Author Topic: Judaism and pets  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Judaism and pets
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:33:16 AM »
All,

It's been with a certain amount of surprise that I (like, I'm sure, many of you) have learned of Chaim's convictions regarding pet ownership. The issue does not directly apply to me as a Gentile Christian (although we do have many cats), but I am curious as to the verses in Scripture Chaim uses for his belief. Does anyone know?

I have never been aware of any Torahic or Biblical verse forbidding companion animals to the Chosen, and one of my very best online friends is a proud, highly religious Jew and enormous animal lover. Is this found in the Talmud or where?

Regards,
Chaimfan

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
Re: Judaism and pets
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:20:38 AM »
All,

It's been with a certain amount of surprise that I (like, I'm sure, many of you) have learned of Chaim's convictions regarding pet ownership. The issue does not directly apply to me as a Gentile Christian (although we do have many cats), but I am curious as to the verses in Scripture Chaim uses for his belief. Does anyone know?

I have never been aware of any Torahic or Biblical verse forbidding companion animals to the Chosen, and one of my very best online friends is a proud, highly religious Jew and enormous animal lover. Is this found in the Talmud or where?

Regards,
Chaimfan

There is no Biblical verse related to owning pets but there is no example of Patriarchs Abraham, Issac, Jacob, prominent Tanak prophets, Kings of Judah and Israel or Job owning a pet animal either.

Even some Christians do not like to own pets because the Bible says love your Lord G-d with ALL your heart, ALL your mind, ALL your strength...  Pets could become a hindrance to our personal time with G-d, Bible reading, meditation and praying.  A pet owner can easily idolize his pet(s) and become obsessed with them.  It is a lot of work too if someone owns a pet.

I personally do not want to own a pet but I would not say owning a pet is wrong either.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:28:05 AM by Christian Zionist »
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »
A pet owner can easily idolize his pet(s) and become obsessed with them.  It is a lot of work too if someone owns a pet.

I agree.  My sister has a brown Labrador.  She loves that dog as if she had birthed him herself.  Whenever I go to visit her she says to the dog, "Look, Aunt Lisa's here!"  The dog has arthritis in his hips, so she gets him his own personal walker who takes him out a few times a day.  Also, she's adamantly against putting the dog in a kennel if she happens to be away for a while. 

When she got her Masters degree and my mother got her a gift which she didn't like, she asked instead if the dog could swim a few laps in my parents pool.  They said yes. 

Allen-T

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 03:13:26 PM »
A pet owner can easily idolize his pet(s) and become obsessed with them.  It is a lot of work too if someone owns a pet.

I agree.  My sister has a brown Labrador.  She loves that dog as if she had birthed him herself.  Whenever I go to visit her she says to the dog, "Look, Aunt Lisa's here!"  The dog has arthritis in his hips, so she gets him his own personal walker who takes him out a few times a day.  Also, she's adamantly against putting the dog in a kennel if she happens to be away for a while. 

When she got her Masters degree and my mother got her a gift which she didn't like, she asked instead if the dog could swim a few laps in my parents pool.  They said yes. 

The real "SamanthaTheCat" has 6 beds last time I counted!! Animal lovers?????? ??? ??? ???

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »
I heard somewhere that G-D loves dogs because they did'nt bark when the Jews left Mizraim [Egypt] anyway heres my buddy ALF

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03