Poll

What religion do you classify yourself with?

Secular Judaism
5 (13.5%)
Orthodox Judaism
6 (16.2%)
Conservative/Traditional Judaism
6 (16.2%)
Reform Judaism
1 (2.7%)
Heredi Judaism (Zionist)
0 (0%)
Heredi Judaism (Non-Zionist)
0 (0%)
Not Jewish; Christian
12 (32.4%)
Not Jewish; Agnostic
0 (0%)
Not Jewish; Atheist
1 (2.7%)
Not Jewish; Other
4 (10.8%)
Jewish - Other
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What religion do you classify yourself with?  (Read 3031 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: What religion do you classify yourself with?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »
I guess the best way to put it is that I'm a non practicing orthodox Jew..but the thing is I do my best

i was previously part of the conservative movement, but no longer associate myself with them..best to say that the more authentic Judaism is orthodoxy..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 12:31:19 AM »
Not Jewish: Noachide

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 02:12:07 AM »
I guess the best way to put it is that I'm a non practicing orthodox Jew..but the thing is I do my best

i was previously part of the conservative movement, but no longer associate myself with them..best to say that the more authentic Judaism is orthodoxy..

I heard conservative judaism was identical to orthodox in the 70's, I know that a lot of the rabbis from the conservative movement in the 70's had Orthodox s'micha.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »
It is hard to classify myself. I am very strict and observant in the things that I do, although I am not very demanding towards others. I eat kosher, do my prayers, rest on Shabbes etc.
But I do not regulary attend the synagogue since the community of my city reformed and too modern in some questions. But if I was a conservative Jew I would attend the synagogue anyway. I have problems to identify with people discussing their new clothes, last journeys and other such stuff in a synagogue. DO IT AT HOME!!!!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

I heard conservative judaism was identical to orthodox in the 70's, I know that a lot of the rabbis from the conservative movement in the 70's had Orthodox s'micha.

Some of the leaders of conservative Judaism in the early days wrapped tefillin, kept the mitzvot, etc.   Nowadays the only thing a conservative rabbi wraps is a ham and cheese sandwich in plastic wrap for the road.    (that was censored since I know some people are sensitive to certain food types being mentioned here).   

I wouldn't say "identical" - The movements were different but some of the "conservative" rabbis were really Orthodox rabbis who took jobs as conservative rabbis or cantors in the conservative shul because back then orthodoxy was very small and there weren't so many jobs available for orthodox rabbis.   But the conservative populace was not orthodox, although more traditional than current conservative groups.   Eventually the movement and the populace outgrew the pious orthodox individuals who may have been involved.   That's my take on it.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »
OY who cares what sect of Judaism we are anymore,lol???? We are one nation united against the enemy. ANACHNU YEHUDIM!!!! KOL YISRAEL ACHIM! Please watch and lean

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »
OY who cares what sect of Judaism we are anymore,lol???? We are one nation united against the enemy. ANACHNU YEHUDIM!!!! KOL YISRAEL ACHIM! Please watch and lean

Kol HaKavod!

When this thread was started, with six {I mean seven} different Jewish divisions, this is exactly what I thought...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »

Kol HaKavod!

When this thread was started, with six {I mean seven} different Jewish divisions, this is exactly what I thought...

Muman, it's already been established that we were probably the same person in a different life. Great minds think alike.