General Category > General Discussion

Why do so many Catholics hate Jews?

<< < (2/5) > >>

davkakach:
genteelgentile,

Good for you.  I don't think you missed much...

habiru:
Let's be honest here:

The Roman Catholic Church's official position for years was extremely hostile toward israel and Jews in general. But all of that changed for the better under the previous Pope.

While there is a small vocal anti -semitic element within contemporary American Catholicism (see the Gibsons, Buchanan etc,) I don't think the majority of American Catholics are anti-semitic at all.

genteelgentile:
That is true about Pope John Paul the Second.  He was a good man.  But the Catholic Church has too many extra-biblical rules and rituals.  That is a big reason why I don't even bother to go to church.  At least the Catholic Church is strongly pro-life.  I can support it that far.

jewishron:

--- Quote from: NeverMore on September 07, 2006, 06:49:33 PM ---
--- Quote ---What do Catholic schools teach children specifically about Jews and
Judaism?  What do Catholic parents tell their children about Jews?

--- End quote ---

its very simple actually- they teach that we, the vicious savage Jews caused jesus to get crucified. their hero, their massiah, got killed because the romans got the tip from judah. his name symbolizes that all jews are "bad", and bear the sin of causing Jesus to die.
this started the "cheating Jew" myth, that Jews can't be trusted and other dark ages myths, which led to this hatred towards Jews. that besides the explanation you gave about failing to believe in jesus being a massiah.

--- End quote ---

This actually was changed in Vatican 2. Where the official postion of the church was to acknowledge that the Jews DID NOT kill christ and that the Romans did. However this old school mentality of the Jews being responsible for their mesiahs death led to many anti-semitic feelings and is still used as an excuse for hating jews today; albeit by ignorant people, but none the less it does exist.

kahaneloyalist:
and also Traditional Catholics and sect in Catholocism that refuses to accept Vatican II. While they are a minority they are growing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version