Poll

POLL:   Should Abortion be legal in any instance

Never, its murder.. end of story
2 (7.7%)
Only in cases of rape, Incest, severe genetic disease, mothers life in danger
11 (42.3%)
Only in the first trimester, and after that.. its should be a punishable crime
2 (7.7%)
The government has no right to interfere with a woman's decision to an abortion.
1 (3.8%)
Only if the mother's life is in danger. This is the Halachic position.
10 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: POLL: Should Abortion be legal in any instance  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: POLL: Should Abortion be legal in any instance
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 02:57:01 PM »
I can't believe i was the only one who put:

"The government has no right to interfere with a woman's decision to an abortion"

once you start allowing the government to start making decisions on what people can say and do then inevitably you loose your rights to democracy....

even if all the religions of the world agreed that having abortions is wrong there should not be a prohibition just because it was written thousands of years ago... while some laws should never change i don't believe that abortions should be made illegal on any level

thats my two cents

sergio, i will put it quite simply the stance every government should make..

-better to err on the side of life than on the side of death.  Better to be sensitive to life than to death.

now, this itself is open to interpretation...and i think for most governments, it better to put this as the stance and be oblique about specifics..leave it to Jews to decide the specifics for our own people.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Sergio 11

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »

"The government has no right to interfere with a woman's decision to an abortion"

once you start allowing the government to start making decisions on what people can say and do then inevitably you loose your rights to democracy....

even if all the religions of the world agreed that having abortions is wrong there should not be a prohibition just because it was written thousands of years ago... while some laws should never change i don't believe that abortions should be made illegal on any level

thats my two cents

-better to err on the side of life than on the side of death.  Better to be sensitive to life than to death.

now, this itself is open to interpretation...and i think for most governments, it better to put this as the stance and be oblique about specifics..leave it to Jews to decide the specifics for our own people.

regardless of whether any government (crypto facist or otherwise) might install such prohibitions the conflict lies within at what stage is a person become a person and how old must the "being" be before it is considered murder...

i wouldn't suport the killing of another human being (unless it be absoulutely nessesary)  but the question is when does a human being become one ... is it at birth, fetus in the womb or even earlier to constitute the notion of murder at any stage...

these things should be decided by the sunhedrin in Israel and if people choose to follow the words of Hashem then may they be blessed if one has doubts even after that one cannot be blamed for have individualistic thought on when does a human being become a separate entity, in of itself...

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »
Hi Sergio. 

I think your missing something in your analysis. 

I completely agree that the government should NOT tell us what to do,  with one obvious exception... when our actions are CLEARLY interfering with the rights of someone else.

Basically that means, I can't go up to a random person and cut their fingers off, because that would be infringing on that OTHER person's rights, to live without being mutilated.

SO ergo.....  By a mother, making a decision to terminate a baby/fetus... that IS CLEARLY infringing on the right of the unborn... unless of course you don't consider the unborn to have any rights because you fell they are not a living human, etc.  and that is really what I'm trying to get at with this poll.

Brian

Sergio 11

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
Let me just revert back to my earlier statement or rather question ... at what point does a person become a person ?

is there a boundary that can be drawn to distinguish a human from a process of life being born... what is worse may ask... a government that takes away peoples rights to decide for themselves to do as they will within the court of law, bound by religion and theoretical doctrine? .... or freewill for people to decide what they think is the right choice by them ?...

you mentioned that killing an unborn baby is still murder and termination of anyone is evil but in the case you mentioned, the mother deciding upon circumstances and the fetus in the womb are not separate entities that baby is still a part of her...

its a complicated matter.. one which bears no real answer only religious law and doctrine which tells the people how to act not a law made by the act of the people...

Good topic though with only suggestive understanding in how a senario may be played out in real life.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »
Let me just revert back to my earlier statement or rather question ... at what point does a person become a person ?

is there a boundary that can be drawn to distinguish a human from a process of life being born... what is worse may ask... a government that takes away peoples rights to decide for themselves to do as they will within the court of law, bound by religion and theoretical doctrine? .... or freewill for people to decide what they think is the right choice by them ?...

you mentioned that killing an unborn baby is still murder and termination of anyone is evil but in the case you mentioned, the mother deciding upon circumstances and the fetus in the womb are not separate entities that baby is still a part of her...

its a complicated matter.. one which bears no real answer only religious law and doctrine which tells the people how to act not a law made by the act of the people...

Good topic though with only suggestive understanding in how a senario may be played out in real life.

Thats why I have the poll.   :)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:08 PM »

thats my two cents

regardless of whether any government (crypto facist or otherwise) might install such prohibitions the conflict lies within at what stage is a person become a person and how old must the "being" be before it is considered murder...

i wouldn't suport the killing of another human being (unless it be absoulutely nessesary)  but the question is when does a human being become one ... is it at birth, fetus in the womb or even earlier to constitute the notion of murder at any stage...

these things should be decided by the sunhedrin in Israel and if people choose to follow the words of Hashem then may they be blessed if one has doubts even after that one cannot be blamed for have individualistic thought on when does a human being become a separate entity, in of itself...

once again, the specifics is not up to any of us..based on that nation, the govt should go with the understanding that it is better to err on the side of life..and based on their culture/religion, they decide with the help of doctors and spiritual leaders what life means.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein