Author Topic: Outrageous English-Arabic Flashcards for kids teaches jihad!?!  (Read 971 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Outrageous English-Arabic Flashcards for kids teaches jihad!?!
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:01:50 AM »
Flash Cards Designed to Teach English Translations
of Arabic Have a Curious Way of Doing It

by Guy Rodgers
Executive Director of ACT

We’ve all seen flash cards used to teach math functions and simple words. But we’re sure you haven’t seen flash cards like these!

One of our chapter leaders happened to be in a Barnes & Noble bookstore in Minnesota, and saw a package of flash cards apparently intended to help someone translate Arabic words and phrases into English.

What he saw when he bought the cards was, to say the least, far different than what he expected.

Here is a sample of some of the English words and phrases translated from the Arabic in this flash card set.

“assassination attempt”
“counter strike”
“attack”
“air strike”
“enemy”
“The army seized power”
“We buried the dead man yesterday”
“to seize power”
“martyr”
“to die in a battle”

To see a PDF image of the actual flashcards, designed by Fethi Mansouri, please click here. You will need Adobe Reader or similar software to view the image.

I guess we’re pretty straight-laced here in America. Our flashcards designed to teach English have such controversial words and phrases such as “thank you,” “could you please help me?”, and “what time is it?” I don’t think you’ll find an English translation flashcard set with words like “assassination attempt.”

One has to wonder who would need an Arabic flash card set that translates “assassination attempt” into English. Then again, maybe we shouldn’t have to wonder at all.

Guy Rodgers
Executive Director

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACT for America
P.O. Box 6884
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
www.actforamerica.org

See these crazy flash-cards for yourself:

http://tool.donation-net.net/Images/Email/1097/Arabic_flash_cards.pdf

muman613

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:36:38 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Outrageous English-Arabic Flashcards for kids teaches jihad!?!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:14:19 AM »

We’ve all seen flash cards used to teach math functions and simple words. But we’re sure you haven’t seen flash cards like these!

One of our chapter leaders

not you of course

Right at the end, once one scrolls down, it says the guy that wrote the article, not you. And the organisation - not JTF.

If you are pasting an article from somewhere, it's worthwhile putting the TITLE of the article at the top, followed by the AUTHOR, and in this case, the Organisation (since Guy Rodgers is not a big name)

e.g.   

Sharks drowned last night, by Badger Pedactor of Haynes Research

Flashcards... by Guy Rodgers Of ACT for America

Of course, the article referenced "our chapters" so really that information should have been already mentioned. It would have been known to anybody that read the article in the intended way. Which involves knowing who wrote it, what organisation e.t.c.

You made it looks like you wrote it.  Then it gets a bit funny, when there is a reference to "our chapters", and then looking at the end, we see the reality.

People have made similar mistakes as you before, but never as badly as you just did.

Here is the way one place on the web listed it. ON HIS BLOG.

So he obviously had theintelligence to know that he had to make it clear at the top that it wasn't him that wrote it. And if it was from an organisation, then say which.

"
Flash Cards Designed to Teach English Translations of Arabic Have a Curious Way of Doing It

Received in an email from ACT for America.
"

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 06:20:22 AM by q_q_ »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »

One of our chapter leaders

not you of course

Right at the end, once one scrolls down, it says the guy that wrote the article, not you. And the organisation - not JTF.

If you are pasting an article from somewhere, it's worthwhile putting the TITLE of the article at the top, followed by the AUTHOR, and in this case, the Organisation (since Guy Rodgers is not a big name)

e.g.   

Sharks drowned last night, by Badger Pedactor of Haynes Research

Flashcards... by Guy Rodgers Of ACT for America

Of course, the article referenced "our chapters" so really that information should have been already mentioned. It would have been known to anybody that read the article in the intended way. Which involves knowing who wrote it, what organisation e.t.c.

You made it looks like you wrote it.  Then it gets a bit funny, when there is a reference to "our chapters", and then looking at the end, we see the reality.

People have made similar mistakes as you before, but never as badly as you just did.

Here is the way one place on the web listed it. ON HIS BLOG.

So he obviously had theintelligence to know that he had to make it clear at the top that it wasn't him that wrote it. And if it was from an organisation, then say which.

"
Flash Cards Designed to Teach English Translations of Arabic Have a Curious Way of Doing It

Received in an email from ACT for America.
"

q_q_,

Well Well Well! I am sorry if you were under the impression that I was posting this as my own, I included the author and his links.

Im sorry if I didnt post according to 'protocol' but I always give credit for who it is I repost.

I also, when I repost from sources like A7 {which I asked for permission to repost from} I always include the authors name and title at the very beginning.

Aside from this you have no opinion on this? Or am I to assume that since you have attempted to question the source that you discount this story altogether?

I must assume that you are an editor of some publication since you seem to be the one always correcting people. Am I correct about this? Ive never met anyone who is so picky about correcting people as you. I've been told I was picky about spelling before, but you really get the honor.

I think this story is just a sad example of how our culture has been, and continues to be infiltrated by our enemy. I heard a story the other day about a doll which says satanic and islamic things. And how the school books here in USA teach that Jesus was a Phalistinian. All these things are very sad and we need to wake up and protest against it.

I got this email from a mailing list my father is on. He is on the same page as we are and I think that this kind of information needs to see the light.

Id appreciate any further comments about this article instead of always making things personal.

Thank you,
muman613

PS: It was a simple matter for me to correct the problem.
 :soldier:
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
You're better off not making any assumptions, you get everything wrong anyway when you try that. You "should" know from experience by now.

The facts are the thing you should concentrate on, it's good that you corrected the problem.

You keep asking me for comments on these articles that are not really news. And you wonder why I don't.  But since you have for once dealt with the criticism I stated, I will answer your request.

As far as comment is concerned, I don't see anything worth me saying on it. It goes in the same bag as Mein Kampf on sale in a newsagent in an islammic area in britain..  Or other cases of extremist islammic literature or words or imams spreading around , whether it be at a Democratic convention, or western government, a library, book stores, schools or universities. So this is not really news to me and I don't care to comment on it, and any comment is obvious.
It's good to document these things but I don't think there's anything important worth saying on it that hasn't already been said.  If I had something witty to say, I might have said it. But don't request witty comments, that's just annoying.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:02:04 AM by q_q_ »