Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

Rabbits

(1/2) > >>

admin:

When I went to the pet store in a mall when I was little, I told my mom that rabbits look like cats. That one looks like one of the cats I had. I'll post a picture of a similar cat soon.

Fruit of thy loins:
:)

I heard about someone who kept a rabbit and a cat in the house.  They were reared up as young bunny/kitten together.  I would have thought that the cat would try and eat the rabbit.  But apparently it's not always that way in the animal world.  :)

Fruit of thy loins:
Red squirrels are very beautiful.  But they get killed off by grey squirrels.  Why does Israel have so many cats?  Are they imported from somewhere?  I know that Egypt used to have many cats in ancient days.  Are cats native to Europe or were they introduced from the Middle East? ???

Fruit of thy loins:

YM,

Does Israel have good laws preventing animal cruelty?  One thing going for Britain is that it has well-enforced anti-cruelty laws.  Some even say we treat our pets better than our children.

Fruit of thy loins:

--- Quote from: Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim on March 18, 2007, 03:05:18 AM ---No. Some people in Israel think of cats as rodents. Some municipalities put out cat poison to slowly kill them over 12 hours with the help of "humane societies" such as the Israeli SPCA. They claim it is the humane way to do it. Most Israelis hate cats.

There is The Cat Welfare Society of Israel but they support sterilizing cats. Cutting the testicles off male cats is even against The Noahide Laws. I think sterilizing female cats is wrong for Jews but not for Gentiles.

I think the cats should be permitted to multiply in their natural environment. But I think they can also be taken as pets and I like how The Cat Welfare Society of Israel has a cat sanctuary, sort of like a zoo for cats. I went to their old headquarters to see it but they said they moved the sanctuary. So all I got to see was a veterinarians office so I took their magnet and brought it back to The United States and gave it to my mom for her refrigerator.

--- End quote ---

There aren't many street cats in Britain which is maybe one reason why people have a slightly higher view of them.  It's true that unneutered tomcats can be unpleasant.  Sterilization is routine among pets in Britain by the way.  Although some people are opposed to it, most people would never have pets unless they had them neutered.  Then there's all the cat shows and specialized breeders and fanciers.  The Anglo-Euro view of animals is slightly warped, but I know that e.g. in Greece there are lots of street cats too and people are less fond of them.  Generally speaking the more control people have over their animals the more they like them.  Plus the fact that pets are a kind of child-substitute.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version