Author Topic: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!  (Read 180858 times)

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
Re: Ask MUMAN613! almost live!
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Thank you Muman that is very helpful to me :)
And thanks for taking time to add the articles!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:27 AM »
Thank you Muman that is very helpful to me :)
And thanks for taking time to add the articles!

I just found this video which discusses what we should think when when daven:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2012, 02:44:46 AM »
This is the kind of davening I do on Shabbat... I often just daven at home during the week because the minyan which I could attend is about 20 mins away... Anyway, here is a part of weekday morning davening...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2012, 03:00:47 AM »
Here is the traditional Jewish ritual for waking up:

Saying the 'Modeh Ani'...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2012, 03:08:04 AM »
And here is a morning Amidah/Standing prayer..

One more and its 'off to bed' for me...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
Here is afternoon davening at the Kotel:

Nice video on davening in general:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
Here is a little lecture on the topic of the Amidah/Shemone Esreh/Standing/18 Blessings prayer:

And more from Rabbi Sutton on Amidah:

And one more on Shema from Rabbi Sutton, then I have to get back to work here...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:44:29 PM by muman613 »

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »
Wow amazing videos Muman! I am settling in to watch them. Thanks so much.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
Muman my question is, what's your favorite verse from the Bible?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
Muman my question is, what's your favorite verse from the Bible?

I will have to think about that one... There are so many great verses in the Torah that it is a real challenge to pick a favorite..

Thanks for the question... I'll get back when I have decided...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
I will have to think about that one... There are so many great verses in the Torah that it is a real challenge to pick a favorite..

Thanks for the question... I'll get back when I have decided...

That's good  :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »
Shalom Rubystars,

I have had a day to consider what my favorite part of the Torah, and more specifically of the Chumash (5 Books), is. As I said previously this is a very difficult question as the entire Torah is dear and near to me. But at least I can recall one of my most favorite parts of the Torah and share it with everyone.

Overview

Everyone who is a believer in Hashem comes to the point when they ask the question, "Why do seemingly bad things happen to good people?". This question has been asked by mankind since the earliest times we can remember. It is sometimes difficult to see Divine Providence {Hashgacha Pratis} in the world today. Non-believers want us to believe everything that happens is because of random events, without purpose, and without moral consideration. When we can see the hand of Hashem in events in our lives we then feel the revelation which Hashem revealed to the Jewish people at Mount Sinai.

Today we are told that Hashem has hidden his face, this is called Hester Panim {Hidden Face}. The entire story of the book of Esther, which we read and celebrate during the Holiday of Purim, deals with this. Hashems name cannot be found in the entire Scroll of Esther {Megilah Esther}. Through the story which we read, of ordinary political intrigue, the hand of Hashem saves the Jewish people from certain annihilation.

Which brings me to my favorite part of the Torah, the revelation of Josephs identity to his brothers. The brothers who conspired to murder Joseph, threw him into a pit of scorpions and spiders, and sold him to a band of perfume traders who brought him into slavery of Egypt.

While reading the story it is difficult to understand why Joseph, who had incredible dreams, and who was a very beautiful boy, was treated so badly. There are explanations that suggest that Joseph was too proud of his status and was not appropriately concerned for his brothers jealousy {evil eye}. But the brothers acted wickedly against Joseph and they eventually realized this.

While Joseph rose to be viceroy of Egypt, after interpreting Pharoahs dreams, a famine fell upon the land of Israel and Jacob {Josephs father} and his brothers needed to journey to Egypt to try to procure food. The brothers ran into Joseph, who they did not recognize because Joseph dressed and spoke like an Egyptian, but Joseph recognized them.

Joseph wanted to find out if his brothers had indeed repented for what they did to him. So he engaged in a grand deception. He planted items on the brothers and accused them of stealing. He then asked them to leave the youngest brother to be a slave to the viceroy. The brothers refused because they could not return to their father {Jacob} without the youngest son because it would surely kill Jacob.

But then the time came when Joseph revealed himself. This was the moment of revelation when it could be seen that every event, including the brothers selling him into servitude, happened so that Joseph could be in a position to save his family and continue the Jewish people {the sons of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob}.

