Author Topic: Political Correctness Defined  (Read 551 times)

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
Political Correctness Defined
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:15 PM »
Sometimes one is encouraged about our country's future when one sees
something like this. Specifically, there is an annual contest at Texas
A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a
contemporary term.

This year's term was "Political Correctness."

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to
pick up a turd by the clean end."
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Political Correctness Defined
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:24:18 PM »
In general I find the PC mindset problematic. While I certainly agree that civilized Jews, and righteous gentiles, should be vigilant of what they say in order not to insult or hurt the other. This idea is expressed in the laws of Lashon Hara and it is said that one who uses hurtful words is worse than a thief {I heard Rabbi Yissocher Frand say this this morning}.

A person should be aware of the feelings of the people who he is speaking to, and should attempt to rebuke in a manner which will be received in the correct way. It is one of the PRIME DIRECTIVES of Torah which says, "Do not do to your neighbor what you would not want done to you".

PC goes over the line in that it makes one feel like a criminal for speaking the truth about problems in society. In this respect I have issues with how PC has been executed. The 'N' word is one of the issues which I have problems with. It is wrong for a word to be taboo to one group, while it is hip and cool for another. This is the hypocrisy of PC. Many here know that I am offended by the 'K' word as it is used by some members here. My reason for offense is not political correctness, but a part of my Ahavas Yisroel {Love of all Jews}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14