Author Topic: YouTube bans knife and gun videos  (Read 1305 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
YouTube bans knife and gun videos
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?YouTube_bans_knife_and_gun_videos&in_article_id=314919&in_page_id=34

YouTube has moved to stem growing concern that its website glamourises violence by banning videos featuring weapons.

The Google-owned video-sharing site has decided to introduce the ban for the UK only amid widespread unease about the increase in knife crime in the country.

It says that any video which is clearly "showing weapons with the aim of intimidation" will be taken down from the site.

Not all such videos will be removed immediately, however, as the ban will not be retrospective and any offending footage already on the site will need to be reported again.

"We recognise that there has been particular concern over videos in the UK that involve showing weapons with the aim of intimidation, and this is one of the areas we are addressing," a YouTube spokesperson said.

The move has been welcomed by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith as a "real step forward" and she encouraged other sites to take similar action.

"I would like to see other internet service providers follow suit to reinforce our message that violence will not be tolerated either on the internet or in the real world," she said.

Today's announcement follows a cross-party report by MPs this summer which warned that the internet had a "dark side" from which users need to be protected against.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
Re: YouTube bans knife and gun videos
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
What does it take to host and run our own Web hosting site and video hosting site? I am waiting for the day tha Netwokr Solutions takes down my sites. Is it just some servers in rack with a UPS? If you host everything yourself but considered controversial can the ISP cut your internet access?

Can anyone answer this? Shlomo?
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:59:53 PM »
What does it take to host and run our own Web hosting site and video hosting site? I am waiting for the day tha Netwokr Solutions takes down my sites. Is it just some servers in rack with a UPS? If you host everything yourself but considered controversial can the ISP cut your internet access?

Can anyone answer this? Shlomo?

It depends, they can't just cut your servers because of "unfavorable" content, if it's illegal however, the ISP can revoke service.

You can host offshore, I had servers in Malaysia for a while but they weren't very fast.

Hosting just requires you to have a server, domain address and some webserver software. I run several servers for webhosting and I am also a reseller for a registrar.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
I was planning on posting some Gun Vids of my slef. Now they want to ban it. Sick they claim to be for free speach. But it's only when they agree with you.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
I was planning on posting some Gun Vids of my slef. Now they want to ban it. Sick they claim to be for free speach. But it's only when they agree with you.

It claims as long as it's not intimidating, so you should be able to, i'm not removing my gun videos.

The Google-owned video-sharing site has decided to introduce the ban for the UK only amid widespread unease about the increase in knife crime in the country.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
It depends, they can't just cut your servers because of "unfavorable" content, if it's illegal however, the ISP can revoke service.

You can host offshore, I had servers in Malaysia for a while but they weren't very fast.

Hosting just requires you to have a server, domain address and some webserver software. I run several servers for webhosting and I am also a reseller for a registrar.

If I ever get shut down I wll call you for advice. Thanks White Israelite.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »
If I ever get shut down I wll call you for advice. Thanks White Israelite.

NP, PM me for cell number and i'll give you it.