Author Topic: anyone has info on Rav Kahane  (Read 996 times)

Offline Yonathan Ben Yakov

• Full JTFer
anyone has info on Rav Kahane
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »
am writing an essay for class about him
it's better to have a Jewish State, which is hated by the whole world, than an Auschwitz loved by it.”

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: anyone has info on Rav Kahane
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »
That's difficult because much of the so-called mainstream sources are openly hostile to Rabbi Kahane (of blessed memory).  What I would do if I were you, is rely as much as possible on primary sources:  Essays and books that Rabbi Kahane wrote, debates he had, rallies he led, films of him, and so on.  Try to get a good idea of his proposals and challenge these ideas.  See if they match Torah as he claimed they did.  Try to imagine what would Israel look like today if his plans to emigrate the arabs had happened.  Ask what was so important about Rabbi Kahane that he became the very first target of al-qaeda.  What was it about him that they were so afraid of?  You can talk about his legacy, who is carrying on his principles.

I hope this helps.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
am writing an essay for class about him

well you are a kahanist so you should know him fairly well already.

he's a hero of yours right?

so why don't you tell your examiner about him.

come on!!!!!!!!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:16:32 PM »
when was he born.. what environment did he grow up in..

he mentioned on a radio show how when he was 10 he lived through the holocaust, in america. They knew what was going on and  jewish american organisations did nothing.

See his talks on this.. such as his talk, it's on youtube(or was anyway) , where he addresses jews in skokie. 

Look at his ideology, how jews should be strong, and why. Look at his tak to the noachide group (was on youtube, prob still is). Mentions ezekiel 36..

You know if you listened to these things you'd understand the man.

If you admire him alot you should be abe to tell yourself all about him naturally.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:35:20 PM »
lol, try his wife's book- im sure you can find some info. there.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Yonathan Ben Yakov

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
thanks guys, but i need to write a 5pg essay of his ideas for the Government of Israel, i wrote about 2 pages
it's better to have a Jewish State, which is hated by the whole world, than an Auschwitz loved by it.”

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
thanks guys, but i need to write a 5pg essay of his ideas for the Government of Israel, i wrote about 2 pages
I haven't heard of Rabbi Kahane (God Bless him) until I joined JTF. I am only 14. My Grandfather knows a lot about him and his son. I'll see if I could find some stuff.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:51:29 PM »
This is what I found on wikipedia:

Kahane argued that observance of Torah was the only reason to be Jewish. He saw secular Jews as hypocritical racists:

The biggest racist is the Jew who doesn't see that to be a Jew is something special... Of course, a person born a Jew is a Jew. There’s no doubt about that. But if he doesn’t respect the Torah, he’s not a good Jew. The only reason to be Jewish is the Torah. There’s no other logical reason to be Jewish.[4]
Kahane advocated a Jewish State founded on Halakha. He believed that

democracy and Judaism are two opposite things. One absolutely cannot confuse them. The objective of a democratic state is to allow a person to do exactly as he wishes. The objective of Judaism is to serve God and to make people better. These are two totally opposite conceptions of life.[5]
Kahane advocated basing Israeli law on Halakha, including laws such as banning the sale of pork, outlawing missionary activities in Israel, and a ban on all sexual relations between Jews and non-Jews.[6] Supporters say Kahane was protecting Torah values and the integrity of the Jewish nation, but his detractors consider Kahane's views bigoted. (See: Jewish view of marriage.)

Kahane also believed that a Jewish democracy with non-Jewish citizens was self-contradictory because the non-Jewish citizens might someday become a numerical majority and vote to make the state non-Jewish:

I ask a question that sends Israelis crazy, both on the Left and on the Right. The question is as follows: if the Arabs settle among us and make enough children to become a majority, will Israel continue to be a Jewish state? Do we have to accept that the Arab majority will decide?
... Western democracy has to be ruled out. For me that's cut and dried: there's no question of setting up democracy in Israel, because democracy means equal rights for all, irrespective of racial or religious origins.[7]
Kahane claimed that historically there are no examples of Arab Muslims living peacefully alongside other non-Arab ethnic groups. Thus Kahane proposed the forcible deportation of nearly all Arabs from all lands controlled by the Israeli government. When he served as a Member of the Knesset he proposed a $40,000 compensation plan for the Arabs he was to evict. But he made it clear that Arabs who refused compensation would be expelled by force:

I’d offer financial compensation for those who want to leave the country voluntarily. I would only use force for those who don’t want to leave. I’d go all the way, and they know that... I’m going to hold the bridges on the Jordan river; we’ll hold them for two weeks. We’ll evacuate the Arabs and let Jordan go to the United Nations.[8]
To deter Arab terrorism and to frighten the Arab population into leaving, he advocated Jewish pressure:

I want to scare them and I want to make them realize that, contrary to what they have believed for fifteen years, time is not on their side... And I approve of anybody who commits such acts of violence. Really, I don’t think that we can sit back and watch Arabs throwing rocks at buses whenever they feel like it. They must understand that a bomb thrown at a Jewish bus is going to mean a bomb thrown at an Arab bus.[9]
Kahane proposed a Jewish state within its Biblical borders:

