Author Topic: Pictures of American Cities at a time when America was Great  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Angry Panther

• Senior JTFer
Re: Pictures of American Cities at a time when America was Great
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
Great pics of the RKO Keith! I love pictures of old movie theaters, especially marquees and balconies.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
Wow,

I lived in Flushing, NY for two years when I was a child while my father worked for the 1964-1965 Worlds Fair in Flushing. I was born in 65... Ah the memories...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »
Cleveland:

River on fire in '49

and again in '51

and again in '52

'69

All together there have been at least 10 times the river caught fire (if not more) over the past century or so...which leads us to this
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
The good old times.

G-d bless America! I love America so much. I have a big American flag above my bed. A lot of my friends love America too. I love the people, the landscape, the streets, the houses, I love the American way of Life!
I know not everything is good in America.

:usa: G-d bless the holy America!  :usa:

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:  :dance:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:49:02 PM by German Kahanist »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
More photos of my boro way before I was born but it looked so nice back then.  Sad isn't it what it is now in many areas.

Flushing Meadow Park 1939

Some from Downtown Flushing

Is the first picture the location of the Worlds Fair?  

What a great thread. Thanks for posting the pictures of the old RKO movie house MasterWolf. I use to go there all the time. I have searched for pictures of the interior for for years and could never find any. The fountain in the lobby was taken out years before the RKO was closed. People would toss coins in it. About three or four years before they closed it they split the theater in half making the balcony one theater and the downstairs into another trying to bring in more viewers. Originally the theater was made to look like a old European courtyard and the ceiling actually looked like a night sky. It was really something to see. It was so sad to see it mauled in stages as it was and even now when I see the empty building I still feel sad. The buildings shown in the Worlds Fair pictures are from the 39 Fair they were called the Trylon and the Perisphere they were the centerpiece of the fair. I believe they sit in the same spot that the Unisphere from the 65 fair sits on today. The 65 fair was great my pop says the 39 one was even better. I was a kid but I still remember it like it was yesterday. The Fair grounds today still have one or two buildings left from each of the Fairs.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years