. But, we as Christians are not under the law Jews are under the law and must keep them. They must obey the law. To say other than that is harmful to them. We are a coolition of Jews and Christians . So we must not disrespect each other. Observant Jews must observe what is right for them. We have bigger fish to fry. Let's not divide what good has come together. Wayne Jude  O0

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »

If the dog has attacked another for no reason. It is rare, but I have known dogs that have been what I call evil.

The fact remains many animals are not evil, its more of man teaching it to be so.

Classic example of evil animals. In the 1800's in Africa, two male lions, the natives called the Ghost and the Darkness, hunted and kill men for no reason. It was a sport to the lions. This is evil.

Where many Lions hunt for food only, attack in protection of their pride.

They made a film regarding them. The story was true.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 11:17:06 PM »
Dogs are dogs. But, we as Christians are not under the law Jews are under the law and must keep them. They must obey the law. To say other than that is harmful to them. We are a coolition of Jews and Christians . So we must not disrespect each other. Observant Jews must observe what is right for them. We have bigger fish to fry. Let's not divide what good has come together. Wayne Jude  O0

But you're Jewish and are bound by Jewish Law, not Noahide Law.

Wayne is a Christian, he is not Jewish.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »

For Christians its ok,,,,,,,,,,, but for Observant Jews its wrong according to their laws .G-d said its true! SO BE IT.End of subject!
wayne jude

Well thats not exactly true Wayne, Christians are to follow the bible as well as the new testament, so if we are nit picking, Christians must follow all of g-ds laws as well.  ;)

Gentiles don't have to follow The Torah, only The Seven Noahide Laws.

I am talking about Christians and yes they follow the bible.

Greatest example of this is the Christian Identity, there are 128 forms of Christain belief. They all follow the Bible.

I love it Yacov ! Go and tell the Pope that, see how far you yet  :::D :::D

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »
I didn't know you had dogs, Fidei. :::D

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 11:35:51 PM »
I didn't know you had dogs, Fidei. :::D

:::D Oh yes that came to you as a complete surprise  ;)

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
evil animals? ???

it's impossible for animals to be 'evil'! If animals APPEAR to be evil...it's a result of their owners' evil

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »
evil animals? ???

it's impossible for animals to be 'evil'! If animals APPEAR to be evil...it's a result of their owners' evil

Animals have the ability to be good or evil. As I said its rare. Evil animals exist in the wild without owners.

Another example is the Killer whale will play with a seal and finally kill it and leave it uneaten.

Killing for no reason is evil.

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 08:45:52 AM »
but that's their nature!

Implying that animals can be evil...would imply that animals have souls  :o

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2008, 09:06:10 AM »
but that's their nature!

Animals do have souls, just not souls like humans.

They are not empty shells.

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »
rememer, animals can't distinguish between right and wrong...good and evil...so it's merely in their nature. Besides, how would an animal become evil?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:59 AM »
but that's their nature!

Animals do have souls, just not souls like humans.

They are not empty shells.

I do not deny the possibility of what you say.  However, what I have heard other people define as a soul is someone or something that is capable of knowing right from wrong and being able to control the animal instincts they have been given and used even ina proper way.  Dogs and other animals are incapable of doing that and essentially do things and behave in such ways for food for example.

Now, in my own experience, there is something special about certain pets and dogs etc etc.  Sometimes I think they know when you are sad about something and come by your side to comfort you..it happened when my grandfather passed away and startd weeping and my dog came to my room, put her paws on my lap (she never does that unless i ask her to) and started licking my face in a way that I perceived as comfort for whatever pain she noticed i was having.

So...who knows?  Maybe they do have a certain type of soul.  I don't know.  However, I will stand by the full truth that ALL animals should be dealth with kindness and certain animals, such as dogs, are meant to be domesticated and evolve with humans. IT can be a matter of dispute if a dog should live within one's domain.  However, dogs are not clean animals and if one wanted to be safe about something religiously, and wanted to have a dog, then it should be permitted that they have the dog, but live outside of the domain of which another human lives.  The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to have a big backyard where it can run around all day like dogs like to do and have a shelter for it on those rainy cold days.