Author Topic: Today In History - 17th of Tammuz  (Read 607 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Today In History - 17th of Tammuz
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:06:10 PM »
Today is the 17th of Tammuz!

On this day many great calamities have happened to the Jewish people. Today is a fast day for Jews everywhere. I am fasting today and I hope my Jewish brothers and sisters are fasting along with me. Today is the day that commemorates the fall of the walls of Jerusalem. Many terrible things happened today including:

1.  Moses broke the tablets at Mount Sinai — in response to the sin of the Golden Calf.

2. The daily offerings in the First Temple were suspended during the siege of Jerusalem, after the Kohanim could no longer obtain animals.

3. Jerusalem's walls were breached, prior to the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE.

4. Prior to the Great Revolt, the Roman general Apostamos burned a Torah scroll - setting a precedent for the horrifying burning of Jewish books throughout the centuries.

5. An idolatrous image was placed in the Sanctuary of the Holy Temple - a brazen act of blasphemy and desecration.

http://www.aish.com/h/9av/oal/48943446.html
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14