Author Topic: Prophets  (Read 5879 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Prophets
« on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:26 PM »
Which prophet do jews relate to most, in terms of teachings and goodness?
why was the Torah sent down and to who, what is it comprised of?

Thank you  :).

Don't you ever get the feeling that you maybe wrong? There are both Jews and Christians on this website. Two different religions, who even if they do believe in similar teachings they do completely different things. I sometimes fall to the understanding that maybe there is no correct religion. It sounds crazy, but how do we know? As people we all believe that our religion is right and the truth, but there are also people out there who believe that theirs-a different religion- is correct. One is not more intelligent then the other.....but believe different things. At the end of the day, we will end up making a choice that could be rewarding or fatal, thats the power of religion. Religion causes you to believe in what you don't see and this is the only way forward.
I don't even know what i'm saying anymore. Theres too many complicated details in religion....it has built over many centuries.

The time of the prophets must have been amazing. So many miracles, stories that seem almost fictional to us. Our world today has become dull. I blame technology ;D.

Offline Fruit of thy loins

• Master JTFer
Re: Prophets
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:31:11 PM »
Well, the Torah was handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai miraculously.  The Christian New Testament is the work of men with an agenda.  The Torah on the other hand is Divine - it could not possibly have originated in the minds of men.

As for the Koran - well Sarah, people here are not going to be sympathetic towards it.  It is very obviously the work of evil men and not G-d.  :)
Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »
I want to become a jew in the future. Do you know any good and verified websites where i can read the torah?

About moses on mount sinai, he took some men up there with him, right? They wanted to see GOD but then God blinded them for their arrogance because they shouldn't have to believe in only what they see. Then theres something about a golden calf idol who the people prayed to?
I'm sorry if it is wrong, its what i've been told and its in the quran.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Sarah,

I'm Jewish, and there's nothing about other men going to the top of Mt. Sinai with Moses.  G-d spoke with Moses.  But since Moses was a stutterer, G-d told him to use his brother Aaron to help him speak to the Phaaroh. 

The golden calf incident happened when Moses went up to Mt. Sinai for the first time to speak with G-d and receive his Commandments.  If I remember correctly, Moses was up on that mountain for about forty days.  It was during this time that the Hebrews below, not knowing what became of Moses, got restless, and decided to build themselves a golden calf to worship.  G-d saw what was happening and told Moses to get back down there. 

When Moses got back down from the mountains with the tablet containing the Commandments and saw it with his own eyes, he got very angry and threw down the tablets.  He also had all the idol worshippers killed, then went back up to the mountain, where G-d gave him the Commandments again. 

You can read all about it in the book of Exodus Chapters 32:1 - 33:2.  Or, you can do a web search for Moses, golden calf, exodus.  The version I am going by is The Holy Scriptures According to the Masoretic Text, published by the Jewish Publication Society of America. 

The whole golden calf incident in covered in the book of Exodus,

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »
I might also add that the rest of the Hebrew Bible, the Prophets and the Writings, are actually already to be found in the Torah.  Moses already knew everything that was to become of Israel, the whole history as represented by the writings of the Bible, what would happen if it followed the Commandments and what would happen if it went astray.   
Every white woman deserves the black man of her dreams.  But what does every white man deserve?

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »
Who were the last prophets?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:32:21 PM »
I want to become a jew in the future.

Wow,  I only just realized that you said this.

Orthodox Jews don't let women study the Torah.  SO your way in would be through marrying a Jewish man.  I imagine you'd need to get involved with an Orthodox Jewish community and get on friendly terms with the Rabbis.  If they love their Jewish son and want at least for his children to be Jews I think they will take in a former gentile woman.

Orthodox seems the way for the truly religious.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to join the Liberal Jewish movement.  It is degenerate. 

But the mere thought of making a conversation ought to fill a gentile up with dread - what a burden you place on yourself!  G-d no longer indulges you like a neglectful parent.   You have put an immense burden on yourself - indeed an honour and a privilege which you probably don't fully grasp!

