Author Topic: Ark of the covenant  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
Ark of the covenant
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:01:44 PM »
Supposedly it's in Ethiopia based on the Kebra Nagast http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebra_Nagast .  The story goes Minilik, the son Solomon had with the Queen of Sheba, came to visit his Father Solomon.  Solomon ordered to send some elders to Ethiopia with Minilek.  Upset at leaving, the elders smuggle the ark with Minilek. 

That's one of the theories.  I wanted to visit Axum in Ethiopia where the ark is supposedly stored in one of its churches but didn't have time to leave Addis Ababa. 

ARe there another speculations to where the most holy of temple relics is? 

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
Re: Ark of the covenant
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:45 AM »
I don't think the Queen of Sheba journeyed all the way to Israel just to have a cup of tea with Solomon if you catch my drift.  Isn't it possible for the ark to have been removed before the 1st temple was destroyed? 

I thought only 2 of the 12 tribes remain? 

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
Re: Ark of the covenant
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
I was just posting one of the theories behind what happened to the ark of the covenant, I don't necessarily think that is the right one.  what do you think happened?

I won't argue that there are varying opinions pertaining to the Queen of Sheba.  You can't just just have the account of the Tanakh guide your thinking Yacov, especially when it leaves out some things.  Naturally the Tanakh will focus on the affairs of the Israelites, and other texts of the time will focus on the affairs of the locality of the text's origination. 

Consider though that geneologies are at hand here, and the Kebra Nagast is to Ethiopians what the Qu'ran is the Arabs and the Torah to Jews.  I was in Ethiopia over the summer and the Prime Ministers palace's gate had star of davids and a military compound had star of davids on it's compound doors.