Poll

Do the songs "Rockabye" by Shawn Mullins and "Pepper" by the [Removed by tbot] sound similar?

Yes
1 (12.5%)
No
4 (50%)
Not sure
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Just For Fun: A Music Poll--Alternative Pop of the Late '90s  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Just For Fun: A Music Poll--Alternative Pop of the Late '90s
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »
Oh Please...

Kurt Saved Rock.... He never would have known Rock music if it hit him in the face...

When you live your life like a heroine addict, who whines and moans to music, you will most probrobly die from your depression. I was a Deadhead for all the years of Grunge and that was REAL ROCK music compared to Cobains drivel.

Sorry... But I adamantly think this music was shlock...

muman613

What did those equally drugged-out hippies ever do for rock? At least Kurt had rage, passion, zeal, and desire. I do not defend his lifestyle, but Nirvana blew Jerry Garcia back to the Stone Age.  :P

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 09:07:49 PM »
What did those equally drugged-out hippies ever do for rock? At least Kurt had rage, passion, zeal, and desire. I do not defend his lifestyle, but Nirvana blew Jerry Garcia back to the Stone Age.  :P

Jerry Garcia is a drug addict version of Bob Ross

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 09:09:10 PM »
bob ross kicked @$$ tho!! 
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 09:14:05 PM »

Jerry Garcia is a drug addict version of Bob Ross

Oh please..

Jerry Garcia was one of the MOST TALENTED Rock Guitarists of our lifetime. There is nothing which Cobain did which can even touch the magnificence of Jerry's playing styles. It is shocking that anyone would even make such a comparison. The DEAD were miles above the single style mumblings of Nirvana. If you would like we could compare style for style how the Dead obliterated any grunge band...

The Dead are still growing in popularity and they have not produced anything new in over 15 years. The Dead are popular even amongst people much younger than me. I got into the band in 1984, while they had already been around for 20 years. There is no way Nirvana will have such a following 15 years after the death of Cobain.

It is easy to make swipes at the Dead but anyone who gives them a sincere listen will usually be amazed at the talent and the musical skills of the members of the band.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »
Oh please..

Jerry Garcia was one of the MOST TALENTED Rock Guitarists of our lifetime. There is nothing which Cobain did which can even touch the magnificence of Jerry's playing styles. It is shocking that anyone would even make such a comparison. The DEAD were miles above the single style mumblings of Nirvana. If you would like we could compare style for style how the Dead obliterated any grunge band...

The Dead are still growing in popularity and they have not produced anything new in over 15 years. The Dead are popular even amongst people much younger than me. I got into the band in 1984, while they had already been around for 20 years. There is no way Nirvana will have such a following 15 years after the death of Cobain.

It is easy to make swipes at the Dead but anyone who gives them a sincere listen will usually be amazed at the talent and the musical skills of the members of the band.

muman613

What do mean oh please you said in an earlier post we dont need to like the same stuff and to me this guy sucks just like the ice cream named after him

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:12 PM »
Happy little trees, etc...   ;D
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
What do mean oh please you said in an earlier post we dont need to like the same stuff and to me this guy sucks just like the ice cream named after him

It is true... You like things much different than me... I love Cherry Garcia ice cream. It is just sad that people think that whining and complaining about life is what music is about. Just a week before Cobain killed himself we bought his album and I listened to it once... I hated it and gave it away to a friend who liked that kind of stuff. I was kinda glad he was not contributing any more of that stuff. And as I said before, I am glad Grunge is dead!

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »
The dead were great, their drug use aside.

Most of the Lyrics, however, were written by Robert Hunter. (although Jerry wrote a lot too)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
It is true... You like things much different than me... I love Cherry Garcia ice cream. It is just sad that people think that whining and complaining about life is what music is about. Just a week before Cobain killed himself we bought his album and I listened to it once... I hated it and gave it away to a friend who liked that kind of stuff. I was kinda glad he was not contributing any more of that stuff. And as I said before, I am glad Grunge is dead!

muman613

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »
As liberal as Stephen Colbert is I think I'd buy that ice cream. At least he's honest about being a liberal when out of character unlike so many other "conservative" hosts.

He's funny too, even if his satire bites at conservativism.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »
As liberal as Stephen Colbert is I think I'd buy that ice cream. At least he's honest about being a liberal when out of character unlike so many other "conservative" hosts.

He's funny too, even if his satire bites at conservativism.

His show is funny

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »
I would not say grunge is dead--not by a long, long shot. Various incarnations of it keep coming up and have ever since the original wave (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.) died out. Some big recent grunge or "neo-grunge" acts are Stone Sour, Seether, Saliva, Staind, etc.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:42 PM »
I would not say grunge is dead--not by a long, long shot. Various incarnations of it keep coming up and have ever since the original wave (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.) died out. Some big recent grunge or "neo-grunge" acts are Stone Sour, Seether, Saliva, Staind, etc.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 02:42:49 AM »
Shlock is a yiddish word which means 'junk' or 'poor quality'.

;D
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schlock

Our Living Language  : A good number of English words borrowed from Yiddish (a variety of German with an admixture of Hebrew and Slavic elements) are recognizably of foreign extraction because they begin with sound combinations (shl-, shm-, shn-) not found at the beginnings of native English words. Schlock is such a word; it is descended from a Middle High German word for a hit or blow, and thus came to refer to damaged merchandise, and then to merchandise of poor quality. Other words beginning with this and similar sound combinations are Yiddish also: schlep, schlemiel, schmooze, schmuck, and schnoz. These words may not be equally common in all regions of the United States; they are most frequently heard in areas with sizable Jewish populations that either speak Yiddish or are descended from Yiddish speakers, such as New York City. Of course, not all Yiddish words borrowed into English begin with the sound (sh); one need only think of bagel, lox, blintz, nosh, meshugga, and kibbitz to get a feeling for the variety of words that Yiddish-speaking Jews brought with them to America.

muman613

PS: I believe everyone has a right to like or dislike what he/she wants. But I have a definate dislike for this kind of depressing and melancholy music.

Something tells me you're not a fan of the Smiths or Morrissey :thumbsdown:...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2008, 02:44:38 AM »
Something tells me you're not a fan of the Smiths or Morrissey :thumbsdown:...

Good guess...
 :whew:

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 02:51:24 AM »
I did like that band Failure from the late 90's with their song "stuck on you." Same with that band Feeder and the Primitive Radio Gds.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2008, 03:01:35 AM »
I remember the mid 90's... Songs like:

"What if g-d was like one of us, just a slob like some of us..."

And that disgusts me today...

muman613

Joan Osbourne

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make his way home

Oh, now I understand its about the man...

muman613

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 03:55:16 AM »
I remember the mid 90's... Songs like:

"What if g-d was like one of us, just a slob like some of us..."

And that disgusts me today...

muman613

Joan Osbourne

Oh, now I understand its about the man...

muman613

That song is awful

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
Such AWFUL musical taste.

Listen to Great Music, it will turbocharge your mind.

Mediocre music numbs the mind.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2008, 12:06:06 PM »
Such AWFUL musical taste.

Listen to Great Music, it will turbocharge your mind.

Mediocre music numbs the mind.