Author Topic: PA Plans Sovereignty Strut for Arab 'Jerusalem Day  (Read 918 times)

Offline Israeli Mouse

• Full JTFer
PA Plans Sovereignty Strut for Arab 'Jerusalem Day
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:42:39 AM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/130525#replies

PA Plans Sovereignty Strut for Arab 'Jerusalem Day'
[/u][/b]

by Maayana Miskin

(IsraelNN.com) The Palestinian Authority has created an Arab version of the annual Israeli celebration of Jerusalem Day. According to the PA-based Maan news agency, the PA plans to use the day to display its symbols in the capital city.

The PA has labeled its day of celebrations in honor of Jerusalem, “Al Kuds – The Capital of Arab Culture of 2009.” Celebrations will be held on Saturday, beginning at 5 p.m.

Israel's Jerusalem Day is held annually during the Hebrew month of Iyar, in honor of the date that the city was reunited in 1967 after 19 years under partial Jordanian occupation.

The PA's celebrations will include attempts to display sovereignty in the capital city. The most showy of these attempts, according to Maan, will be the flight of a glider plane bearing the colors of the PA flag over the Old City.

Celebrations will also include television programming featuring claims of an Arab right to much of Jerusalem and complaints regarding the security barrier being built between several Arab neighborhoods and the rest of the city.

Several other Arab cities will mark the day as well, among them Bethlehem, Ramallah, the Lebanese city of Mar Elias, and the Israeli-Arab city of Nazareth.

Following the Maan report regarding the PA's plans, the Land of Israel Legal Forum urged police to prevent Arab activists from flying the PA's colors over Jerusalem. The PA is legally obligated to respect Israel's sovereignty within the bounds of the State of Israel, said forum head Nachi Eyal.
"Let us not suffer from a national amnesia that causes us to forget who and what we are."

-  Rav Kahane zt''l

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: PA Plans Sovereignty Strut for Arab 'Jerusalem Day
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:58:44 AM »
I believe there was a thread about this topic earlier.

And in that thread, it was noted that the Israeli authorities took action and quelled most of the PA activities in Jerusalem.

I stated earlier that I am happy that the Israeli authorities took some action and did not roll over for the Arabs.

Because when no action is taken against the Arabs, they perceive that as a sign of weakness and surrender.  They, inturn, become more violent and blatant in their actions.

Offline Israeli Mouse

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:00:38 AM »
I believe there was a thread about this topic earlier.

And in that thread, it was noted that the Israeli authorities took action and quelled most of the PA activities in Jerusalem.

I stated earlier that I am happy that the Israeli authorities took some action and did not roll over for the Arabs.

Because when no action is taken against the Arabs, they perceive that as a sign of weakness and surrender.  They, inturn, become more violent and blatant in their actions.

Idk, i havent gotten a chance to see what is new.  THis was in my mail from arutz sheva which is why i read it.
"Let us not suffer from a national amnesia that causes us to forget who and what we are."

-  Rav Kahane zt''l

Offline Israeli Mouse

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:20:57 PM »
Police Block ‘Arab Jerusalem Day’ Events

by Gil Ronen

(IsraelNN.com) Police prevented Arabs from holding events in eastern Jerusalem on Saturday as part of an alternative Arab ‘Jerusalem Day’ festival. The Palestinian Authority sponsored the festival in which Jerusalem was touted as “the capital of Arab culture for 2009.”

The police closed down eight events in eastern Jerusalem and arrested 20 people who organized and participated in them. Police also prevented students from entering an ‘Al Quds University’ facility located near the Cotton Traders’ Gate and arrested university employees who were about to distribute T-shirts marking the festival.

Under orders from outgoing Public Security Minister Avi Dichter, police blocked hundreds of Arabs who attempted to carry out processions at Ras El-Amoud, Wadi Joz and Sheikh Jerah in eastern Jerusalem. Seven organizers were arrested.

On Shechem Road, police stopped Arabs from participating in a football game and at the Al-Hiala club, a PA-sponsored girls’ meeting was dispersed. A group of Arab school students tried to ascend to the Temple Mount with PLO flags but were blocked by police. Another event at Haroun El-Rashid Street was also stymied.

In Nazareth as well, a planned event was ordered cancelled by police.

According to a decree signed by Minister Dichter, the holding of any ceremonies by the PA inside Israel contradicts the interim accord between the PA and Israel.

The culture of hummous
The Bethlehem-based Ma’an news agency reported that “1,500 dignitaries, delegates, poets, officials and Palestinian bureaucrats” gathered in El-Khader, south of Bethlehem, for an event honoring the PA-sponsored day. It criticized the event as being for the “cultured only” and catering to “Arab, Palestinian and International elite”

“Flat, single lens satellite casts from Lebanon and Gaza highlighted the distance between the scattered Palestinian populations rather than bringing a feeling of unity in tradition to the show,” the agency report claimed.

A speech by PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas was followed by “a video montage of hummus making, bustling markets, hookah pipes in the hands of wizened men on Old City streets and children playing beneath ancient arches” as well as IDF soldiers, it said.

-  Rav Kahane zt''l