Author Topic: I just bought this baby....  (Read 9454 times)

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
Re: I just bought this baby....
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »
If I may offer an opinion, it's my experience that a scope of any kind is a poor idea for a self-defense shotgun.  A scope is great if you plan to go deer hunting, etc, but not for self-defense.  There's a natural tendency to want full target acquisition when a gun is scoped.  When in tight quarters, you don't want to lose even an instant trying to acquire the target;  you need to be able to point & shoot.  Let the pattern do the acquisition for you.

That's my suggestion.  Enjoy your new toy.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
If I may offer an opinion, it's my experience that a scope of any kind is a poor idea for a self-defense shotgun.  A scope is great if you plan to go deer hunting, etc, but not for self-defense.  There's a natural tendency to want full target acquisition when a gun is scoped.  When in tight quarters, you don't want to lose even an instant trying to acquire the target;  you need to be able to point & shoot.  Let the pattern do the acquisition for you.

Well, my grandparents survived the depression on eating bear, that they shot....

I will only use the scope for those sorts of things.....

That was what I was thinking, anyway....
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »

Well, my grandparents survived the depression on eating bear, that they shot....

I will only use the scope for those sorts of things.....

That was what I was thinking, anyway....

I wouldn't use a scope on a shotgun as it's not a precision type weapon, if you shoot a shotgun you will see that it is not about accuracy but moreso as a close range weapon. If you were using a bolt action rifle with centerfire cartridge, I would suggest a scope.