Author Topic: NY Frost Watch in June??  (Read 879 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
NY Frost Watch in June??
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
Time to paint your roofs black to stop this!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.uticaod.com/archive/x1175994993/May-to-go-out-under-a-freeze-watch

Local gardeners may want to take special measures to protect their plants this evening as a frost advisory has been issued for much of New York state, including Oneida County.

The advisory issued by the National Weather Service remains in effect until 8 a.m. Monday.

Temperatures are expected to fall into the mid-to-low 30s overnight, and a hard frost is likely as temperatures in colder areas approach freezing.

Brad Alcott, owner of Alcott's Greenhouses in Waterville, said the possible frost may catch some gardeners off guard.

"Memorial Day has always been the rule of thumb for planting in the garden. So June 1 is definitely late," he said.

Alcott offered these suggestions for protecting plants from a late frost:

* Move planters and container gardens inside overnight if at all possible
    * Tomatoes and other sensitive plants can be covered with 5-gallon buckets or specially-designed "water towers" to trap heat around them.
    * Other plants should be covered with cloth sheets
    * Avoid covering plants with plastic sheeting. "Frost will go right through it and burn the plants where it's touching them," Alcott said.

Alcott said frost damage also can be mitigated after it happens by pouring water over plants in the early morning. Removing the frost this way before the sun hits the plants will make the damage less severe, he said.

Alcott said the lastest frost he remembers in our area occurred on June 6. He also said the last frost of the spring is historically associated with a full moon, which this year falls on June 7.

The region’s low temperature for today is expected to be about 36 degrees, which also is the record low temperature for May 31, according to WKTV meteorologists and weather archives.

The record was set in 1966.

A low of 50 degrees is expected for Monday.

The record low for June 1 is 31 degrees, which was set in 1945, according to weather archives.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Re: NY Frost Watch in June??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
This is global warming.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:05:56 AM »
This is global warming.

;D
You can't win with that crowd.  If it were 100 degrees on June 1st, they would blame global warming.
If it were 35 degrees on June 1st, well that's because global warming has melted the polar ice caps which have cooled the ocean water and will cause an ice age.  See how convenient.  Their theory works whether it's unseasonably hot or cold.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
Even proponents of global warming hysteria claim that it comes together with increase in weather abnormalities including more extreme worm/cold days out of season. The are two important global indicators that shows a global warming in progress: The temperatures in the oceans are on the rise (we have data of the ocean temperatures since the 19th century). The second indicator is the rapid melting of ancient ice cover in the arctic.

Moshe92

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »
I live in Massachusetts, and it is really cold now for this time of year. Recently, I wore a t-shirt and shorts to school, and I was shivering for the entire day.

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
I hate frost. I am glad I live in warm Cali  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:45:34 PM by German Kahanist »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »
This is global warming.

I read on reuters that they are predicting this summer to be unusually hot...

Perhaps in Saudi Arabia since the Saudis own  Reuters...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:26 PM »
Maybe global warming is a good thing. It may be a reaction that earth kicks in to protect life against the cold which would occur due to the decrease in sunspot activity. I think in the long run it just may save us from an ice age which could make many species extinct. More and more I think global warming is the answer to the worlds problems.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14