Chapter 45

1. Now Joseph could not bear all those standing beside him, and he called out, "Take everyone away from me!" So no one stood with him when Joseph made himself known to his brothers.
2. And he wept out loud, so the Egyptians heard, and the house of Pharaoh heard.
3. And Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph. Is my father still alive?" but his brothers could not answer him because they were startled by his presence.
4. Then Joseph said to his brothers, "Please come closer to me," and they drew closer. And he said, "I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt.
5. But now do not be sad, and let it not trouble you that you sold me here, for it was to preserve life that God sent me before you.
6. For already two years of famine [have passed] in the midst of the land, and [for] another five years, there will be neither plowing nor harvest.
7. And God sent me before you to make for you a remnant in the land, and to preserve [it] for you for a great deliverance.
Here is a discussion of this in relations to the story of Job/Iyov.

http://www.torah.org/learning/iyov/iyov5.html

Verse 7

The most obvious question on this verse is why does G-d need to ask the Satan where he came from? Here too the Vilna Gaon's commentary sheds some light on the issue. The heavenly tribunal cannot begin its deliberations until given permission by G-d. This rule of court applies to the prosecution (the Satan) as well. He cannot begin to argue his case until granted permission to do so. G-d is not usually inclined to lend his ear to the condemnations of the Satan just as no parent likes to hear about the faults of his or her children. This is an expression of G-d's great love for His children. On a deeper level we can understand from this that the forces of evil are not totally free to wreak havoc upon the inhabitants of this planet. Rather, they are contained by predetermined guidelines and limitations that are established by the Master of the universe.

Let us look at one story in the Bible that demonstrates this. Most of you are probably familiar with the story of Joseph and his brothers. Briefly (and superficially), the story goes as follows. Joseph's father, Jacob, displayed favor towards Joseph which caused his brothers to become jealous. The brothers respond with hatred. They kidnap Jacob and conspire unsuccessfully to kill him. In the end they sell him as a slave to nomads with the hope that he will never again have the freedom to interfere with their lives. As things turn out Joseph becomes the second most powerful person in Egypt and facilitates the eventual salvation from famine for his father, brothers and the entire Hebrew tribe. At the momentous occasion when Jacob is reunited with his brothers and reveals himself to them he responds with the following:

"And Joseph said to his brothers come close to me and they came close, and he said I am Joseph your brother that you sold [me] to Egypt. And now do not feel sad nor should there be cause for anger in your eyes that you sold me here because G-d sent me before you to supply you with food. Because there is already two years of famine in the land and there are still five more years that will not have any plowing nor harvesting. And G-d sent me before you in order to make a remainder of you and to sustain you that you may become a great remnant. And now, it was not you who sent me here rather it was G-d, and He made me an elder to Pharaoh, a master of his entire household and the governor of the entire land of Egypt." (Genesis 45: 4-8)

The point that Joseph was conveying to his brothers is that in the final analysis G-d exploited their wickedness by inducting it as a conduit for goodness, i.e. the salvation of their entire family and future Israelite nation. Not only does their ability to chose evil not interfere with the Divine plan for universal redemption, it helps facilitate it. Let us make no mistake, their choice to perpetrate evil is in no way exonerated by the fact that G-d exploited their wickedness in fulfilling His own agenda for the benefit of all mankind.

http://torah.org/learning/drasha/5761/vayigash.html

All in a Day's Work

Revenge. Though the Torah warns us against acting on our emotions, it's hard to control the desire. In fact, a dogma of modern society preaches to us not to get mad, rather to get even.

But Yoseph discloses his real identity in this week's portion, and despite a 22-year backdrop filled with excuses for anger, revenge, and retribution, he stays calm and fulfilled. Surely, we should expect to find harsh words of criticism if not acts of payback. But we don't. After Yoseph reveals his identity, and the brothers are shocked, rather than chastising his brothers, Yoseph appeases them! "Come close to me if you please, and they came close." And he said, "I am Joseph your brother -- it is me whom you sold into Egypt. And now, be not distressed, nor reproach yourselves for having sold me here, for it was to be a provider that G-d sent me ahead of you“(Genesis 45:4-5). He explains to them that the entire scenario was not even their doing but part of a Divine plan to contend with the world-hunger. "Thus Hashem has sent me ahead of you to insure your survival in the land and to sustain you for a momentous deliverance. And now -- it was not you who sent me here, but G-d; He has made me father to Pharaoh, master of his entire household, and ruler throughout the entire land of Egypt” (ibid v6-7). What type of man has the capacity not only to ignore horrible injustice totally, but to revel in it, saying that it was all meant to be, without the slightest display of bitterness or animosity? It takes an unique attitude about life.

