Author Topic: Holocaust Fiction  (Read 657 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Holocaust Fiction
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:51 AM »
The recent discussion about the Day the Clown Cried got me to thinking. I really don't like Holocaust fiction at all, or even the idea of it.

It disturbs me for three main reasons.

One, people make money from selling books, movies, and other media related to the Holocaust. It's as if these people are making money off the deaths of Jews, gypsies, disabled whites, and other people who were murdered. It seems like blood money to me.

Secondly it seems wrong for something so horrible to be turned into any form of entertainment. How can someone feel entertained and therefore happy or satisfied watching or reading fiction about something like that?

Third, fictional accounts distort the reality of it, adding things that might not have happened, taking away essential details, etc. It might make people forget or misunderstand what really happened if all they see is the fictional movie or book version.

This could be even worse if the movie is about a real event, but elaborations or omissions are put into the story to make it flow better.

I think that only documentary films or nonfiction books of the highest quality should be allowed.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Holocaust Fiction
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:03 AM »
I agree with you. It is sickening. As soon as that topic was posted, I instantly had a visceral reaction to the self-hating jerk Jerry Lewis (and any Jew that would take such a role is a self-hater). It's beyond shameful.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
There are too many important stories to tell from the holocaust for people to create fictional ones.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:11 AM »
I disagree, historic events are a worthy subject for fiction. And also there is the matter of freedom of expression.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »
I disagree, historic events are a worthy subject for fiction. And also there is the matter of freedom of expression.

This is much more than a simple historical event. This was an attempt to destroy God's chosen people off the face of the earth. In addition to that others were murdered in cold blood too. It shouldn't be made light of whatsoever.

I don't have a problem with WW2 based fiction in general. I think it was ok, for example, for Indiana Jones movies to have him be opposed to Nazis, for example, but to make light of the Holocaust itself is just, well, wrong.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
I think that historical fiction has a lot of value. It has to follow the historical facts and you fill in people's actions, words and emotions to bring the storyline to life and attract a large audience.

Movies like The Patriot and John Adams are perfect examples.  I can read the history books and understand the general message, but when I see the movie it makes a much longer impression because it engages and plays on my emotions. I can relate with the charachters.

In regards to the Holocaust, I think there needs to be an effort to have more first person recordings, movies and books about it. We are moving into a time when the last of the survivors are dying off. In another generation it will have less meaning and more of a chance of being downplayed and called a lie.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
I think the thing that disturbs me most is that it becomes a drama film-- a form of fun entertainment. It shouldn't be fun.