Author Topic: African Bishop we have obama why not Black Pope  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: African Bishop we have obama why not Black Pope
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
Dezmond Tutu could be the next pope, except that he is probably too old.

Tutu is Angelican. He will be never pope.
potatoes potatos ...

I don't understand.
Sorry Ulli it is an English phrase but you need to hear it to understand. I meant to say I can't tell the difference between Anglican and Catholic bishops.
It is really difficult, because Angelicans have some protestant views, but in their liturgy and great parts of their theology they are very similar to the Catholics.

Angelicans divided not mainly because of theological dispute from the Roman Catholic church, but because of political & personal reasons.

Heinrich VII. king of England needed a justification for one of his marriages and the pope didn't approve. So he made himself the head of the church of England.
Oh I've heard of Henry VIII, and also I watched the BBC drama which I think goes by the title of "The six wives of Henry the 8th" and I also watched the recent drama series "The Tudors", but it is not too true the factual history. 

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
1) Desmond Tutu is indeed Anglican and ineligible to be Pope of the Catholic church.

2) The article itself sez that the Catholic church has had great growth in Africa, while it's churches in western Europe are a sad disgrace.

3) And when I write 'sad disgrace', I'm referring to not only embarrassing attendance, but also embarrassing theology.  And on this side of the pond also:  When American Episcopals started ordaining homosexual priests, those old-line Episcopal churches that refused to go liberal ran to their only safe haven:  under the leadership of Anglican bishops seated in (drum roll, please) Africa.  That says a lot, when you must run to the safety of the Dark Continent to avoid heresy.

It certainly sounds to me like this Catholic bishop was responding to a loaded question, not starting a campaign.  It may be comforting to know that I've met more than a few Africans who think American blacks are losers.

To be clear, my attitude about sub-Saharan Africans is a lot like Albert Schweitzer, considered a living saint in his time but the writer of some remarkably grim opinions about intelligence of Africans, and that is more or less a classic 'white man's burden' philosophy.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
Oh like hell!!
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:12 PM »
Let me try to explain the potato thing. Sometimes people with different English accents pronounce words differently, but both are actually correct pronunciations, for the region they're in. For example Americans and British have their own versions of English. (You could argue the British version is more correct if you want, but both are considered to be acceptable English).

For example when Americans say patriotism, they usually pronounce the a as a long a, like in hay, bay, say, and British pronounce it as a short a, as in bat, cat, sat

Potato can be prounced with a long or short a, in a similar fasion, so if someone says potato/potawto tomato/tomawto, they usually mean that they don't see any real significant difference in two different concepts, because they both refer to the same object.

For example, I used to get mad when my mom would call Gulf Coast Toads "frogs", because they were toads, not frogs. She didn't do this, but she could have said "potato/potawto tomato/tomawto" to indicate it didn't matter.