Author Topic: The Names of Hashem  (Read 4466 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Names of Hashem
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »
I have noticed that some non-Jewish members have been posting images or threads, or signature lines, which contain the holy name of Hashem {Yud Kay Vav Kay}. We should alert these users that such uses of the name in such an undignified manner is prohibited.

Someone the other day posted a Shabbat poster which contained this name... And ~Hanna~ now has a signature line which contains this name. I don't think it is done on purpose but someone who they are more comfortable with should tell them that we don't use that name like that.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
Re: The Names of Hashem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »
Is there any chance people here could PM me instead of finding it necessary to chastise me in public? I've been alot through this past week, including haveing death threats, so I will go back into my cave now.

Sorry, but I cant seem to do anything right, no matter where I am at.

:'( :'( :'(

I have noticed that some non-Jewish members have been posting images or threads, or signature lines, which contain the holy name of Hashem {Yud Kay Vav Kay}. We should alert these users that such uses of the name in such an undignified manner is prohibited.

Someone the other day posted a Shabbat poster which contained this name... And ~Hanna~ now has a signature line which contains this name. I don't think it is done on purpose but someone who they are more comfortable with should tell them that we don't use that name like that.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
 :o Don't feel bad, Hanna.  You did not mean to do anything wrong.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:59:07 PM »
Is there any chance people here could PM me instead of finding it necessary to chastise me in public? I've been alot through this past week, including haveing death threats, so I will go back into my cave now.

Sorry, but I cant seem to do anything right, no matter where I am at.

:'( :'( :'(

~Hanna~

I did not mean to shame you in public... I should have just written to you...

I don't know if it is well known that Jews have certain names of G-d which we just don't say {when we read it we say something else}. In the past I was chastised by a fellow here at JTF for teaching these names to non-Jews..

I am very sorry if this post caused you any distress.. I hope that your troubles will soon go away...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
For a moment I though q_q was back...Hanna it's the height of the summer season no time to be in the cave. Don't let it bother you so much it was a honest mistake. A PM was in order and I am sure you would have corrected the situation. Put one of your nice signatures back up and move past this nonsense. We have real issues to deal with!!
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:25:53 PM »
For a moment I though q_q was back...Hanna it's the height of the summer season no time to be in the cave. Don't let it bother you so much it was a honest mistake. A PM was in order and I am sure you would have corrected the situation. Put one of your nice signatures back up and move past this nonsense. We have real issues to deal with!!

Actually it was q_q_ who pointed this out to me... It is true that we should not write this name {Yud Kay Vav Kay} where it may be disrespected...

http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

The Names of G-d

I have often heard people refer to the Judeo-Christian G-d as "the nameless G-d" to contrast our G-d with the ancient pagan gods. I always found this odd, because Judaism clearly recognizes the existence of a Name for G-d; in fact, we have many Names for G-d.

The most important of G-d's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (Hashem). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name. Linguistically, it is related to the Hebrew root Hei-Yod-Hei (to be), and reflects the fact that G-d's existence is eternal. In scripture, this Name is used when discussing G-d's relation with human beings, and when emphasizing his qualities of lovingkindness and mercy. It is frequently shortened to Yah (Yod-Hei), Yahu or Yeho (Yod-Hei-Vav), especially when used in combination with names or phrases, as in Yehoshua (Joshua, meaning "the Lord is my Salvation"), Eliyahu (Elijah, meaning "my G-d is the Lord"), and Halleluyah ("praise the Lord").

The first Name used for G-d in scripture is Hashem. In form, the word is a masculine plural of a word that looks feminine in the singular (Eloha). The same word (or, according to Rambam, a homonym of it) is used to refer to princes, judges, other gods, and other powerful beings. This Name is used in scripture when emphasizing G-d's might, His creative power, and his attributes of justice and rulership. Variations on this name include El, Eloha, Elohai (my G-d) and Elohaynu (our G-d).

G-d is also known as El Shaddai. This Name is usually translated as "G-d Almighty," however, the derivation of the word "Shaddai" is not known. According to some views, it is derived from the root meaning "to heap benefits." According a Midrash, it means, "The One who said 'dai'" ("dai" meaning enough or sufficient) and comes from the fact that when G-d created the universe, it expanded until He said "DAI!" (perhaps the first recorded theory of an expanding universe?). The name Shaddai is the one written on the mezuzah scroll. Some note that Shaddai is an acronym of Shomer Daltot Yisrael, Guardian of the Doors of Israel.

Another significant Name of G-d is Hashem Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "Lord of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to G-d's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah (i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.

~Hanna~ please don't think I am singling you out here... You did not know about this and there is no judgement against you... Do not hide in the cave {as you suggest}... It is beautiful and we all learn as we go...

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
Hanna, it's time to come out of your Cave.

I think you need a time limit for hiding in your Cave, how about 5 minutes?

Now we need you back! Please!

Shalom - Dox   

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »
why....

:laugh:

Hanna, it's time to come out of your Cave.

I think you need a time limit for hiding in your Cave, how about 5 minutes?

