Poll

If you found money on the sidewalk outside what would you do with it?

I'd keep it
7 (33.3%)
I'd keep it because if I don't take it someone else will
5 (23.8%)
I wouldn't do anything
3 (14.3%)
I'd give it to the police
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Please answer this poll  (Read 2536 times)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Re: Please answer this poll
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »
If there is cash on the street, you are permitted under Torah Biblical law to take it as long as the owner is not around to claim it and you have no way of knowing who the owner is.

If the owner has lost the money and has given up all realistic hope of recovering it, you are permitted to keep it. Because the money no longer has an owner.

Of course, if you find a wallet with someone's name and address, you are required to return it to the original owner.

What if the wallet belonged to a muslim?

Muslims are all criminals in Europe, in Hungary we don't have much, but who are muslims they are gangsters. So I would keep it then.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 09:04:41 AM »
It depends....if there is no identification and simply cash.

If it is a single bill up to $100, I probably would take it, give 10% to charity and keep the rest.  WHy do I say a single bill especially in the middle of a busy street? Because most likely, the person will not notice it if it falls out of us pocket or something...maybe I'm wrong with this assumption..IT's possible if it were a large bill I would wait around, but futilly.

If it is a whole wad of dough...and it is on a sidewalk, I would pick it up, hold on to it on that spot and hope that someone will come by frantically retracing his steps. If i'm in a cab, I would call the cab company in hope they trace the person...

If nobody claims it after a week or so, I would do the same, 10% to charity, the rest kept. I definately wouldn't leave it around on teh sidewalk for the simple reason that we live in an evil society and most people will just take it and not at least try to do the right thing.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:21:14 AM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »
Oh great !!!!

You found my money!!!

Where did I lose it at?

How much was it and when can I expect it returned?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
If there is cash on the street, you are permitted under Torah Biblical law to take it as long as the owner is not around to claim it and you have no way of knowing who the owner is.

If the owner has lost the money and has given up all realistic hope of recovering it, you are permitted to keep it. Because the money no longer has an owner.

Of course, if you find a wallet with someone's name and address, you are required to return it to the original owner.

What if the wallet belonged to a muslim?

That's right...what if it belonged to someone you knew funded Hamas or something like that?  Do you burn the wallet and give the cash to JTF?  It seems the right thing to do, but once again, I don't know the Jewish response to this...what is it?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »

Sounds very logical.