Author Topic: Monkey cartoon mocking Obama sparks protest by Democrats in US  (Read 3313 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Monkey cartoon mocking Obama sparks protest by Democrats in US
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:47:01 AM »

A political cartoon depicting a chimpanzee as the drafter of the American financial stimulus bill has sparked a racial row in the United States, with Democratic leaders up in arms against the New York Post, for what they believe is an offensive reference to President Barack Obama [Images].

The cartoon, published by the right-wing Post, shows a police officer telling his colleague who has just shot a chimpanzee that 'they'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill'.

The leaders, including New York Governor David A Peterson, apparently believe that the cartoon compares Obama with the chimpanzee and thus evokes memories of America's racist past.

The inspiration for the cartoon obviously came from an incident in Connecticut on Tuesday where a police officer shot dead a 200-pound chimpanzee after it attacked and seriously injured the owner's friend and then tried to attack the officers after they had taken shelter in their cars.

The cartoon was drawn by Sean Delonas.

What added fuel to fire was that on the reverse side of the cartoon, a photograph of Obama signing the stimulus bill into law was published.

The Democratic leaders demanded an explanation from the paper, claiming several people were outraged by the cartoon.

Reports quoted journalists at the paper as saying that telephone callers protesting the cartoon had jammed its lines. The Post, however, stood behind the cartoon.

Editor-in-Chief of New York Post Col Allan said: "The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event -- the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy."

"It would be very important for the Post to explain what the cartoon was intended to portray," New York Governor Peterson said.

"Obviously those types of associations are made. They do feed a kind of negative and stereotypical way that the people think. But I think it is enough that people are raising the issue," he said.

Civil rights activist and black leader Al Sharpton said the cartoon was troubling at best given the history of racist attacks portraying African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys.

"One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual reference to this," he said.

Some activist groups are planning to protest outside the Post's offices.

Democrat Senator Gillibrand from New York said he found the Post cartoon offensive and purposefully hurtful. He said this type of cartoon serves no productive role in the public discourse.

City Councilman Leroy G Comrie Jr, a Queens Democrat, called for a boycott of the newspaper. "To run such a violent, racist cartoon is an insult to all New Yorkers," he said in a statement.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/feb/19monkey-cartoon-mocking-obama-sparks-racial-row.htm

:::D

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Monkey cartoon mocking Obama sparks protest by Democracts in US
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:49:02 AM »
Kind of racist and funny at the same time.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Re: Monkey cartoon mocking Obama sparks protest by Democrats in US
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:51:24 AM »
i was expecting protests by PETA  ;D

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:56 AM »
A JTF MEMBER NEEDS TO MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT THIS CARTOON

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »
It was not racist.
They're just looking for something to be offended at.

The problem is, they associate themselves with monkies.

The chimp used here is from the situation last week where a chimp went ape and attacked his owner and later shot dead himself.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:20:53 AM by angryChineseKahanist »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »
angryChinese,
I have got to agree with you on your statement that, they are just looking for something to be offended by.  And they, themselves, are identifying themselves with the chimpanzee.
As I stated on the other thread about Eric Holder's comments about racism; they are too free in calling others racists when it is convenient for them or serves their purpose.
It is really getting redundant and I am sick and tired of hearing any more of this nonsense. 
It is going to be a long four years.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
It is racist to compare blacks to chimpanzees, but who gives a [censored]. It's a free country and last time I checked it wasn't a crime to say racist things or publish racist materials.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »
Most black leaders think putting cream in your coffee is racist.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
I find this racist,, I like real chimps and would never insult them.  To compare one to Obama, a real chimp is smarter.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
It is racist to compare blacks to chimpanzees, but who gives a drek. It's a free country and last time I checked it wasn't a crime to say racist things or publish racist materials.

Actually, Pelosi wrote the "Stimulus" bill so this cartoon is calling Pelosi a Chimp. If the blacks take it as racist, it's on them, they're projecting.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Obama is as dumb as a chimp...so I think it portrays truth.

As far as Obama looking like a chimpanzee...well, I personally feel that Al Sharpton looks like a Gorilla, but an ugly version of one. 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
I just don't understand why blacks always feel anything like this to do with monkeys and apes involves them. Now what in the world would give them that idea. ;D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years