I hope to add more commentary on this climactic part of the story of Genesis...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2012, 02:09:46 AM »
http://www.aish.com/tp/b/lp/48961151.html
JOSEPH'S UNMASKING

In order not to embarrass his brothers, Joseph ordered all the Egyptians out of the room. (He was aware of the danger involved, as they could have just killed him.) The Egyptians were all listening at the door when Joseph revealed himself to his brothers. The brothers were shocked! For 22 consecutive Yom Kippurs, while confessing their sins, they had convinced themselves that they were justified in the sale of Joseph. He had been plotting to eliminate them with his many stories to their father. He dreamed about ruling over them - this was not prophecy! The pain that their father suffered was due to the fact that he had a rotten son, and all this was not their fault! This is what they had convinced themselves for 22 years.

Suddenly one day, out of the clear blue sky, they found themselves bowing on the ground before this Egyptian viceroy, when he uttered five words that shattered their entire world: "I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?" ("If you are so concerned about your father now, why not when you sold me?")

The brothers turned white as a ghost. "If you are Joseph, and we are bowing down to you, then this means your dreams were indeed prophecies, and not your own personal yearnings. (Now we understand why he saw sheaves of grain and not lambs, because they came to buy grain.) If so, you weren't trying to destroy us, and our deeds were motivated by a tinge of jealousy. That means that all the pain we caused our father was our own fault! Woe!"

The brothers had no words of justification. On this the Sages comment: "Woe is to us on the day of judgment, when the Almighty will come and confront each of us with all our deeds." All of our patiently planned excuses will wither into thin air. Now we can appreciate the self-accounting we must do in advance of that Big Day!

The Chafetz Chaim commented that just as the brothers had no clue of what was happening, and when Joseph said "I am Joseph," it all suddenly made sense, so too we have no clue of how the Almighty runs His world. But when Moshiach comes and proclaims, "I am Moshiach," and God proclaims, "I am God," everything will become crystal clear!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
And here is one of my favorite Rabbis talking about this part of the Parasha...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2012, 03:20:08 AM »
It is no coincidence that in that Rabbi Richman video he discusses the seal from the 1st Temple period.

In todays news another seal has been discovered..

I read it on FOX news @ http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/02/ancient-hebrew-seal-discovered-near-jerusalems-first-temple/

Ancient Hebrew seal discovered near Jerusalem’s First Temple
Published May 02, 2012 | FoxNews.com

A 2,000-year-old seal bearing a name similar to that of Israel’s prime minister was discovered during excavations near the Western Wall, the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

The find was made near the remains of a building dating to the end of the First Temple period, discovered below the base of an ancient drainage channel that is currently being exposed in excavations in the Jerusalem Archaeological Garden, adjacent to the Western Wall of the Temple Mount.

[pullquote]

“The name Matanyahu, like the name Netanyahu, means giving to God,” said Eli Shukron, excavation director for the Israel Antiquities Authority.

Benjamin Netanyahu, chairman of the Likud political party, was sworn in as Prime Minister of Israel in April 2009.

“These names are mentioned several times in the Bible. They are typical of the names in the Kingdom of Judah in latter part of the First Temple period – from the end of the eighth century BCE until the destruction of the Temple in 586 BCE,” he explained.

The seal was discovered on the floor of the ancient building, where pottery sherds characteristic of the period were also discovered, as well as evidence of a fire.  The seal is made of a semi-precious stone and is engraved in Hebrew with the name of its owner: “Lematanyahu Ben Ho…” meaning: “Belonging to Matanyahu Ben Ho…”).

The rest of the inscription is erased, the archaeological society said.

People used personal seals in the First Temple period for the purpose of signing letters and they were set in a signet ring. The seals served to identify their owner, just as they identify officials today.

To find a seal from the First Temple period at the foot of the Temple Mount walls is rare and very exciting,” Shukron said.

“This is a tangible greeting of sorts from a man named Matanyahu who lived here more than 2,700 years ago.”

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »
Muman Joseph's story was always one of my favorites too. Thanks :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #241 on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
I find this explanation of the 'beauty' of Joseph to be very interesting. I hope someone who reads this can see what it is which makes the Torahs explanation of the story of Joseph so critical to our beliefs.

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/moha/48909612.html

The Torah's comments on Joseph's physical appearance are interesting:

Joseph was handsome and of fine appearance.[Genesis 39:6]

This comment is not made in Joseph's youth, or in the most logical context, the first time that he is introduced in the text. Rather, it appears only after Joseph has endured the ridicule of his brothers, sale and enslavement. The simple understanding is that the information is conveyed to explain why he attracts the attention of Potiphar's wife; in other words, it is mentioned where Joseph's physical appearance becomes relevant for the first time. However, the very verse which describes Joseph's looks is the same verse which Nachmanides alluded to above, when he pointed out the instances when Joseph would have had the ability, as head of Potiphar's household, to contact his father:

And he (Potiphar) left all that he had in the hands of Joseph ... and Joseph was handsome and of fine appearance. [Genesis 39:6]

Perhaps there is a deeper meaning to this reference to Joseph's beauty. What is the source of Joseph's good looks? The last person the Torah described as possessing beautiful looks was his mother Rachel:

And Rachel was beautiful and of fine appearance. [Genesis 29:17]

We may therefore conclude that Joseph looked like his mother. In fact both the Midrash and the Zohar allude to this connection.

Rabbi Yitzchak said, "Throw a stick to the ground, and it will land near the place you found it. For it says 'And Rachel was beautiful, and of fine appearance.' Therefore Joseph was handsome. [Midrash Rabba 86]

The Midrash is saying that "an apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and the source of Joseph's beauty was Rachel. The Zohar goes a bit further:

Whenever Joseph would walk by Jacob, he would look at Joseph, and his (Jacob's) soul would be restored, as if he was looking at the mother of Joseph, for the beauty of Joseph was similar to the beauty of Rachel. [Zohar 216b]

There seems no doubt then that Joseph's beauty was inherited from his mother. On the other hand, there are sources which indicate implicitly and explicitly that Joseph looked just like his father!

Rabbi Judah said, "His face (Joseph's) was like his (Jacob's)." [Midrash Rabba 84:8]

The Zohar, seemingly reversing itself, also stresses the resemblance between father and son:

Whoever would look at Joseph would see the image of Jacob. [Zohar 1:180a]

The similarity between father and son gives us insight to the comments of the Sages regarding Joseph's reaction to the seductive advances of the wife of Potiphar:

[When] 'she grabbed him by the clothing ...' at that moment the image of his father appeared to him in the window. [Talmud Sotah 36b]

When Joseph looks in the window he sees his own reflection, which looks just like his father. This is what strikes Joseph and saves him from temptation. If Joseph looked like his father what does it mean that his beauty was the beauty of his mother? Surely the Torah is not speaking about a trait which is only skin deep. Rachel's beauty must also represent some spiritual characteristic.

In a lengthy Midrashic discussion of the heavenly response to the destruction of the First Temple, G-d summons Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and Jeremiah. Each of these greats offers an argument as to why the Temple should be rebuilt. G-d, however, is unmoved. Then, the Midrash relates, Rachel speaks:

At that moment, our mother Rachel broke forth into speech before the Holy One, blessed be He, and said, "Sovereign of the Universe, it is revealed before You that Your servant Jacob loved me exceedingly and toiled for my father on my behalf seven years. When those seven years were completed and the time arrived for my marriage with my husband, it came to my attention that my father was conspiring to switch my sister for me. It was very hard for me, because the plot was known to me and I disclosed it to my husband; and I gave him a sign whereby he could distinguish between me and my sister, so that my father should not be able to make the substitution. After that I relented, suppressed my desire, and had pity upon my sister that she should not be exposed to shame. In the evening they substituted my sister for me with my husband, and I delivered over to my sister all the signs which I had arranged with my husband so that he should think that she was Rachel. More than that -- I went beneath the bed upon which he lay with my sister; and when he spoke to her she remained silent and I made all the replies in order that he should not recognize my sister's voice. I was kind to her, was not jealous of her, and did not expose her to shame. And if I, a creature of flesh and blood, formed of dust and ashes, was not envious of my rival and did not expose her to shame and contempt, why should You, a King Who lives eternally and are merciful, be jealous of idolatry in which there is no reality, and exile my children and let them be slain by the sword, and their enemies have done with them as they wished!" [Eicha Rabba Intro. Sec. 24]

At that G-d's mercy is touched and He responds:

"For you Rachel I will return Israel to their place." [Ibid]

The beauty and greatness of Rachel is her ability to sacrifice her personal needs or desires for the sake of her sister. Joseph displays this same trait, but only when he is older, in Egypt. At that time he is first able to contact his father, and -- as a result of the self-sacrifice not to do so -- his beauty shines through.

In the words of the Midrash, the reward for Rachel's sacrifice was the building of the Second Temple. What was the reward for Joseph's sacrifice? We have touched upon the idea of history repeating itself through the spiritual forces unleashed by the events of our forefathers' lives. The Jews were destined to be enslaved, and their enslavement was set in motion by the sale of Joseph, by the spiritual dynamic of sinat chinam, "groundless hatred," which later turns out to be the reason for the destruction of the Second Temple. The Second Temple was built upon the foundation of the love and kindness of Rachel, and, when her children ceased to act in a similar way, when hatred became a part of their lives, the Second Temple crumbled to the ground.

Extending this idea further we see that, had the potential of groundless hatred not been created, the Second Temple would not have been destroyed. This is why once the power of groundless hatred had been unleashed on the world by his brothers, Joseph sought to create a spiritual antidote.

A closer look at the original confrontation between Joseph and the brothers will clarify this concept. In the dream, which he related to his brothers, Joseph had seen that they would one day all bow down to him. But the brothers understood that the leader among the brothers, and for that matter of the entire nation, was Judah. Therefore Joseph's claim constituted a capital offense -- treason. The brothers misinterpreted Joseph's dreams as a rejection of Judah's leadership. But Joseph understood that the brothers must rally around him, a son of Rachel, as well as around Judah, son of Leah -- that the power of unity must be established as a spiritual precedent.

When the brothers come to Egypt searching for food, Joseph confronts them. The Torah describes the scene:

Joseph saw his brothers, he recognized them, and he spoke to them roughly, saying, 'From where have you come?' They said: 'From the land of Canaan, to buy food.' Joseph recognized his brothers but they did not recognize him. [Genesis 42:7-8]

The text is puzzling -- why should the Torah need to tell us twice that Joseph recognized his brothers? We recall that the metamorphosis of Judah took place in Chapter 38 of the Book of Genesis [see Parshat Vayeshev] when 'Judah recognized ...' Now, again, the Torah uses the same words to indicate that Joseph acts with pure motives, that is, "for the sake of heaven".

Joseph continues to interrogate his brothers, accusing them of being spies. In their denial, they reply:

And they said, 'Your servants are twelve, we are brothers, sons of one man from the land of Canaan, the youngest is with our father, and one is missing.' Joseph responded and said, 'That is precisely what I meant when I said you are spies.' [Genesis 42:13-14]

The dialogue is quite obscure. Why is Joseph accusing them of being spies? What is he trying to get out of them? What does he hope their response will be? The answer is remarkably simple: He wants them to admit to "spying," that is, looking for their missing brother. He wants the brothers to rectify their perfidy. The truest repentance will be if they seek out Joseph, and rally around him as a brother, not as a replacement for Judah, but as a son of Rachel.

But the brothers miss their chance, so Joseph creates a second, albeit lesser, opportunity for rectification. If the brothers can rally around Benjamin, the second son of Rachel, they can be forgiven.

This is precisely what happens. Consequently, Benjamin becomes the unifying force in Israel. The Temple will stand in his territory. But this unity is incomplete -- it revolves around Benjamin and not around Joseph -- therefore later the Jewish people will once again become disunited and the Temple will fall, destroyed by groundless hatred.

The laws of repentance describe "complete" rectification as an exact repetition, that is having the same opportunity for sin arise and yet refraining from it.

