Author Topic: Controversial Prague statue defaced  (Read 3403 times)

Offline azrom

• Senior JTFer
Controversial Prague statue defaced
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »
A statue in Prague that long has upset Jews was defaced.
The Crucifix and Calvary features a metal crucifix erected in 1657 with lead figures of the Virgin Mary and John the Evangelist that were added in the mid-19th century.

In 1696 a Prague Jew, Elias Backoffen, was forced to pay for the inscription, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of Hosts” on the statue in Hebrew as an ode to Christ.

The inscription was meant to punish Backoffen, who had been accused of debasing the Cross — by refusing to bow to it, according to some reports.

After complaints about the Hebrew text from rabbis around the world, Mayor Jan Kasl had an explanation of the text’s history placed under the statue in 2000.

Prague police said damage to the statue, which stands on Charles Bridge, was not costly, though part of the Hebrew inscription was destroyed.

http://jta.org/page_view_breaking_story.asp?intid=6683
"Negroes are a form of animal and it is against the will of God and nature to mate with such creatures. It is specifically forbidden in the Holy Bible. The Negro is still in the ape stage, actually a higher form of gorilla. They are retarded, 200,000 years behind the white race. They suffer from sickle-cell trait, a hereditary racial characteristic of negroes, and is found in no other race - Negroes have diseased blood". - Prof. Charles Carroll

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Controversial Prague statue defaced
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »
The Hebrew inscription should be destroyed unless it had G-d's YKVK name on it.

I think that it should be destroyed even with G-d's name on it since it is a Chillul Hashem and G-d wouldn't want his name there.  Also the one who made that inscription would benefit in the world to come if someone erases it. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD