Author Topic: Quizz for bible-foxes  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Quizz for bible-foxes
« on: September 10, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »
The difficulty level starts very low and is then rising.  :)

I show an ancient copper engraving and you have to tell what is mentioned on the plate.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:43:26 PM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Quizz for bible-foxes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
Adam and Eve being driven out of the garden?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
The difficulty level starts very low and is then rising.  :)

I show an ancient copper engraving and you have to tell what is mentioned on the plate.

Adam and Eve  getting kicked out ofthe Garden of Eden
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 01:43:38 PM by Pheasant »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Pheasant,

Im sorry but I will quote from the 10 Commandments:

2. You shall have no other gods before Me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, nor any manner of likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them, nor serve them. For I the Lord your G-d am a jealous G-d, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children of the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me; and showing mercy unto the thousandth generation of them that love Me and keep My commandments.

As a result I do not like images of any kind of things in heaven {like angels}.

muman613

PS: Call me a literalist or whatever. We dont know what angels look like.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »

PS: Call me a literalist or whatever. We dont know what angels look like.

I've heard Orthodox Christians criticize Catholics and Protestants for making angels look like Valkyries. Maybe it's not good to have these carvings and I see your point, but I think the important point is that we don't worship the images.

I know what you're talking about though. As an analogy that whole shroud of Turin thing pisses me off as a Christian because people seem to worship it and it's not even real.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:53:23 PM »
I think it's described somwhere in midrash they angels are very tall.The serafim praise G-D so hard they burn up in any event most Haggadahs do have pictures of Angels
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »
I think it's described somwhere in midrash they angels are very tall.The serafim praise G-D so hard they burn up in any event most Haggadahs do have pictures of Angels
Mord,

Are you referring to Cherubim? I know that the Cherubim are on the ark... But the issue about imagery is pretty literal. Once you ascribe an image to something which is ethereal you have affected the understanding of the force. I will not ascribe any imagery to anything in heaven because we cannot even fathom what that world is like. We are finite while the world of Hashem is infinite.

Everyone must decide on their own approach. So I will not make a judgement.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
On a side note that is a very beautiful carving.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:30 PM »
Yes it is

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »
Ok Muman no bible quizz  :)

I think you are right. If I think deeper it is true. :)
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
It looks like the angel is wearing sun glasses

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 01:13:10 PM »

It does look like

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »

No the compression has ruined it. He has lowered his view. He looks to the down-right corner of the graving.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
I find that picture offensive. Eve has terrible manly legs, and biceps, and she's ugly.

Adam has no underpants on.    You'd think at the time he is banished he'd have a covering there.  And all these old paintings or carvings ask the obvious question, why do all these old paintings or carvings depict naked men all poorly endowed like a baby.

And the women are always completely horrendous looking. Fat, ugly, everything wrong. There's no way that any men with normal tastes would like that.

The picture actually makes me realise , it looks like the animals were left in Eden.  I suppose they spread out of their own accord.  Or maybe they were all banished.

A painting of "angels" shown as men with wings, is very very christian.  I know these are cherubim, and cherubim , the live kind, may have had wings, perhaps metaphorically. But they are not depicted in judaism.
A depiction of an angel.. and with wings. Is VERY VERY christian, like something in a church.

It would be bad if irreligious jews saw that and didn't know..

I have seen jews educated in christnan schools, talking about archangels , and things that are very christian. And they thought it's judaism.

So if you're going to show such a christian picture of a biblical scene, then you should say so. So that people know.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
q-q I have taken specially a picture from that illustrates a scene from Moses. It is from Merian.

So now I will remove the pictures and lock the thread.