How is one proved a repentant sinner? ... Rab Judah indicated: "With the same woman, at the same time, in the same place." [Yoma 86b, codified by Rambam "Laws of Teshuva" 2:1]

This did not take place. The brothers did not risk presenting themselves to the Prince of Egypt as spies, searching for their brother, wanting to find him at all costs to rectify their sin. But they did show that they were not capable of the same deed when they refused to sell out Benjamin. Repentance was there but incomplete, and therefore insufficient to eradicate their sin completely. Only repentance involving Joseph himself could have provided the complete antidote for the power of sinat chinam, the groundless hatred, the brothers had unleashed. We can now understand the comment of Rashi when Joseph and Benjamin embrace and Joseph cries on his younger brother's shoulder:

He cried ... [because] the two Temples which will stand in the portion of Binyamin will be destroyed. [Rashi, Genesis 45:14]

Joseph understood that one day the Jewish people will have to rally behind Joseph, not as a substitute for Judah, but as a preparation for the Kingdom of Judah. Apparently, Nachamides' comment that Joseph waited for fruition of his dreams before contacting his father, referred to the creation of spiritual precedents for the Jewish people.

There will be two messiahs one day -- Messiah Son of Joseph, who prepares the way for the Messiah Son of David, himself a descendent of Judah. According to tradition, the Messiah Son of Joseph will unite all Israel in preparation for the arrival of the Messiah Son of David, but will die in the process [Sukka 52a] in an act of self-sacrifice for his people. Just like his ancestor Rachel, whose self-sacrifice allowed the building of the Second Temple, his self-sacrifice will allow the building of the Third Temple. The spiritual model is Joseph, who chose not to contact his father even though it would have made for a "nicer" life.

Joseph the dreamer, the visionary, the interpreter of dreams, saw that which his brothers could not. He dedicated his life to others; he was the great provider for others. He passed on himself a sentence of loneliness, in order that others would have the chance to be redeemed. He was truly beautiful, just like his mother.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
Muman, do you still listen to some secular music?
I have a friend who is telling me I have to give up all the secular things that I like and grew up with. Now I am turned off from living a more observant life thanks to my friend.
To give you an example, when I was a kid I would run home to watch old reruns of the 1960s Addams family. And now as an adult I still enjoy watching things like The Simpsons. While I drive, I like to listen to music... mostly 70s classic rock music but modern "post-punk" music as well.
But now according to my friend all these things are negative things that I have to give up for ever.
I though living an observant life would be a happy joyous one but my friend has severely scared me and turned me off from it. I told him that there has to be a way I can balance everything but he says those are all negative influences that I need to stay away from because they will lead me and future children into a bad path. He says that I obviously cannot distinguish between good and bad influences and it's better to just stop liking all these things. He says what he is telling is 100% the Torah way of life and I can't do or like all the things I do and live a Torah life. Worst yet, he is telling me that I have to choose and that I am in danger of throwing everything away because of tv and music.

Am I a bad person for disagreeing with him? I am now confused and scared. How can someone make me choose just like that. I'm afraid the Torah religious way of life is not for me if it is the way my friend is painting it. I might as well go live in a cave and read all night by candlelight (or so it seems).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2012, 02:04:19 AM »
Muman, do you still listen to some secular music?
I have a friend who is telling me I have to give up all the secular things that I like and grew up with. Now I am turned off from living a more observant life thanks to my friend.
To give you an example, when I was a kid I would run home to watch old reruns of the 1960s Addams family. And now as an adult I still enjoy watching things like The Simpsons. While I drive, I like to listen to music... mostly 70s classic rock music but modern "post-punk" music as well.
But now according to my friend all these things are negative things that I have to give up for ever.
I though living an observant life would be a happy joyous one but my friend has severely scared me and turned me off from it. I told him that there has to be a way I can balance everything but he says those are all negative influences that I need to stay away from because they will lead me and future children into a bad path. He says that I obviously cannot distinguish between good and bad influences and it's better to just stop liking all these things. He says what he is telling is 100% the Torah way of life and I can't do or like all the things I do and live a Torah life. Worst yet, he is telling me that I have to choose and that I am in danger of throwing everything away because of tv and music.

Am I a bad person for disagreeing with him? I am now confused and scared. How can someone make me choose just like that. I'm afraid the Torah religious way of life is not for me if it is the way my friend is painting it. I might as well go live in a cave and read all night by candlelight (or so it seems).

Shalom IsraeliHeart,

I am very sorry for this situation and I am afraid that I cannot really give you the advice you need.

I do listen to secular music and by some standards it is not the most frum music to listen to. Although I have reduced a great deal the amount of secular music and video programming and movies which I watch. But from time to time I still watch some of those old shows. Like you mentioned the Addams family, etc.... I liked the old Mission Impossible and Space 1999 episodes and they are available on the internet.