It could be likened to climbing a mountain.

You should be awed even at the prospect.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »
FOTL, that is not true women may learn the Torah
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
FOTL, that is not true women may learn the Torah

I apologize.  I was misinformed.  :)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 01:57:57 PM »
Fruit perhaps you and Sarah can marry
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:39:57 PM »
Fruit perhaps you and Sarah can marry

I told them both that they should marry each other. Sarah said she's too young for him.

Speaking of Sarah, where has she been lately?

Maybe studying?
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »

I won’t be posting very much anymore but I’ll try my best to do so and listen to all of Chaims shows.
Discovering the truth seemed too good and simple to be true.
Yes, I have shamed, my family and everyone else. In other words, they’ve seen everything I’ve written…the messages...posts and aren’t exactly very pleased. 
To hell with it, I’ll come back on despite what it may take.
About becoming a Jew. I will –God Willing- become so.
I was reading the Exodus in a bible yesterday, the story of Moses and then later on I went somewhere and listed on a wall were commandments that were quoted from another section. It stated that we must, keep the Sabbath day and not do any work ………this is Shabbat , right? So if Christians believe in the Exodus, why don’t they keep it as well?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »

Yes, I have shamed, my family and everyone else. In other words, they’ve seen everything I’ve written…the messages...posts and aren’t exactly very pleased. 

Be careful as Chaim said to you before.  Muslims will literally kill you if you don't obey.  What a sick people Muslims are.  I cannot believe the Anglo-Saxons tolerate Muslim brutality towards innocent people such as yourself right here in Anglo-Saxonland.  Be safe and meet a nice man someday.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »

I won’t be posting very much anymore but I’ll try my best to do so and listen to all of Chaims shows.
About becoming a Jew. I will –G-d Willing- become so.
I was reading the Exodus in a bible yesterday, the story of Moses and then later on I went somewhere and listed on a wall were commandments that were quoted from another section. It stated that we must, keep the Sabbath day and not do any work ………this is Shabbat , right? So if Christians believe in the Exodus, why don’t they keep it as well?

Sorry to hear about your situation. Keep in touch with the forum and be well. You will always have a place here with your JTF friends.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »

About becoming a Jew. I will –G-d Willing- become so.

Most christians believe the Tanach is old, the law replaced.

Judaism says that you don't have to be jewish. It actually defines 613 laws for jews, and 7 laws for gentiles. 

The 10 commandments are part of the jewish laws, but there are 603 others. The 10 commandments also serve as general categories for the rest of the 613.
Being jewish is very demanding.

The 7 noachide laws are easy to google! All 7 are sourced in the Oral Law, and like all laws, they are (vaguely) hinted at, or written explicitly, in the written torah.

You will learn alot from reading the bible, but it can get tedious sometimes!!

There are audio bibles around, you could load files on an mp3 player. You can buy one or download one from a PTP application like eMule.

You will learn alot fast  because the book of Genesis covers thousands of years of history.  The book of exodus quickly gets to Moshe.  Receiving the torah. I haven't read much of the rest, but it's in moses's lifetime, , not a huge period of time. And from receiving the torah, to the end of the 5 books, it's wandering around a desert, and mose dies. Then you get the Books of the prophets , starting with Joshua, where they enter Israel.   

A summary of the tenach is useful..

http://bible.ort.org/books/divreid2.asp

and consider the audio bible.
It's perfect if you're young, 'cos at school, you could listen.
Or if driving with no GPS, and you are still able to concentrate on the road,
Or if on public transport.
Or if in a job that you can "listen to music" in !

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
The Ten Commandments contains 12 of the 613, not 10. The Ten "Commandments" is not an accurate translation. They are really called The Ten Utterances.

many sites talk of 613, 603.
e.g.
http://www.jewfaq.org/10.htm
"the other 603"

do you have any source for the 10 commandments"/"utterances being 12?  I can't even find a website mentioning it.