Author Topic: Learn history - youtube comments are not a good source of accurate information  (Read 9572 times)

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
The person who I take most stock in is Churchill and the next is Eisenhower. From what I gathered over the years is all the main players played important parts in winning the war. One thing that Churchill makes clear if it wasn't for America Hitler would have prevailed against England and most likely against Russia. America would have then been left to face Germany on its own. I would have to say although Russia paid a higher price in human life it was America that made winning the war possible.
:laugh:
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
ww2 probably, just not the eastern front judging by your comments "dude".
Trivia question [censored]--what Soviet early-war plane was a failure, despite great theoretical performance, because it was badly lopsided?

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
i know, you probably just went straight to wikipedia.

I've been studying WWII since you were a gleam in your two fathers' eyes, [censored].
Bones, I like you but you are mistaken on the subject. Just ask yourself, how come in 1944 Allies did not face any significant German air force? Where did it all go? If you don't want Russian or British sources, I can recommend you german source - Hans D. Seidl  - "Stalin's Eagle"
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Spectator, I expected more from you! Which German Armies in Afrika? One purely equipped 21st Panzer and 5th Leichte (Light) infantry division. Ok, let all the ignoramuses believe that US won the war, but you should know better.

I don't believe US alone won the war. As you could see from the previous thread on this issue, I think USSR played the major part in the battlefield.

It is true that the best tank divisions were used against USSR, but don't forget that USSR was on the brink of defeat. If the wermacht had the African divisions at hand as an addition to what they actually used in the Eastern front, they could have won.

The scenario I was talking about was if Soviets were fighting the war alone from the beginning. Do you really believe USSR would have won the war against the Axis alone?
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
ww2 probably, just not the eastern front judging by your comments "dude".
Trivia question [censored]--what Soviet early-war plane was a failure, despite great theoretical performance, because it was badly lopsided?

lopsided in what way?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Bones, I like you but you are mistaken on the subject. Just ask yourself, how come in 1944 Allies did not face any significant German air force? Where did it all go? If you don't want Russian or British sources, I can recommend you german source - Hans D. Seidl  - "Stalin's Eagle"
Most of the Luftwaffe was pulverized over six months of futile attempts to stop the B17s and 24s. The Thunderbolt, Mustang, and Spitfire made mincemeat of the painfully obsolete 109s and good but altitudinally challenged 190s. The good Soviet fighters (La-7 and MiG-3) didn't see much use until later in 1944.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Paying a higher price in loss of life to wear down and enemy  doesn't make anyone a main player it makes them  stupid and backwards.  :read: Try it sometime
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
lopsided in what way?
Of course you can't answer a basic WWII "Ostfront" question. But here are three more anyway:

1: What was the fatal flaw of the Elefant super-heavy tank destroyer?
2: What did the Soviets do with the Auschwitz Nazi extermination camp immediately postwar?
3: What Soviet plane shot down many German fighters even after it had been destroyed itself?

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Paying a higher price in loss of life to wear down and enemy  doesn't make anyone a main player it makes them  stupid and backwards.  :read: Try it sometime

cjd, after 1942 the Soviets fought really well. In 1944-45 German army experienced a real catastrophe and (thank G-d) lost millions.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
lopsided in what way?
Of course you can't answer a basic WWII "Ostfront" question. But here are three more anyway:

1: What was the fatal flaw of the Elefant super-heavy tank destroyer?
2: What did the Soviets do with the Auschwitz Nazi extermination camp immediately postwar?
3: What Soviet plane shot down many German fighters even after it had been destroyed itself?

its not basic when you say things that don't make sense.  You said it was "lopsided" In what way? was one side bigger than the other? was the weight not evenly distributed?

anyway, the elefant wasn't mechanically reliable.  If you're thinking about the lack of machine gun flaw, that was an earlier development of the design called the "ferdinand"

the soviets used auschwitz as a prison camp.

your third question makes no sense

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Most of the Luftwaffe was pulverized over six months of futile attempts to stop the B17s and 24s. The Thunderbolt, Mustang, and Spitfire made mincemeat of the painfully obsolete 109s and good but altitudinally challenged 190s. The good Soviet fighters (La-7 and MiG-3) didn't see much use until later in 1944.

nope.  most of the luftwaffe was pulverized fighting the VVS on the eastern front.  109s were never "painfully obsolete", new variants and upgrades were introduced until the end of the war.  The mustang and spitfire were not inherently superior, they just never had a shortage of experienced pilots.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Regarding Luftwaffe at Eastern front, we must take into account the Battle of Kursk.

Luftwaffe has lost 3000 planes in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

so you're saying the soviets just had huge hordes that commonly practiced human wave attacks or something?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
nope.  most of the luftwaffe was pulverized fighting the VVS on the eastern front.  109s were never "painfully obsolete", new variants and upgrades were introduced until the end of the war.  The mustang and spitfire were not inherently superior, they just never had a shortage of experienced pilots.
Interesting revision of aviation history. You don't call an airplane that was twice as heavy as a 109G, some 40mph faster, with twice the armament, and had a 4000' higher peak altitude "inherently superior"? Are you huffing some high-octane airplane fumes?

The 109 G-14 was introduced in October 1944, long after Germany's main industrial base had been vaporized by the round-clock bombing campaigns and and the USAAC had made the 190s and earlier 109Gs (which were more than 50mph slower than P51Ds) their kurvas. The G-14 was a little more than 10mph slower than the Mustang, but nowhere near as maneuverable.

The 109K, which was as fast as the latest Allied planes but still nowhere near as agile, wasn't introduced until spring of '45, and in very small numbers.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
its not basic when you say things that don't make sense.  You said it was "lopsided" In what way? was one side bigger than the other? was the weight not evenly distributed?
Obviously you don't have the answer, it's okay to admit that you know.

anyway, the elefant wasn't mechanically reliable.  If you're thinking about the lack of machine gun flaw, that was an earlier development of the design called the "ferdinand"

the soviets used auschwitz as a prison cam
How long did it take for Google to give you those answers?

See first response.

One more question for you, when did the siege of Lake Balaton start and when did it end?

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Interesting revision of aviation history. You don't call an airplane that was twice as heavy as a 109G, some 40mph faster, and with twice the armament "inherently superior"? Are you huffing some high-octane airplane fumes?

The 109 G-14 was introduced in October 1944, long after Germany's main industrial base had been vaporized by the round-clock bombing campaigns and and the USAAC had made the 190s and earlier 109Gs (which were more than 50mph slower than P51Ds) their kurvas. The G-14 was a little more than 10mph slower than the Mustang, but nowhere near as maneuverable.

The 109K, which was as fast as the latest Allied planes but still nowhere near as agile, wasn't introduced until spring of '45, and in very small numbers.
what plane are you talking about?
germany's main industrial base was never vaporized, since their best production year was 1944.  

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
cjd, after 1942 the Soviets fought really well. In 1944-45 German army experienced a real catastrophe and (thank G-d) lost millions.

According to wikipedia, the Soviets had 6,651,000 killed or missing in action while the Nazis at the Eastern front had 4,428,000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Front_(World_War_II)#Casualties

I don't find this ratio too stupid or backward. I don't think wiki is favoring the Soviets either.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Obviously you don't have the answer, it's okay to admit that you know.

the soviets used auschwitz as a prison cam
How long did it take for Google to give you those answers?

See first response.

One more question for you, when did the siege of Lake Balaton start and when did it end?

it took me 0.0 seconds to google them.  Let me ask you a question with wording akin to yours.  What soviet tank was a failure because it was too top heavy and wide?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Duh, the KV-2 with its 152mm low-velocity howitzer. Same gun was used successfully later in the SU and JSU-152s though.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
what plane are you talking about?
germany's main industrial base was never vaporized, since their best production year was 1944.  
Learn to read, I said October 1944.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
Duh, the KV-2 with its 152mm low-velocity howitzer. Same gun was used successfully later in the SU and JSU-152s though.

nope, nice try though

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member

so you're saying the soviets just had huge hordes that commonly practiced human wave attacks or something?
The soviets fought an obsolete war they fought on horse back at some points against a modern German army. The Russians made up the defecency in human numbers.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
nope, nice try though
Whatever. LOL.

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer

The soviets fought an obsolete war they fought on horse back at some points against a modern German army. The Russians made up the defecency in human numbers.
Please prove it.

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer

how do you think the german infantry lugged around towed artillery in the war?