Author Topic: Do the badger and rabbit chew cud? - Leviticus 11:5-6  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
Do the badger and rabbit chew cud? - Leviticus 11:5-6
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:52:49 AM »
Do the badger and rabbit chew cud?
Leviticus 11:5-6

(Lev. 11:5-6) - "‘Likewise, the rock badger, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you; 6 the rabbit also, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you."

The problem here is that cud is food that is regurgitated from the stomach into the mouth so that it can be chewed again and neither the rock badger or the rabbit regurgitate their food into their stomachs to chew.

The solution is that these animals were categorized with other animals who appeared to chew cud because they move their jaws in the same manner as the other animals listed.

Lev. 11:3    Whatever divides a hoof, thus making split hoofs, and chews the cud, among the animals, that you may eat.
Lev. 11:4    ‘Nevertheless, you are not to eat of these, among those which chew the cud, or among those which divide the hoof: the camel, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you.
Lev. 11:5    ‘Likewise, the rock badger, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you;
Lev. 11:6    the rabbit also, for though it chews cud, it does not divide the hoof, it is unclean to you;
Lev. 11:7    and the pig, for though it divides the hoof, thus making a split hoof, it does not chew cud, it is unclean to you.

It is known that rabbits practice what is called "refection," in which indigestible vegetable matter towards certain bacteria and is passed as droppings and then eaten again.  This process enables the rabbit to better digest it.  This process is very similar to rumination, and it gives the impression of chewing the cud.  So, the Hebrew phrase "chewing the cud" should not be taken in the modern technical sense, but in the ancient sense of a chewing motion that includes both rumination and refection in the modern sense.
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Do the badger and rabbit chew cud? - Leviticus 11:5-6
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:43:28 AM »
I have "hyrix" instead of "rock badger".  Your explanation is a good one and is stated by some commentaries as a possibility; that chewing the cud is not a good translation but a more general translation of re chewing food since these animals rechew food differently than the kosher animals.  Another explanation is that the animals meant by these two hebrew words are not known to this day and they don't mean the hyrix and the hare since they don't chew there cud like the other animals but they mean something else that was lost in the passage of time and in the modern hebrew translation. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:45:37 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD