Author Topic: The World of Warcraft is a Kahanist game  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
Re: The World of Warcraft is a Kahanist game
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 01:42:02 AM »
Judaism does not say that there is nothing to astrology. Judaism just requests that humanity doesn't try to use the forces of nature in order to predict the future. The whole concept of Mazel {Flow} is based on the stars. There is reason to believe that all forces in the universe play a part in the flow of power. I don't discount the idea that the stars may influence my daily routine.

We should not attempt to use the forces of nature in order to try to know the future. Every time mankind does this Hashem has thwarted our attempts.

We also deny the concept of coincidence...

http://www.ou.org/chagim/astrology.htm

Significance of Astrology in Judaism

In Judaism, Astrology is not regarded as "idol worship," even though the generic name for "idol worship" is "Avodat Kochavim U'Mazalot," Worship of the Stars and the Signs of the Zodiac."

From the Jewish perspective, the stars are not unrelated to events on earth. It is not irrelevant whether one was born on Pesach, or Yom Kippur, or Lag Ba'Omer or on any particular day. Each day is special and has a unique imprint.

On the other hand, if an individual was born under the "sign" of Mars, the Talmud says that he will have a tendency to spill blood. This tendency can be realized in a number of very different ways, however, which are subject to an individual's choice. In this case, options might be a soldier, a surgeon, a murderer, a "shochet," a ritual slaughterer of animals, or a "mohel," one who performs ritual circumcisions. These options correspond to a potential hero, a healer, one who violates the "image of G-d," to those who do "holy work" of different types.

There is a principle, "Ayn Mazal L'Yisrael," "Israel's fate is not determined by the stars." The Jew, raised in his People's traditions and Torah values, feels the reality of "freedom of choice" in his bones. So deeply ingrained is this knowledge and feeling, that the Jew rarely has cause to think about astrological factors.

It is the belief that one cannot escape from the grip of the stars that distinguishes Astrology from "Worship of the Stars and Signs of the Zodiac." It is always possible to define one's fate, by choosing behavior which is guided by morality and integrity, within the parameters - intellectual and emotional, physical and spiritual, which a person is given to work with.

I totally REJECT the concept of horoscopes as my fate is lead by HaShem and not by stars. They are just twinkling distant suns far far away in the galaxy and I deny that they DO influence my life. What really influences my life is how I act - this causes RE-actions and re-re-actions and so on.
Today's astrology has little to do with the old Jewish mazalot but is basically an islamic-Greek forthgoing concept. And I don't like the way many people put the stars just above HaShem and trust a star-worshipping-which more than the Torah! It was HaShem who created the stars in the order they are, and not the atrologists who basically are charlatans and often do not even believe themselves what they say.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:02 AM »
<snip>

I totally REJECT the concept of horoscopes as my fate is lead by HaShem and not by stars. They are just twinkling distant suns far far away in the galaxy and I deny that they DO influence my life. What really influences my life is how I act - this causes RE-actions and re-re-actions and so on.
Today's astrology has little to do with the old Jewish mazalot but is basically an islamic-Greek forthgoing concept. And I don't like the way many people put the stars just above HaShem and trust a star-worshipping-which more than the Torah! It was HaShem who created the stars in the order they are, and not the atrologists who basically are charlatans and often do not even believe themselves what they say.

As you said, Hashem created the stars and he created you. You cannot deny that there are forces outside you which influence your decisions. Hashem places everything in your world, just for you. He makes the wind blow, and the cosmic rays from distant stars. It is obvious that free will is influenced by the environment. We do not have control over everything around us.

BTW, I am not suggesting that 'horoscopes' or other modern gimmiks are actually anything to consider. But my point is that there are things outside of ourselves which can affect us.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Madmarv

• Full JTFer
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 02:29:31 AM »
Judaism does not say that there is nothing to astrology. Judaism just requests that humanity doesn't try to use the forces of nature in order to predict the future. The whole concept of Mazel {Flow} is based on the stars. There is reason to believe that all forces in the universe play a part in the flow of power. I don't discount the idea that the stars may influence my daily routine.

We should not attempt to use the forces of nature in order to try to know the future. Every time mankind does this Hashem has thwarted our attempts.

We also deny the concept of coincidence...

http://www.ou.org/chagim/astrology.htm

Significance of Astrology in Judaism

In Judaism, Astrology is not regarded as "idol worship," even though the generic name for "idol worship" is "Avodat Kochavim U'Mazalot," Worship of the Stars and the Signs of the Zodiac."

From the Jewish perspective, the stars are not unrelated to events on earth. It is not irrelevant whether one was born on Pesach, or Yom Kippur, or Lag Ba'Omer or on any particular day. Each day is special and has a unique imprint.

On the other hand, if an individual was born under the "sign" of Mars, the Talmud says that he will have a tendency to spill blood. This tendency can be realized in a number of very different ways, however, which are subject to an individual's choice. In this case, options might be a soldier, a surgeon, a murderer, a "shochet," a ritual slaughterer of animals, or a "mohel," one who performs ritual circumcisions. These options correspond to a potential hero, a healer, one who violates the "image of G-d," to those who do "holy work" of different types.

There is a principle, "Ayn Mazal L'Yisrael," "Israel's fate is not determined by the stars." The Jew, raised in his People's traditions and Torah values, feels the reality of "freedom of choice" in his bones. So deeply ingrained is this knowledge and feeling, that the Jew rarely has cause to think about astrological factors.

It is the belief that one cannot escape from the grip of the stars that distinguishes Astrology from "Worship of the Stars and Signs of the Zodiac." It is always possible to define one's fate, by choosing behavior which is guided by morality and integrity, within the parameters - intellectual and emotional, physical and spiritual, which a person is given to work with.

God can make stars that control your life. Many people refute certain facts or theories based on other beliefs, but they are just unaware that both does not contradict ...
UNITED WE STAND,

DIVIDED WE FALL.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:30 AM »
<snip>

As you said, Hashem created the stars and he created you. You cannot deny that there are forces outside you which influence your decisions. Hashem places everything in your world, just for you. He makes the wind blow, and the cosmic rays from distant stars. It is obvious that free will is influenced by the environment. We do not have control over everything around us.

BTW, I am not suggesting that 'horoscopes' or other modern gimmiks are actually anything to consider. But my point is that there are things outside of ourselves which can affect us.

When I was talking about astrology this is exactly what I meant. Modern gimmicks in magazines and horoscopes. How does a person consider him/herself - let's say - a Gemini if by the time he/she was born, the sun was located in Taurus!? This is a contradiction to the own concept of Astrology. Who made it fix that the horoscopes are based on the facts of about 2,000 years ago?
This is a clearly Christian tradition of putting Jesus' year of birth (if am not wrong) as the time for horoscope calculations. This would make it nonsense for Jews anyway! A friend of mine would even be Ophichus as a sign... Just make it visible how horoscopes are pure nonsense!

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:55 AM »
The theological criticism had its origins within Judaism, the oldest of the three monotheistic religions. Judaism was the most outspoken critic of astrology. During the Greek and Babylonian exile the Jews came into contact with the sources of astrological teachings. Many of their religious prophets, including Moses and Jeremiah, considered astrology to be star worship. This was seen as being in defiance of the dominant theological conviction that only permitted worship of what was considered to be the one true God - Y****. The Tanach therefore contains many passages which condemn astrology.

http://wiki.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Opponents_of_Astrology

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
Could someone elaborate on whether they consider any part of the game to be involved with spells or witchcraft?

Lol ofcourse, most of it involves around spells and casting magic ;D

No seriously, I am greatly concerned about this as a spiritual issue, I know someone who plays it a lot, has for years. If what you say is true, I would consider it a dangerous thing, akin to Harry Potter. 

What's wrong with harry potter? No different than lord of the rings. People don't actually believe that stuff, it's just entertainment and fantasy.