Author Topic: Answers for Ask Judea Torah Show 10  (Read 4351 times)

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
Answers for Ask Judea Torah Show 10
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »
First of all, I want to apologize for two things:

1) For the length of time it took to do this show(I'm sorry, I've been very busy. I leave home at 6 in the morning and come home at 11 at night.)

and

2) For the audio quality of this show. (Apparently my great microphone was lost during my move. I hope to find it soon.)

http://rapidshare.com/files/158031874/AskJudeaTorahShow10.mp3.html

I cannot wait to hear your new questions and look forward to answering them.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Answers for Ask Judea Torah Show 10
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
Audio quality didn't work out badly.. Fortunately the volume was alright.

You don't have to apologise for anything!!

If anything we should apologise to you for adding to your already tight schedule.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I believe the Rabbi you were thinking of was Rabbi Kalonymus Kalman Schapira, who was rebbe of the Warsaw ghetto.   Incidentally, I recently picked up his mussar sefer, Chovath haTalmidim a few weeks ago.    It was in our beit midrash.  The introduction includes a somewhat lengthy biography piece about the rabbi, but this is an Art scroll produced book.  There is mention made of his other work Aish Kodesh, and I immediately wanted to read it (we don't have it here).  But his feelings about the uprising are not mentioned.   I was wondering, is this mentioned in Aish Kodesh, or in some other work about the Warsaw ghetto that you would recommend?  I was curious where you learned that he approved of it.   

The mussar text is pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:11:00 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks for doing the program, the volume wasn't unbearable but hopefully you will find that better equipment.  Excellent work though, and I could manage to hear it in the headphones alright.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 06:08:48 PM »
Also this was from answers to Ask Judea Torah Show 9, in response to a question of mine that you answered in that program:

Judea, if one can say the haskevanu etc no problem and don't even really need to connect geula to tefillah at maariv, like you have answered in this week's program, what was that whole discussion about last week where you were saying that the Yerushalmi custom was to say the shema and hashskevaynu before going to sleep?   Did they do both, maariv and shema with minyan and then again at home before going to sleep?  And did they include hashkevaynu in the minyan tefillah?

Can you briefly clarify to help my confusion here or should I ask this as a question in the next show?  Thanks.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
Who was the rabbi you mentioned to Tzvi when you said he understood halacha and Torah minutae probably better than anyone on the planet, but you quoted as saying Jews should not be nationalist in any way?   I couldn't make out the name, so please spell it out here if possible.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:34:03 PM »
Who was the rabbi you mentioned to Tzvi when you said he understood halacha and Torah minutae probably better than anyone on the planet, but you quoted as saying Jews should not be nationalist in any way?   I couldn't make out the name, so please spell it out here if possible.

Rav Kanievsky
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »

Rav Kanievsky

I'm not sure that he said that it sounded like he said the 'gaon of... ' I couldn't make it out... but it wasn't when you were talking about Rav Kanievsky, I don't think.   It was someone else Judea brought up.   Maybe you're right, I'll have to recheck the audio tape.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »

Rav Kanievsky

I'm not sure that he said that it sounded like he said the 'gaon of... ' I couldn't make it out... but it wasn't when you were talking about Rav Kanievsky, I don't think.   It was someone else Judea brought up.   Maybe you're right, I'll have to recheck the audio tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogatchover_Gaon
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 05:27:46 AM »
this is why when people listen, if they are listenening to the whole thing, then they should make notes into notepad

richard: 0:0
angelo: 3:14
donatello: 6:03
donatello-2: 7:49
raphael: 9:45
leonardo: 13:43

e.t.c.

If somebody had dome that then you'd have been able to find it quicker.

I have done the whole thing in the past..

But I find that nobody else even bothers to contribute the time when their own question is asked.

How about I make a template, like this.. And if somebody does listen to it now, they can add the times

AJ10

qq-1(sarah q on prophecies):
qq-2(yaakov q on evolution):
qq-3(ashkenazi jewish history):
qq-4(shul serv):
qq-5(trust in sages):
K-BT-1(zohar):
K-BT-2(zohar)
K-BT-3(Rabbi Weissmandl)
K-BT-4(rising up to revolt):
Tzvi(Biryonim - those that faught against romans[1]):
Tzvi:(fast of Gedalya)
Tzvi:(what does judea know about the town of Yitzhar's jewish demographics)
Tzvi:(yeshivot)
Tzvi:(sukkah walls)
Zelhar(who are Am Haaretz!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Zelhar(menashe and amon)
Zelhar(supernatural)
Tzvi(who is Rav Kanievsky)
Tzvi(speaking english)

[1]  - tzvibenroshel should have said this in his question, they are people that faught against the romans. But by luck he spelt it right so it could be googled. And judea explained it in his answer

NOW.

PEOPLE CAN POST IN THIS THREAD, TIMES FOR ANY OF THOSE, AND I CAN AMEND THIS POST AND ADD THE TIMES.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:40:40 PM by q_q_ »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:44:49 PM »
qq, I use musicmatch jukebox and the timing is off, so it would not help anyone for me to make up a list with the wrong times. 

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »
qq, I use musicmatch jukebox and the timing is off, so it would not help anyone for me to make up a list with the wrong times. 

what are you using that for?

BTW, the timing from that would still be fine.. If it was off by 5 seconds for some reason, then every time would be 5 seconds ahead or before. It's a constant.  So it would be fine.   Now, if your recording had judea talking  slower or faster, then the maths would be less quick and it might not be worth it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 04:40:01 PM by q_q_ »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 07:13:26 PM »
Not sure why but I really like the program.  And I generally don't like change.   

In terms of the time inaccuracy, I'm not sure what it is, but when I jump from place to place in the audio file, sometimes the same track numbers will bring up different audio bits (ie the tape - minute/sec count - is further along or farther back even if I place the cursor to the same location/track number count).     It might still be useful if I jot down times though...