Author Topic: iS THIS A GOOD COMPUTER?  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
iS THIS A GOOD COMPUTER?
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:26:54 AM »
Shalom all

Im wondering, is this a good computer?
How does it compare with the comp's being put on the market at the moment?

Focused on expansion, the Veriton M460 offers high performance and numerous ways to customize, giving you the power to grow your business. This highly manageable system has a range of Intel® processors from which to choose, up to 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, a 500 GB Serial ATA hard disk, and great expansion options to ensure that the Veriton M460 can accommodate any business task.
PLATFORM Veriton M460 BGH Model
CPU Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor (2.4GHz, 8MB L2 cache, 1066MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional Edition
MEMORY 4GB DDR2-SDRAM 667MHz Dual Channel
HARD DRIVE 1 500GB S-ATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive (7200 RPM)
HARD DRIVE 2 None
OPTICAL BAY 1 16x Dual Layer DVD SATA Burner
MEDIA READER Digital Media Card Reader
GRAPHICS Leadtek Quadro FX570 PCIe 256MB Dual DVI-I
NETWORK Integrated 10/100/1000 LAN
MODEM None
AUDIO Embedded 7.1-channel high-definition audio
SPEAKERS 2-piece desktop speakers
KEYBOARD Acer USB multimedia keyboard
MOUSE Acer USB optical mouse
PRODUCTIVITY No additional software
DESKTOP WARRANTY 3 Years Onsite Metro NBD Response Parts & Labour
* Onsite warranty is up to 80km from an Acer Authorised Onsite Service Provider.
MONITOR Acer AL2616WD 26" Wide LCD Monitor Silver

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: iS THIS A GOOD COMPUTER?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:50:40 AM »
Sorry bro I dont know anything about Computers.Do you still visit AfricanCrisis?I love that site! :)

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
  • My name is Stalinashvili.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:31:15 AM »
That's an excellent computer are you kidding me :)
Tell us how much it is.
Free Javakh!!!
I defecate on Stalin's grave.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:41:25 AM »
Tell us how much it is.
that's the difficult part ::) hehe. It will take a LOT of persuasion :D One of payment, $3000. 36 month rent plan, something like $80-90 a week, which equates to $4200 in the end. It's expensive!  :-\ :'( And im an ol' scruge

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
Do you still visit AfricanCrisis?I love that site!

Yes ofcourse brother  :) :) :) :)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
Tell us how much it is.
that's the difficult part ::) hehe. It will take a LOT of persuasion :D One of payment, $3000. 36 month rent plan, something like $80-90 a week, which equates to $4200 in the end. It's expensive!  :-\ :'( And im an ol' scruge

I think it`s a bad time to get a new computer..  I would wait till you don`t need a HIGH TOP OF THE RANGE computer to run Vista.

Also, this is not 1990.  All computers are good nowadays. Why not get a cheap Dell?
Then
Use Windows XP (it uses less RAM than vista). It runs very nicely with 512MB.
Most computers just go slow because of the junk on them. Make sure all data is in a directory so you can easily back it up.
Be able to remove everything and reinstall windows and drivers and put your data back on.
If you can do that, then even a computer from 7 years ago would run very smoothly.

your requirements may differ though if you do video work.. I am not sure about that.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
good bro!

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
Tell us how much it is.

I think it`s a bad time to get a new computer..  I would wait till you don`t need a HIGH TOP OF THE RANGE computer to run Vista.

Also, this is not 1990.  All computers are good nowadays. Why not get a cheap Dell?
Then
Most computers just go slow because of the junk on them. Make sure all data is in a directory so you can easily back it up.
Be able to remove everything and reinstall windows and drivers and put your data back on.
If you can do that, then even a computer from 7 years ago would run very smoothly.

your requirements may differ though if you do video work.. I am not sure about that.

See, thing is, Im a gamer  8;) And one can NOT afford to get behind, you know what I mean...especially in these crazy times  :laugh: ( in terms of technology, I aint complainin  :D)

Thing is, might as well get a good comp, and then stay ahead for a while, whereas you have to keep on upgrading

what do you think?'

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
It is already old-fashioned. I would buy 8 core 3,2 ghz today.
But it devaluates immediately.
Eventually it is nothing compared to a Silicon Graphics military computer.
They built 512x 1,2 ghz servers in the 90 ties.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
I have vista and some wi fi sites arent ready for it yet!

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 10:15:34 AM »
yes lots of people are VERY unhappy with vista...including myself.

YEs Ambiorix! That's why I posted this, so I could know if it's already been overtaken with the newer technology. It's getting better by the day! Which is good though...it pushes down prices!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 10:24:04 AM »
Tell us how much it is.

Then

See, thing is, Im a gamer  8;) And one can NOT afford to get behind, you know what I mean...especially in these crazy times  :laugh: ( in terms of technology, I aint complainin  :D)

Thing is, might as well get a good comp, and then stay ahead for a while, whereas you have to keep on upgrading

what do you think?'

I think playing games is a waste of time.
There really are not that many hours in the day. 

To sleep , eat, work, browse the net, watch some TV. hey presto, time gone.  Gotta cut out some TV, gotta cut out some internet. Gotta find a quicker way to make and eat food.

I used to play games, I had a game system for it. Was expensive though, buying all the games.

I don`t have to upgrade all the time. My old computers are all fine and smooth.  P4 typically ! or AMD Athlon XP.    But if I wanted to play games it would be a different matter. I don`t know. Never have done much of that.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »
hehe, I hear you q_q_.

Thing is, I don't have much of a social life, and it keeps one out of trouble  :D
And I don't really have much else to do anyways

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:34:13 AM »
Do not buy that computer for all that money!!!!
Go on tigerdirect.com or one of the american sites such as bestbuy.com and get a computer for like 500 dollars. It will suit you just fine. It is crazy to spend so much money on a computer because they get outdated so fast. It's a terrible investment.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:36:45 AM »
I totally agree with you, thing is im in australia  :-\ Things are terribly expensive here....

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 11:24:16 AM »
yes lots of people are VERY unhappy with vista...including myself.

YEs Ambiorix! That's why I posted this, so I could know if it's already been overtaken with the newer technology. It's getting better by the day! Which is good though...it pushes down prices!
Listen, I am not a Windows-user anymore since 4 years.
I do have a windows in case in need to run a program that has no Mac-version.

BUT: for games, the Windows is definitely a better platform.
For games you need to buy the fastest computer, with the best graphics card available.
Maybe, you should check some forums of gamers, and ask them what is the best computer for you.
I can't play any new released games anymore since 2 years, because my 4 years old G5 dual 1,8 ghz was too slow after that.

But I do enjoy that computer very much, since I haven't had any problem with its software, or hardware ever.

My experiences with Vista (a friend's new laptop) so far are very negative.

Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:29:43 AM »
Is this a recent model? And atleast it has an intel chip.  But is it this year's?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 11:33:39 AM »
I totally agree with you, thing is im in australia  :-\ Things are terribly expensive here....

So big deal, order it from an american site. I have ordered things from other countries before.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 11:42:46 AM »
For a computer investment I would be patient if I was  you.  Read into the recent models if they are within the same price range.  Forget Windows Vesta I hear so many complaints about that. 
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline doom777

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »
As long as I am here, might as well help a jew.

No, it is not a good computer. While the specs are very impressive, it uses many technologies that are on the verge of obsoletion, and it's far too expensive for the quality you get.

I suggest waiting half a year, and then buying something with DDR3 memory, a video card with 512MB or even 1GB memory either 9x nVidia or X3x ATI, and probably a 350GB hardrive (less than what you have, because you don't really need 1/2 TB)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »

Well that i a good idea.
Don't forget Boeregeneraal is a Christian Suid-Afrikaner.

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

One word

Macintosh ;)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »

One word

Macintosh ;)

Of course, but not for gaming.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »

No, it is not a good computer. While the specs are very impressive, it uses many technologies that are on the verge of obsoletion, and it's far too expensive for the quality you get.

I suggest waiting half a year, and then buying something with DDR3 memory, a video card with 512MB or even 1GB memory either 9x nVidia or X3x ATI, and probably a 350GB hardrive (less than what you have, because you don't really need 1/2 TB)

ok. Im not really too worried about the graphics card, as I got myself a Nvidia 8600 just the other day for $130

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »

ok. Im not really too worried about the graphics card, as I got myself a Nvidia 8600 just the other day for $130

hahaha

Doom777- there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand computers, and those that don`t.  Those that don`t cannot even detect the most obvious irony -  if the word Byte is in there!