Author Topic: David+weightlifting=sick  (Read 3666 times)

Scriabin

David+weightlifting=sick
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »
David is sick again!

I honestly believe that weightlifting is severely compromising his immune system.

Weightlifting does damage to the muscle tissue that must then be repaired.  This is why he gets sick.

Weightlifting is NOT healthy except with very light weight.

Heavy weightlifting damages the heart.  Weightlifting causes the muscles and connective tissues to tighten and contract.  We should be trying to do the opposite.  We should expand and lengthen our joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons.

When a musclebound weightlifter stops working out, the muscle tissue will eventually turn to fat.  An excess of fat or muscle further compromises the heart.

Weightlifting is for young men that want to impress girls. 

Internal exercise is for older people.

I love David Ben Moshe...that's why I want him to be WELL.

Scriabin

Re: David+weightlifting=sick
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:53:30 PM »
David is sick again!

I honestly believe that weightlifting is severely compromising his immune system.

Weightlifting does damage to the muscle tissue that must then be repaired.  This is why he gets sick.

Weightlifting is NOT healthy except with very light weight.

Heavy weightlifting damages the heart.  Weightlifting causes the muscles and connective tissues to tighten and contract.  We should be trying to do the opposite.  We should expand and lengthen our joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons.

When a musclebound weightlifter stops working out, the muscle tissue will eventually turn to fat.  An excess of fat or muscle further compromises the heart.

Weightlifting is for young men that want to impress girls. 

Internal exercise is for older people.

I love David Ben Moshe...that's why I want him to be WELL.

Yeah, that's so true.  Thanks Scriabin!

ftfl

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »
What level of weight lifting would you say fits into this category? Do dumbbells count? What about chin ups?

Scriabin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:40:27 PM »
What level of weight lifting would you say fits into this category? Do dumbbells count? What about chin ups?

Of course that depends on the weight of the dumbells. 

Weightlifting is only necessary in cases of people who want to build strength.  Some use it to rehabilitate muscles after an injury or surgery.  Athletes need to do weight-training also, but to build muscle mass for vanity's sake is silly at the very least and bad for one's health at the very worst.

Like weightlifting, chin-ups are hard on your joints and will eventually (decades down the road) lead to osteoarthritis.

Of course I don't mean that doing a couple of chin-ups or lifting weights will lead to disastrous conclusions.  I am saying that to engage in daily, heavy weight-training is not good for one's health.  Especially in older men.

ftfl

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
I'm doing work with dumb bells and other exercises such as chin ups to build fitness and muscles to help with my Judo, which I want to take to a much higher level.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 03:13:46 PM »
Then again everyone gets sick once in a while.

David, i just recently heard recovered from the Flu, he was therefore probably more prone to catching other viruses. They then attacked and became resistantly visible when he was well again.

You know what, i don't have a clue :)

But i hope he gets well soon!!

Weightlifting isn't a good practice when you're quite old. Running would be healthier.

ftfl

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »
Just for reference I am not old.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »
Just for reference I am not old.

YOURE NOT :o :o :o

I THOUGHT YOU WERE AT LEAST 105.

;D

ftf

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
lol

Offline drew_in_oregon

• New JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 04:56:11 PM »
I disagree.  Weight training can be very valuable.

However, nearly every weightlifter I've ever met overtrains.  If you are working out more than twice a week, you're overtraining.  As you get bigger, you need to train LESS.  Your muscles grow, but the body's ability to recover (which is when muscles develop!) does NOT grow, so as you get bigger...you need to rest more...which means working out less.

Serious weightlifters should also be sleeping 10 hours a day, which few do.

If you overtrain, don't sleep enough, don't eat right, then you'll get sick.  If you train sensibly, sleep well, eat right, and are otherwise healthy, you will have no problems.

Additionally, most weightlifters jerk heavy weights because they want to look good at the gym (I'm not implying this is David).  I highly recommend High-Intensity Training (aka Arthur Jones)...it's not a course or a book, but a method of training that emphasizes super-slow movements, absolute fatigue, and plenty of rest.  Arthur Jones could give you just the barbell and work you until you threw up - there's no need to be jerking giant weights around.

Finally, remember that our bodies were built to do manual labor all day.  Your body is the same model that Joshua or the Maccabees had, and they did not sit in front of a computer terminal all day.

Scriabin

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »

Finally, remember that our bodies were built to do manual labor all day.  Your body is the same model that Joshua or the Maccabees had, and they did not sit in front of a computer terminal all day.

Yes, bud they didn't train with weights.

There is healthy exercise and ther is unhealthy exercise. 

There are wiser methods of exercise than weightlifting

Offline Bodhi

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
  So what about middle aged men like myself......there is after all something to be said for impressing the girls    ;) ......unfortunately my wife seems not to be impressed lol! :o

Joe Schmo

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »
  So what about middle aged men like myself......there is after all something to be said for impressing the girls    ;) ......unfortunately my wife seems not to be impressed lol! :o

Women are impressed by confidence, grooming, etc. 

Men are the ones that are most impressed by physical beauty.

Men lift weights because they--erroneously--think that women are interested in a beautiful male body in the same way that men are attracted to a beautiful female body.