Author Topic: Obama reaches out to Muslim world  (Read 785 times)

Offline Dr. Yisrael

• Full JTFer
  • we are all the same
Obama reaches out to Muslim world
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:05:09 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7984762.stm

Mr Obama called for a greater bond between Americans and Muslims

Barack Obama has declared that the US "is not at war with Islam", in a major speech during his first visit as president to a mainly Muslim country.

Addressing the Turkish parliament, Mr Obama called for a greater partnership with the Muslim world and said the US would soon launch outreach programmes.

"America's relationship with the Muslim world cannot and will not be based on opposition to al-Qaeda," he said.

Mr Obama also said Washington supported Turkey's efforts to join the EU.

Earlier, at a news conference with his Turkish counterpart, Abdullah Gul, he urged Turkey to help bridge the gap between the Muslim and Western worlds.

OBAMA SPEECH

Barack Obama's adress to Turkish Parliament [85.9 KB]
Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader
Download the reader here

He said his visit was a "statement about the importance of Turkey, not just to the United States, but to the world".

The US president began his visit to Turkey on Monday morning by laying a wreath at the tomb of the founder of modern Turkish state, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, whose "vision and courage" he praised.

He then travelled to the presidential palace in Ankara for talks with President Abdullah Gul, before giving an address to the Turkish Grand National Assembly.

Mr Obama devoted much of his speech to calling for a greater bond between Americans and Muslims, admitting that "the trust that binds us has been strained".

"Let me say this as clearly as I can: the United States is not and will never be at war with Islam," he stated.

Barack Obama is greeted by Recep Tayyip Erdogan in the Turkish parliament (6 April 2009)
Mr Obama's remarks were welcomed by Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan

"In fact, our partnership with the Muslim world is critical in rolling back a fringe ideology that people of all faiths reject."

He said: "The United States has been enriched by Muslim Americans. Many other Americans have Muslims in their family, or have lived in a Muslim-majority country - I know, because I am one of them."

"And when people look back on this time, let it be said of America that we extended the hand of friendship," he said.

"There is an old Turkish proverb: 'You cannot put out fire with flames.'"

BBC North America editor Justin Webb in Ankara says there are some back in the US who wonder if Mr Obama is going too far, but his intention seems clear.

He is on a mission to charm with the hope that in years to come, there is a tangible benefit for America and the world, our correspondent says.

'Crucial ally'

In his speech, Mr Obama said the US considered Turkey a "critical ally", despite the deterioration of their relations over the war in Iraq.

He said that while they had not always agreed on everything, the two states were stronger when they worked together.

Obama is a seducer, in the nicest possible way of course. He smiles and refers to himself as Hussein and does all the other things that make Europeans swoon. Then he has his way. Or does he...?
Justin Webb
BBC North America editor

Webb's America: Seducer-in-chief
Mark Mardell: Ideal backdrop

"That is why we must listen to one another, and seek common ground," he said.

The president also reiterated that the US government strongly supported Turkey's bid to become a member of the European Union.

"Europe gains by diversity of ethnicity, tradition and faith - it is not diminished by it," he said to a round of applause from the audience. "And Turkish membership would broaden and strengthen Europe's foundation once more."

The EU agreed to open accession talks with Ankara in 2004, but in recent years Turkey has made little progress with democratic reforms which would improve its chances of membership, correspondents say.

Later in his address, Mr Obama said the US strongly supported the full normalisation of relations between Turkey and Armenia.

At his earlier news conference with President Gul, he had stood by his 2008 assertion that the killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks in 1915 constituted "genocide" - without repeating the word.

Anti-US protesters in Istanbul (6 April 2009)
Several groups have been demonstrating against the visit

The issue remains highly sensitive between the governments of Armenia and Turkey, which denies those killed were victims of systematic genocide, and has prevented normal relations between them for many years.

During his election campaign, Mr Obama said the "Armenian genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence".

After his speech, Mr Obama was due to meet Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The US leader will then leave Ankara for Istanbul, where he will attend the Alliance of Civilizations forum.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: Obama reaches out to Muslim world
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
I'd like to reach out to our inept President and give him a piece of my mind.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
I hope the Muslims shake his hand.

Especially because the devout ones don't use toilet paper and therefore wipe themselves with their hands.

Taste the Fruit of Islam, Barack!!!!!!
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:17:20 PM »
THis says it all:

"We will convey our deep appreciation for the Islamic faith, which has done so much over so many centuries to shape the world for the better, including my own country," Obama said ...

What the hell is he talking about?

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
THis says it all:

"We will convey our deep appreciation for the Islamic faith, which has done so much over so many centuries to shape the world for the better, including my own country," Obama said ...

The long legged mack daddy is a quranimal! Chaim was right again!
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Benjamin_D

• Junior JTFer
  • Hatikva
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:22:45 PM »
THis says it all:

Um.... Mohammed Ali?

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
THis says it all:

Um.... Mohammed Ali?

When he's talking about "His country" he's referring to Kenya, or optionally Indonesia.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:23:54 PM by Zionist Revolutionary »

Offline Benjamin_D

• Junior JTFer
  • Hatikva
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:48 PM »
Oh, now finally something Obama says makes sense!

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
Because he himself is a muslim!
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.