Author Topic: Making Aliyah  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
Making Aliyah
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:02:01 PM »
Has anyone here made aliyah, and if so, what have their experiences been?

I would like to move to Israel in late August or early September. Now, I plan to go to graduate school in the United States in 2010, but I'd like to return to Israel afterward? Could this complicate things? I have virtually nothing to do for a year, so if possible, I would prefer to make aliyah, learn Hebrew and get my documents and citizenship in order so that it would not be complicated for me to re-immigrate after school.

I do not speak Hebrew and my parents were not particularly religious; they ceased to be involved with the Jewish community about 30 years ago when they moved to an area with virtually no Jews, and by their own admission, were too lazy to commute to participate in formalized religious ceremonies. What documents would I need to get in order to prove that I am Jewish?

Is it a fairly quick and straightforward process? How much time is needed to make arrangements before one can get to Israel?

Is it more or less possible to choose where you want to live in Israel? I would prefer to live in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. I understand that the basket is insufficient for rent. I don't really plan to work when I'm there (just write) so how much money would I need to bring with me to rent a decent apartment?

I understand that I'd be able to import a car tax free, and also that cars in Israel are expensive. Would it be wise to bring my car (Mercedes G300 Diesel) and sell it in Israel before I go to the US for school?

I understand that I would have to attend uplan classes for 5 months; how many hours a week and how often are they? I know about 20 words in Hebrew.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Obama must use a magic 8-ball, because if he were flipping a coin he'd be right about half of the time.

Moshe92

Re: Making Aliyah
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Here is a website that can help you.

http://www.nbn.org.il/index.php

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
Re: Making Aliyah
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
Good site, thanks. I was using mainly the Jewish Agency site before but that one is much better.
Obama must use a magic 8-ball, because if he were flipping a coin he'd be right about half of the time.