Now we need you back! Please!

Shalom - Dox   
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
Ok, I guess I am confused? Was it the Hebrew or the English? what?

Ive sat through teachings of what not to say, but that was so many years ago now I forgot... :'(

I thought if something was posted in Hebrew it would be ok.

Now I am really confused.

Actually it was q_q_ who pointed this out to me... It is true that we should not write this name {Yud Kay Vav Kay} where it may be disrespected...

The Names of G-d

I have often heard people refer to the Judeo-Christian G-d as "the nameless G-d" to contrast our G-d with the ancient pagan gods. I always found this odd, because Judaism clearly recognizes the existence of a Name for G-d; in fact, we have many Names for G-d.

The most important of G-d's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Hei-Vav-Hei (Hashem). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name. Linguistically, it is related to the Hebrew root Hei-Yod-Hei (to be), and reflects the fact that G-d's existence is eternal. In scripture, this Name is used when discussing G-d's relation with human beings, and when emphasizing his qualities of lovingkindness and mercy. It is frequently shortened to Yah (Yod-Hei), Yahu or Yeho (Yod-Hei-Vav), especially when used in combination with names or phrases, as in Yehoshua (Joshua, meaning "the Lord is my Salvation"), Eliyahu (Elijah, meaning "my G-d is the Lord"), and Halleluyah ("praise the Lord").

The first Name used for G-d in scripture is Hashem. In form, the word is a masculine plural of a word that looks feminine in the singular (Eloha). The same word (or, according to Rambam, a homonym of it) is used to refer to princes, judges, other gods, and other powerful beings. This Name is used in scripture when emphasizing G-d's might, His creative power, and his attributes of justice and rulership. Variations on this name include El, Eloha, Elohai (my G-d) and Elohaynu (our G-d).

G-d is also known as El Shaddai. This Name is usually translated as "G-d Almighty," however, the derivation of the word "Shaddai" is not known. According to some views, it is derived from the root meaning "to heap benefits." According a Midrash, it means, "The One who said 'dai'" ("dai" meaning enough or sufficient) and comes from the fact that when G-d created the universe, it expanded until He said "DAI!" (perhaps the first recorded theory of an expanding universe?). The name Shaddai is the one written on the mezuzah scroll. Some note that Shaddai is an acronym of Shomer Daltot Yisrael, Guardian of the Doors of Israel.

Another significant Name of G-d is Hashem Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "Lord of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to G-d's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah (i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.

~Hanna~ please don't think I am singling you out here... You did not know about this and there is no judgement against you... Do not hide in the cave {as you suggest}... It is beautiful and we all learn as we go...

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »
Ok, I guess I am confused? Was it the Hebrew or the English? what?

Ive sat through teachings of what not to say, but that was so many years ago now I forgot... :'(

I thought if something was posted in Hebrew it would be ok.

Now I am really confused.

The Names of G-d

Hi Hanna,

I hope you are feeling better...

I don't know what the entire quote in your signature used to be but it contained the Yud Kay Vav Kay name. I am saying Kay instead of Hay because some rabbis believe that spelling it in the improper intention is also dangerous. We show respect to Hashem through the respect which we give his name.

Im sure if you go to an online hebrew Torah then you will find this four-letter name, it often appears as "Hashem Elokim" {as the excerpt above explains about the differences between these two names} which is often translated as "Hashem your G-d".

If you are really interested you should contact a Rabbi who may, or may not, discuss this topic with you. Truly we should not be discussing the names with non-Jews.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:14:49 AM »
Yeah well I don't know if typing on a computer is even relevant to this issue, and certainly not when it is transliterated out into English.

But anyway, I am not going to get involved in this discussion any further, you two just figure it out together (and anyone else involved).   

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:05:11 AM »
Please don't feel upset Hanna. You are a wonderful person and thank you for your support of the Jews and Israel!

If you want to mention our Creator in Hebrew, I suggest to use the following names:

הקב"ה It is the abbreviation which stands for הקדוש ברוך הוא - "Ha-Kadosh Baruch Hu" - "The Holy One, Blessed Be He"

בורא עולם - "Boreh Olam" - The Creator of the Universe.

The religious Jews have been using them in everyday speech for thousands of years.

These are not the names of G-d but his attributes. It is not forbidden to use them. Moreover, we may say about the one who mentions G-d in this way that he/she is a believer and G-d-fearing person.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Thankyou for that....

I will do that...

Thankyou....

Please don't feel upset Hanna. You are a wonderful person and thank you for your support of the Jews and Israel!

If you want to mention our Creator in Hebrew, I suggest to use the following names:

הקב"ה It is the abbreviation which stands for הקדוש ברוך הוא - "Ha-Kadosh Baruch Hu" - "The Holy One, Blessed Be He"

בורא עולם - "Boreh Olam" - The Creator of the Universe.

The religious Jews have been using them in everyday speech for thousands of years.

These are not the names of G-d but his attributes. It is not forbidden to use them. Moreover, we may say about the one who mentions G-d in this way that he/she is a believer and G-d-fearing person.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל