Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

The Bible, Oral Bible, and History.

(1/3) > >>

Tzvi Ben Roshel1:
I dont disagree, but the underlying and real reason of why Israel is supposed to be controlled by G-d fearing Jews and not any other nation, is becuase of the Torah, we proudly read during Pessah , that G-d took OUR forfather from the other side of the Euphrates river and gave to his (true) decendents the land of Israel.

Also David was allways worthy being the King (he didnt sin, on the level that you and I would call sin) , Samson wasnt a real leader, he was a lone fighter, Saul lost his kingdom  because he didnt follow G-ds commandments and Solomon was also loyal to the Torah. They werent Rabbis nor am I saying that they have(had to be, but they were very pious.

Tzvi Ben Roshel1:

--- Quote from: Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim on December 30, 2006, 10:48:34 PM ---It is a known fact that King Solomon sinned with his many foreign wives. They influenced him to commit idolatry in the end.

--- End quote ---

where did you read that  :o , no way did Solomon commit IDOLOTRY. and yes you are right he did sin in the fact that he married Pharaoh's daughter (in order to have Pharaoh as an alliance), but because of that (their is a Midrash) that says that on the day he married Pharaoh's daughter, a read came up which later was the city of Rome ( which brought the galut that we are in right now)

Christian Zionist:

--- Quote from: Tzvi Ben Roshel on December 30, 2006, 10:58:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim on December 30, 2006, 10:48:34 PM ---It is a known fact that King Solomon sinned with his many foreign wives. They influenced him to commit idolatry in the end.

--- End quote ---

where did you read that  :o , no way did Solomon commit IDOLOTRY. and yes you are right he did sin in the fact that he married Pharaoh's daughter (in order to have Pharaoh as an alliance), but because of that (their is a Midrash) that says that on the day he married Pharaoh's daughter, a read came up which later was the city of Rome ( which brought the galut that we are in right now)

--- End quote ---

King Solomon starting to worship idols is clearly stated in 1 Kings 11: 1-13.  That was the main reason anicent Israel was divided into Northern and Southern kingdoms (with the tribes of Judah and Benjamin in the South). 

1Kings.11

[1]Now King Solomon loved many foreign women: the daughter of Pharaoh, and Moabite, Ammonite, E'domite, Sido'nian, and Hittite women,

[2] from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods"; Solomon clung to these in love.
[3] He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart.
[4] For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.
[5] For Solomon went after Ash'toreth the goddess of the Sido'nians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
[6] So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done.
[7] Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem.
[8] And so he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.
[9]And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice,
[10] and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not keep what the LORD commanded.
[11] Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this has been your mind and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.
[12] Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.
[13] However I will not tear away all the kingdom; but I will give one tribe to your son, for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen."

Only the following Kings of Judah did not worship idols:

Asa (backslid in his last days but never worshipped idols)
Jehosaphat
Uzziah (became a leper finally but never worshipped idols)
Jotham
Hezekiah and
Josiah (Joshiah destroyed the notorious Ashera polls in the high places).

The reforms made by Kings Hezekiah and Josiah delayed the destruction of the southern kingdom for another 133 years.

Kings Amaziah and Joas started well but eventually fell into idolatory.

None of the Northern Kings were loyal to the God of Israel and every one them worshipped idols which led them to Assyrian captivity even 133 years before the Babylonian captivity.

722 B.C.E - End of Northern Kingdom by the Assyrian Empire
586 B.C.E - End of Southern Kingdom by the Babylonian Empire

adam613:
To be honest I looked this up after this was stated and I would like to know where this is discussed in Sanhadrim. First of all the Navi is not at the same level as the 5 books of Moses and the oral Torah was meant to explain aspects of the written Torah. The Oral Torah though always has to prove that it makes sense according to the rules of the 5 Books of Moses.

With the books of the prophets, they weren't written by Moses at the command of g-d, So, I would like to see where in the Gemara this is discussed because to be honest reading you it looks to me that Solomon sinned in stages. At first he only let his wives do it but then he himself to please his wives put up these forms of Idol Worship.  First it says he went after the Ashororeth. Kings Chapter 11 Verse 5. Then in verse 7 it says he built a high place for Chemosh, After this it says that g-d became angry with Solomon because he strayed from g-d. It then says in verse 11 since you have not kept my decrees that I have commanded you I will split the kingdom. So it could be at first he let his wives do it to which it was said he wasn't as righteous as his father. But once he started doing it himself then g-d became angry with him.

I would like to see the Gemarah in Sanhedrim because it doesn't make sense to me. The Gemarah cannot contradict what the Torah (or the prophets) says without a good explanation as to why. Artscroll gives this interpretation but does not cite a source. Is this ONE opinion of many. Also, again the Prophets isn't like the Torah in which there are certain rules that are used to deduce certain laws that are not explained in detail. It sounds strange to me.

Rabbi Kahane did lament the fact that Jewish men learned Gemarah before knowing Tanach and this is against what the Gemarah says which says you should first learn the written Bible and then Talmud. It leads to all types of distortions of the religion because without a solid base in the Bible the arguments are meaningless that take place in Talmud. It is like learning constitutional law before learning the constitution and the historical background to the constitution. Because lawyers today don't know the historical framework of the constitution this is why they are so lost and interpet the constitution in a way the founding fathers never would. It is the same thing learning Gemarah without knowing the Jewish Bible. It is meaningless and you interpet the Torah in a way that clearly if you studied the written Bible you would never come to that conclusion.

I myself didn't study the written Bible  in detail until after I was forced out of my parents home because they tried to force me to take medication. I bordered with a family that was from India. They were somewhat toward their tradition so it interested me in my own tradition and going to day school I didn't know the bible that well. They were very nice to me. Nicer then Jews have been to me. I guess they respected because in India they have a similar problem to what is going on in Israel.

jdl4ever:

--- Quote from: Christian Zionist on December 31, 2006, 12:22:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tzvi Ben Roshel on December 30, 2006, 10:58:44 PM ---

--- End quote ---

where did you read that  :o , no way did Solomon commit IDOLOTRY. and yes you are right he did sin in the fact that he married Pharaoh's daughter (in order to have Pharaoh as an alliance), but because of that (their is a Midrash) that says that on the day he married Pharaoh's daughter, a read came up which later was the city of Rome ( which brought the galut that we are in right now)

--- End quote ---

King Solomon starting to worship idols is clearly stated in 1 Kings 11: 1-13.  That was the main reason anicent Israel was divided into Northern and Southern kingdoms (with the tribes of Judah and Benjamin in the South). 

1Kings.11

[1]Now King Solomon loved many foreign women: the daughter of Pharaoh, and Moabite, Ammonite, E'domite, Sido'nian, and Hittite women,

[2] from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the people of Israel, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, neither shall they with you, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods"; Solomon clung to these in love.
[3] He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart.
[4] For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods; and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his G-d, as was the heart of David his father.
[5] For Solomon went after Ash'toreth the goddess of the Sido'nians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
[6] So Solomon did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and did not wholly follow the LORD, as David his father had done.
[7] Then Solomon built a high place for Chemosh the abomination of Moab, and for Molech the abomination of the Ammonites, on the mountain east of Jerusalem.
[8] And so he did for all his foreign wives, who burned incense and sacrificed to their gods.
[9]And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the LORD, the G-d of Israel, who had appeared to him twice,
[10] and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods; but he did not keep what the LORD commanded.
[11] Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this has been your mind and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.
[12] Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.
[13] However I will not tear away all the kingdom; but I will give one tribe to your son, for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen."

Only the following Kings of Judah did not worship idols:

Asa (backslid in his last days but never worshipped idols)
Jehosaphat
Uzziah (became a leper finally but never worshipped idols)
Jotham
Hezekiah and
Josiah (Joshiah destroyed the notorious Ashera polls in the high places).

The reforms made by Kings Hezekiah and Josiah delayed the destruction of the southern kingdom for another 133 years.

Kings Amaziah and Joas started well but eventually fell into idolatory.

None of the Northern Kings were loyal to the G-d of Israel and every one them worshipped idols which led them to Assyrian captivity even 133 years before the Babylonian captivity.

722 B.C.E - End of Northern Kingdom by the Assyrian Empire
586 B.C.E - End of Southern Kingdom by the Babylonian Empire

--- End quote ---

I agree with you Christian Zionist.  Let me clear up something that is going on with my fellow Jewish posters.  There are several ancient commentaries on the bible and many go against the literal interpuitation on a few harsh verses in the bible since they claim that G-d judges the richous much more strictly than he does normal people and considers them worshipping idols when really they only allow their wives to worship idols and are swayed away from G-d a little bit (for example).   However, I feel it wrong that the posters are arguing with ChristianZionist's interpuitations and I feel that he does not need to defend himself since us Jews have an ancient tradition menchaned by one of the most ancient commentators, Rashi that the Bible does not deviate from its literal meaning (this is obvious).  This applies to all circumstances unless it is impossible for the literal meaning to be true or where there is a unanimus tradition that the verse deviates from the literal meaning.   Therefore, one quoting the literal meaning of a biblical verse does not have to defend himself, the burden of proof is on those claiming it does not follow the literal meaning of the verse.  I myself tend to follow the literal meaning of the verses in the bible unless the overwhelming majority of  ancient commentators have a tradition against the literal verse.  This tradition was passed down from my grandfather to myself.   I have not researched this verse yet, but so far I agree with the literal interpuitation of this verse since in my memory it is quoted by Ezra.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version