Author Topic: Share a recipe! My contribution: Waldorf Salad (as made by my Grandmother)  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
I remember Chaim talking about a simple and delicious salmon recipe... and thought it would be nice, as a way of introducing something personal to JTF by sharing our favorite recipes!
Chaim, as you have said you love fruit and vegetables, I invite you to please try this recipe!

xoce's Grandmother's Waldorf Salad

(as best as I can remember, and with a few twists of my own)

INGREDIENTS
Apples (green apples, honey crisp apples, yellow apples, red apples)
   unpeeled, cubed.
Celery chopped
Grapes (green... red is also ok)
    halved (seedless or seeds removed)
Walnuts

DRESSING, which will coat entire salad prior to serving:
mayonnaise
lemon juice

Optional: yogurt, sugar, a little vinegar, a dash of paprika, salt

HINTS: 
Sprinkle apples with lemon juice after they are cut.
Garnish with celery leaves.
All portions are to your own liking.

There are many versions of waldorf salad... this is just my family's. 

I particularly enjoy Waldorf salad when eaten with turkey on the side.
 :-*

my Grandmother's would look like this, minus the lettuce, minus the square plate (instead served in a deep blue glass bowl), and minus the random "fancy sauce" drops.

TIDBIT: 
Created at New York's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1896 not by a chef but by the maître d'hôtel, (dining room manager) Oscar Tschirky, the Waldorf salad was an instant success.

The original version of this salad contained only apples, celery and mayonnaise. Chopped walnuts later became an integral part of the dish. Waldorf salad is usually served on top of a bed of lettuce.

http://www.kitchenproject.com/history/Waldorf_Salad.htm#classic
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:47:35 AM by xoce »
aka Someone Else

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Yes it looks good.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Thank you Pheasant!  Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?  Was it you who showed a picture of a steak you cooked?
aka Someone Else

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Thank you Pheasant!  Do you have a recipe you'd like to share?  Was it you who showed a picture of a steak you cooked?

Yes I did. But the recipe was not so complicated.

I think the two most important things if you roast a steak is the temperature and the spices.

If I make a steak in the ofen, the form, where you lay the meat in, must be pre-heated too. In the beginning of the roasting process the temperature should be for a few minutes very high.

Otherwise you can get the problem that all the juice runs out of the meat. But if the form and the ofen are very hot, the meat is sealed in the beginning.

Then you should turn down the ofen to a normal level and in the end you should open the oven and take the form outside. Now I wait ca. five minutes before I eat it.

Imo the greatest danger is that the juice is flowing out and the steak becomes a shoe sole.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Thank you for the advice, Pheasant!

the steak becomes a shoe sole
    :::D :'( this would be a very big problem for me!
aka Someone Else