Let me tell you what the minimal borders are, and which the rabbis agree upon, according to the description given in the Bible. The southern boundary goes up to El Arish, which takes in all of northern Sinai, including Yamit. To the east, the frontier runs along the western part of the East Bank of the Jordan river, hence part of what is now Jordan. Eretz Yisrael also includes part of the Lebanon and certain parts of Syria, and part of Iraq, all the way to the Tigris river.[10]
To the objection that this would mean perpetual war, he replied, "There will be a perpetual war. With or without Kahane."
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
Please watch Rabbi Kahane debate with Dershowitz and Rabbi Kahane speeches on Youtube. You'll have all the information you need.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
This is what I found on wikipedia:

Kahane argued that observance of Torah was the only reason to be Jewish. He saw secular Jews as hypocritical racists:

The biggest racist is the Jew who doesn't see that to be a Jew is something special... Of course, a person born a Jew is a Jew. There’s no doubt about that. But if he doesn’t respect the Torah, he’s not a good Jew. The only reason to be Jewish is the Torah. There’s no other logical reason to be Jewish.[4]
Kahane advocated a Jewish State founded on Halakha. He believed that

democracy and Judaism are two opposite things. One absolutely cannot confuse them. The objective of a democratic state is to allow a person to do exactly as he wishes. The objective of Judaism is to serve G-d and to make people better. These are two totally opposite conceptions of life.[5]
Kahane advocated basing Israeli law on Halakha, including laws such as banning the sale of pork, outlawing missionary activities in Israel, and a ban on all sexual relations between Jews and non-Jews.[6] Supporters say Kahane was protecting Torah values and the integrity of the Jewish nation, but his detractors consider Kahane's views bigoted. (See: Jewish view of marriage.)

Kahane also believed that a Jewish democracy with non-Jewish citizens was self-contradictory because the non-Jewish citizens might someday become a numerical majority and vote to make the state non-Jewish:

I ask a question that sends Israelis crazy, both on the Left and on the Right. The question is as follows: if the Arabs settle among us and make enough children to become a majority, will Israel continue to be a Jewish state? Do we have to accept that the Arab majority will decide?
... Western democracy has to be ruled out. For me that's cut and dried: there's no question of setting up democracy in Israel, because democracy means equal rights for all, irrespective of racial or religious origins.[7]
Kahane claimed that historically there are no examples of Arab Muslims living peacefully alongside other non-Arab ethnic groups. Thus Kahane proposed the forcible deportation of nearly all Arabs from all lands controlled by the Israeli government. When he served as a Member of the Knesset he proposed a $40,000 compensation plan for the Arabs he was to evict. But he made it clear that Arabs who refused compensation would be expelled by force:

I’d offer financial compensation for those who want to leave the country voluntarily. I would only use force for those who don’t want to leave. I’d go all the way, and they know that... I’m going to hold the bridges on the Jordan river; we’ll hold them for two weeks. We’ll evacuate the Arabs and let Jordan go to the United Nations.[8]
To deter Arab terrorism and to frighten the Arab population into leaving, he advocated Jewish pressure:

I want to scare them and I want to make them realize that, contrary to what they have believed for fifteen years, time is not on their side... And I approve of anybody who commits such acts of violence. Really, I don’t think that we can sit back and watch Arabs throwing rocks at buses whenever they feel like it. They must understand that a bomb thrown at a Jewish bus is going to mean a bomb thrown at an Arab bus.[9]
Kahane proposed a Jewish state within its Biblical borders:

Let me tell you what the minimal borders are, and which the rabbis agree upon, according to the description given in the Bible. The southern boundary goes up to El Arish, which takes in all of northern Sinai, including Yamit. To the east, the frontier runs along the western part of the East Bank of the Jordan river, hence part of what is now Jordan. Eretz Yisrael also includes part of the Lebanon and certain parts of Syria, and part of Iraq, all the way to the Tigris river.[10]
To the objection that this would mean perpetual war, he replied, "There will be a perpetual war. With or without Kahane."

Wikipedia is good for getting some background information and to get some sources.  But do not use wikipedia in your essays because for the most part, the contributors are not scholarly and not verifiable.  In my academic work, I go to wikipedia sometimes to get some quick references, but I would never use wikipedia for an essay.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:31:09 AM »
I could provide you with excerpts from Rabbanit Libby Kahane's book. It's hard to do this though on such short notice.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:26:09 AM by Mishmaat »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 05:47:28 AM »
I've read rebbetzin kahane's book. It's a biography

It only covers early life, like JDL. And details most of which are not important to who the man was.  It's more like   On this date he went here, he spoke about this.  It's largely based on FBI records of his movements.  There are one or two interesting anecdotes.
It's because rabbi kahane was a very very multi-faceted individual, and he understnnd that he has to raise a jewish home, with jewish children, and learning and so on, but wouldn't have as much time with them as he would like.   So, she was largely involved in this venture. She was a good jewish wife..  She is also a librarian
Since you need to write an essay, you could get that book. OR if you love rabbi kahane, then get that book. I did and await her vol 2. That was vol 1 it finished in the 80s or so.

Listen to rabbi kahane himself, some audio
http://www.toojewish.com/kahane/

and as mentioned
see on youtube and google video.

If you haven't done this already then you're on another planet. Maybe not used to google or something.  But there are many articles about rabbi kahane,

There are interviews too..
two that spring to mind, 2 big ones.  One called Israel's ayatollahs G-d's law in atlantic monthly.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020612060815/http://www.kahane.org/meir/interview.htm

another in playboy magazine. (apparently they do these big interviews!)
http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=5525.0