But I understand that there is something which distracts us from the ultimate goal of our life. While I do study a good amount of Torah every day, and I put in a full day of work, I do find time to watch videos of movies and music I used to like.

My advice is that we should attempt to reduce the amount of secular material we consume. I don't know your relation with your friend but I would hope he could be a bit more understanding that it takes time to make these kinds of life changes, and you must really want to do it, not just to please someone else.

I know that sometimes the 'frum from birth' Jews cannot understand us Baal Teshuva, who are born in a world where Judaism is not lived, who must make these changes which seem foreign to us and our families. I know my mother doesn't quite understand why it is so important for me to observe the Jewish holidays and to identify as a proud Jew.

In a nutshell I recommend you find a good 'Modern Orthodox' Rabbi and ask him what to do. I agree with your friend that it would be optimal to be able to dedicate more of your time and focus on Jewish issues, studying Torah and doing the mitzvot, if you give up some of these entertainments. But we are also required to serve Hashem with joy, not with the feeling of dread. So you must somehow find something which gives you joy. Music is joyous, and you should be able to find some music which is 'kosher'.

I hope your emmunah remains strong no matter what your friend says or does, because I know you are a great Jewess who wants only the best...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2012, 03:09:50 AM »
Muman, thank you. I don't study enough Torah I admit that. But I'll put a lot of effort into studying more.

I'll talk to my friend and see what we can work out. I feel a lot better now. He's a BT. I am far from it.

Thank you so much.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #245 on: February 28, 2013, 01:18:23 AM »
Muman, who are the Samaritans? On one side, I hear that they are a tribe of Israel that stayed behind and they consider themselves to be completely Jewish. On the other side, I hear that they were a nation that was transplanted into Israel and think themselves to be an ancient nation of Israel.

They have names that sound Hebrew, have their own Torah, their own temple etc..

Are they Jewish or Gentiles?

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
My beautiful brother (I like how the rabbi in some of your video calls everyone that /sister), why are we not required to wear a kippah when sleeping? If G-d is watching over us and not slumbering, are we in his presence?

Does it have something to do with the soul traveling outside of the body when sleeping? Obviously it does no all leave the body but does part of it not get out and go somewhere else while people sleep?

As for the question about G-d not wanting someone to have a wife. The only thing I can think of is if someone was very cruel with his wife in their previous life; in the next life they are not able to find a wife or they get one who is cruel to them. But not many people may agree with this, as it involves reincarnation. But I heard it from my rabbi.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:30 PM »
Does it have something to do with the soul traveling outside of the body when sleeping? Obviously it does no all leave the body but does part of it not get out and go somewhere else while people sleep?

As for the question about G-d not wanting someone to have a wife. The only thing I can think of is if someone was very cruel with his wife in their previous life; in the next life they are not able to find a wife or they get one who is cruel to them. But not many people may agree with this, as it involves reincarnation. But I heard it from my rabbi.
I don't know, but that makes alot of sense, beings while we sleep or meditate we are closer to HaShem and the Angelic Realm.

What do you think about if you were a bad person, you suffer more in the next life?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2013, 11:52:36 PM »
Yes unless if the person actually does teshuvah. Only Hashem knows where He will send the soul. If one was very cruel to someone, he or she may come back in the next life and suffer cruelty from the person he attacked in the previous life. Sometimes this happens with children who give their parents a hard time, coming back in reversed roles of parent and child. Stealing is said to be a transgression that one comes back to the world to correct.
Sometimes the soul is just sent to be purified and is done. Sometimes it has to come back to the world. Born deaf? Ask how much lashon hara did the person listen to in a previous life? It's in this lecture about reincarnations. It really opened my eyes. The lecture covers why people are born blind, as animals, where the wicked are sent. Moshe Rabbeinu was Abel in a previous life etc.. My favorite lecture.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #249 on: March 03, 2013, 02:35:01 AM »
I don't think we do Teshuvah in this life for something from a previous life. How could we, if we don't remember. But in this the current life, we are put through situations which may allow us to correct what we faulted in this life and the last. Sometimes those situations may hurt, may make us suffer. But who knows if in a previous life we made others to suffer and are now completing our tikun for it. That's why when something bad happens to me, I accept it and ask Hashem to forgive me and to change any harsh judgements against me.

The best thing we can do in this life and live a good life in which we love Hashem aim to get closer to Him. And follow His laws.