Author Topic: UN: NKorea could restart nuke facilities in months  (Read 600 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
UN: NKorea could restart nuke facilities in months
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea could restart its nuclear facilities within months, the chief of the U.N. nuclear watchdog warned Monday, but added he was optimistic that negotiations on halting Pyongyang's atomic ambitions could be revived.

North Korea kicked out all international monitors of its nuclear facilities last week after vowing to quit six-nation disarmament talks and restart its atomic program in anger over the U.N. Security Council's criticism of its April 5 rocket launch.

Pyongyang says the U.N. rebuke is unfair because the liftoff was a satellite launch under its peaceful space program. But the U.S. and others say nothing entered orbit and that the launch was really a test of long-range missile technology in violation of a U.N. resolution banning the North from any ballistic activity.

International Atomic Energy Agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei said in Beijing on Monday "it could be a question of months" when asked how soon North Korea could restart its nuclear facilities — a move that could yield weapons-grade plutonium.

However, ElBaradei also said he was hopeful that openness shown by the United States under the administration of President Barack Obama would help resume international talks with North Korea.

"While I am distressed because, of course, what has happened in North Korea is a setback, I am optimistic about the new environment," ElBaradei said, and pointed to Washington's new openness to dialogue with countries such as North Korea and Iran — nations whose nuclear ambitions have alarmed the international community.

ElBaradei said that U.S. openness to Iran could provide an opportunity "to resolve the Iranian issue, not just the nuclear issue but the whole regularization of relations between Iran and the international community."

ElBaradei spoke a day before North Korea is set to hold its first official dialogue with South Korea in more than one year, with talks expected to focus on a troubled inter-Korean industrial complex.

Tuesday's talks will mark the first government-to-government dialogue between the sides since Seoul's conservative President Lee Myung-bak took office in February last year with a pledge to get tough with Pyongyang and its nuclear ambitions.

Despite the nuclear standoff, ElBaradei said his personal view was that the only way to resolve such issues was "not through flexing muscles, not necessarily only to go to the Security Council, but to try to address the root causes and engage in mutual dialogue based on mutual respect."

"If you develop a package for North Korea based on assurance of security, economic assistance, human rights, I would hope that North Korea would come back to the fold and again come back to the nonproliferation treaty," he said. The North withdrew from that treaty in 2003.

Under a 2007 six-party deal, North Korea agreed to disable its main nuclear complex in Yongbyon north of Pyongyang in return for 1 million tons of fuel oil and other concessions. In June 2008, North Korea blew up the cooling tower there in a dramatic show of its commitment to denuclearization.

But disablement came to halt a month later as Pyongyang wrangled with Washington over how to verify its past atomic activities. The latest round of talks, in December, failed to push the process forward.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_nuclear_9

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: UN: NKorea could restart nuke facilities in months
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 11:03:24 PM »
I wonder if Obama's next meeting with Kim Jong Ill, KJI will lecture Obama on the evils of America and give him a book about how evil America is... And Obama will then say how gracious he is to receive the gift... and then bow and Kiss Kim's feet.

This gives me an idea for a parody.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:09:35 PM »
I wonder if Obama's next meeting with Kim Jong Ill, KJI will lecture Obama on the evils of America and give him a book about how evil America is... And Obama will then say how gracious he is to receive the gift... and then bow and Kiss Kim's feet.

This gives me an idea for a parody.

briann,
I think that your description of a future meeting between Kim Jong and Obama is plausible.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »
I'm sure that after N.Korea saw Obama's lack of response when they fired the last rocket, Jong figured that there would be no opposition, so he might as well continue with his nuclear plans.