Author Topic: Spectator's response to my q on ask judea about sources of laws  (Read 2024 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Spectator's response to my q on ask judea about sources of laws
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:57:44 AM »
I copied it here to ensure that judea's show is a list of questions..it makes it easier for when he does the show.

spectator, it is a great answer..

------------my question-------------
in the written torah there is an apparent contradiction about how many days to eat matza.

it is explained in the oral.

So therefore, I can only suppose that the oral is the source for all the commandments.. and the written just hints or states some explicitly. Is that right?

If that's so.. Then all of the 613 commandments have a source in the oral.
What is the source for Be Fruitful and multiply?

And why have rabbis produced lists of the 613 commandments referencing places in tenach as "sources".. And not referenced places in the talmud as sources!!!!! Just a list of all 613 commandments with talmudic sources. Does one exist?

--------------------------------------------------

spectator's answer

Shalom q_q_

Be Fruitful and Multiply is discussed in Talmud in Tractate Yebamoth, page 61a
http://www.come-and-hear.com/yebamoth/yebamoth_61.html

Regarding your question about 613 commandments with talmudic sources.

If you are doing some research on Jewish Law, you can check this article about Sefer HaHinuch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sefer_ha-Chinuch, and also its external links. Better still, find the original book.

But if your question is about practical aspects of fulfilling Jewish Law, you cannot learn the commandments directly from Talmud.

After Talmud, there were Geonim works(circa 6-9 centuries), Rosh, Rif, Rambam (circa 10-12 centuries), Shulhan Aruch, etc.
All these were clarifying the Jewish law, evrey generation based on the works of its predecessors.

That means that if want to learn about how to fulfill a specific commandment from Talmud, you'll have to repeat all these centuries-long work by yourself.
It is worse than to learn all the physics of electricity in order to switch on the light

Not all 613 commandments can be fulfilled today. On the other hand, there are numerous commandments issued by rabbis that are also compulsory to fulfill.

The first more or less applicable to direct study code is Kitzur Shulhan Aruch. But it was written in 19 century, and many aspects of present-day life are not discussed in it.

Many books are written on the fullfillment of commandments in present-day life. In general, they deal with a specific area (like Shabbat, Holidays, Kashrut, etc.)

You can check this site:
http://www.aish.com/pathways/jewishlaw/dailyliving/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Spectator's response to my q on ask judea about sources of laws
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
I have been posting the list of Mitzvahs according to Chofetz Chaim who provides sources from Torah for each of the mitzvahs. The list is broken down into positive and negative mitzvahs which are universal and which can only be done in Eretz Yisroel.

Another great sefer which lists the mitzvahs and provides a lot of background information for each mitzvah is "Treasure from Sinai".

http://www.targum.com/product.php/244/treasure-from-sinai

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
No muman.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:26:26 PM »
No muman.

No what? This is not a question. I stated that these two books are good sources for learning the Torah sources of the Mitzvot.

What are you denying?

http://www.feldheim.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=1-58330-381-2&type=store&category=search
All the commandments applicable in our time, including those contingent upon the Land of Israel, with invaluable commentary and explanation. Hebrew text with facing English translation.

PS: I suppose you are looking for Talmudic versus Chumash sources. In that case you are correct.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:39:58 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14