Author Topic: "Yemach Shmo Vezichro" only for dead persons?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
"Yemach Shmo Vezichro" only for dead persons?
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »
I have a question.

Is the curse "Yemach Shmo Vezichro" only for dead persons, or for evil living people too?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "Yemach Shmo Vezichro" only for dead persons?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
This is actually an interesting subject. I have recently asked my friend who has made Teshuva (become religious) and I suggested to him that perhaps YS"V is said on the dead and SR"Y on the living.

Now Chaim certainly use YS"V on the living, and apparently the Lubavitscher Rabbi had so cursed Arafat. Here is a discussion about it in Chabad Talk-
 http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=2729

Anyway I think SR"Y is exclusively used on the living but I am not 100% sure about it.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: "Yemach Shmo Vezichro" only for dead persons?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
This is actually an interesting subject. I have recently asked my friend who has made Teshuva (become religious) and I suggested to him that perhaps YS"V is said on the dead and SR"Y on the living.

Now Chaim certainly use YS"V on the living, and apparently the Lubavitscher Rabbi had so cursed Arafat. Here is a discussion about it in Chabad Talk-
 http://www.chabadtalk.com/forum/showthread.php3?t=2729

Anyway I think SR"Y is exclusively used on the living but I am not 100% sure about it.

Thank you for your answer :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani