Author Topic: What's the Best Horror Movie Ever?  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
What's the Best Horror Movie Ever?
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
The goriest sickest film you have ever seen.   O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: What's the Best Horror Movie Ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:03:44 PM »
horrors are not scary.. they are often slow action.

if you want gore. An gret action film, kill bill  vol1,2

hellraiser 1,2,3 ,  <-- horror. 3 was a bit comical compared to 1,2.  They are classics

the evil dead,  (maybe)

I used to watch these kinds of films when I was 12/13/14 years old,  on sunday or after school. Fitted loads in. Was a great way to spend my time in those days!  I always thought horror films wre more for girls. But those ones were good. Not slow..   I loved action films, arnie films, and still do.

I think clockwork orange was a good horror film.  lots of violence. A bit disturbing though.. Realistic, not like freddy kruegger.  If you are a sucker for typical horror films, then go through all the freddy krueger films, there are about 8 or more!!

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »
Easy.  The Exorcist. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
TCM was pretty good, Ruby.  The original or the remake.  I thought the remake was better.  I saw "The Ruins" Monday night.  It was good. 

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »

I absolutely HATE with a passion: CARRIE.  It scares the heck out of me, and when it was on when I was young, I slept with my sister for ONE month.  That hand coming out of the grave, to me, was the single most scariest thing I have EVER seen in the movies.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »
Very good CanCangal.  I like the relatively recent Hostel movies as two of the best that come to mind.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:34:34 PM »
The Omen was pretty scary.

Offline Cyberella

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 01:17:19 AM »
I'm not a horror movie fan, generally speaking. I did think 'Carrie' and 'The Shinning' were good.

But as far as the best of the horror films;
I think the original 'Jaws' was the best ever made.
The opening scene is one of the scariest ever filmed.

After a beach party, you see a pretty girl who has swum out and treading water in a calm sea on a lovely moonlit night. She laughs and beckons her drunken boyfriend on the beach to join her.
Suddenly we hear the ominous music, the girl is yanked down and released. We see the horror and surprise on her face  and she looks  to the beach where her boyfriend, too drunk to stand, is struggling with his shoe...
She is yanked down and released again. She begins to scream..horrible gurgling-water  screams. She is taken hold of by something underneath the water again and pulled away on top of the water- all the while with those horrible gurgling screams.... until she disappears beneath.  Then we see the peaceful still water in the moonlight with no sound but the distant clanging of a bell...as if nothing ever happened.

The feeling of terror comes not only from what we see, but from what we're afraid we're going to see.
Our minds fill in what horrors must be happening to the girl beneath  the water- more vividly than any of today's movie gimmics could show.

Jaws was light-years ahead of many of the movies filled with senseless nauseating gore and juvenile plots that come out today. The genius in Jaws is its ability to build suspense. It is a masterful, visceral and realistic science-fiction suspense/horror-disaster film that taps into the most primal of human fears - what unseen creature lurks below the dark surface of the water beyond the beach? What lurks beneath is a true masterpiece of cinema horror.
There's something terrifying about open water that has etched itself upon the human psyche . Undoubtedly this is because our natural survival instincts tell us to keep away from it . We can't see , hear or smell what's beneath the water.. we can't breathe in water and anything that can has got one over on us .

This is the movie that propelled Spielberg into super stardom in 1975- and it is still just as watchable today.
I also love 'ET' and 'Shindler's List'.
I know some of you feel Spielberg is some sort of sell-out, but he is truly a master story-teller.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:03:26 AM by Cyberella »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 01:19:51 AM »
TCM was pretty good, Ruby.  The original or the remake.  I thought the remake was better.  I saw "The Ruins" Monday night.  It was good. 

I didn't see the remake.

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 01:44:19 AM »

The most horrible thing I have ever seen is the decapitation of Eugene Armstrong.  I will never forget this poor man's awful screams of terror.  Any sane individual that views this awful footage will have a healthy hatred of islam for the rest of his life.

My favorite horror movies are the Original Texas Chaimsaw Massacre, The Shining, The Exorcist and the original Halloween.

In that order.

Offline Ben Ish Chai

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:24:12 AM »
HANDS DOWN:

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES DIRECTED BY ROB ZOMBIE

trust me, if you watch it, you will be scarred.  very sick in the head.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 03:33:41 AM »
I have not seen it, but after all I heard about it I think:

Brokeback mountain and Philadelphia ;D
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 08:53:54 AM »
The most recent one I saw: The Mist
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:29:24 AM »
Easy.  The Exorcist. 
Agreed.... 

I remember the first Evil Dead movie.  That was good when it came out.  Stephen King's movie about the haunted house was good as well.  I cannot remember the name of it but I remember the scene where someone took a picture during a family gathering with the house in the background and after it was developed there were a pair of red eyes in the window looking out...lol  The Entity was another crazy one...  Oh the list of demented horror flicks from the 70's and 80's is long.

I must agree that the best Horror film of all time was either The Exorcist or Psycho with Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh.  ;)
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Ben Ish Chai

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »
HANDS DOWN:

HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES DIRECTED BY ROB ZOMBIE

trust me, if you watch it, you will be scarred.  very sick in the head.
YEP!
It's a sick film. I watched it in the Army. The images stay with you!!!

The creepiest part was when they were lowering them in the casket into the watery hole and that creepy "bury me in a nameless grave" poem was on in S L O W motion, with the voice all distorted! It was creepy!

agreed, that movie is definately TWISTED and gory, and just plain messed up!

if you "liked" it, i suggest you also check out the sequel - it came out a few years ago, and should be available online or maybe at the blockbuster kiosks (if you are in Israel) - it is called "The Devil's Rejects"! very good movie as well.

some others i have not seen, but have heard are absolutely disgusting are "Jacob's Ladder" (about military experiments (fake!)), "Pink Flamingo" (warning, gratuitous homosexuality and homosexual references - to me, scarier and more horrific than murder), and "Rosemary's Baby" (you might like this; deals with horrors particular to women! from the sick mind of Roman Polansky).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:39:06 PM by Ben Ish Chai »

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 03:47:31 PM »
Don't know if this qualifies but the Gremlens Movies were great
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
well the bloodiest movie that I've seen is Planet terror.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
Quite a topic for me to respond to on my first ever post here.

The original Dawn of the Dead.  Very gory and lots of satire.  The remake sucked.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:57:31 PM »
Quite a topic for me to respond to on my first ever post here.

The original Dawn of the Dead.  Very gory and lots of satire.  The remake sucked.
O0  very good...  keep posting...lol 
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »
Yes, if you consider Jaws a horror, it probably would be one of the best.  I liked House of 1000 Corpses.  I still have to see Zombie's version of Halloween.  When I was a kid, my friends and I used to rent the Faces of Death movies.  Did any of you guys ever see those?  Yes, Scriabin, you are right, the decapatation videos are truly hideous, and far more disturbing than any horror film could ever be.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »
I forgot all about the Faces of Death movies.  Another great one, and usually forgotten amongst horror fans, is the 1982 remake of The Thing that John Carpenter directed and Kurt Russell starred in.  Very gory and intense.

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
The Shining

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
Anybody ever see the movie Touristas?  I was about to rent it, but didn't.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »
a good way to see what a film/movie is like..

go to imdb,

look at the average rating

look at reviews ,  they might call them  "user comments"  (you might have to register, is free)

sort them by most hated, and look at what people say there..

Sometimes you`ll find the people who hate it are giving reasons that you don`t mind..
So the film is good.

Other times you`ll find the people who hate it are people like you, and the reasons they give make it obvious you are going to hate this film as much as them.. And so the film is bad.