Author Topic: My Request & My Teshuva : All Jews Must Read!  (Read 2272 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
My Request & My Teshuva : All Jews Must Read!
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »
Shana Tova my Brothers and Sisters,

It is Rosh Hashana and we must inspect ourselves through introspection. Jewish custom requires the Jew to go through a period of asking him or herself whether we have reached our potential, both spiritually and physically, both individually and as the Jewish nation. The entire month of Elul, which has quickly passed, is time for preparation for this special time of judgment.

I have been looking at myself and I realize that there is a lot of work to do. I started my teshuva almost six years ago and still I find a lot of blemishes in my character. I will not enumerate them here, and this is not my intention, because it would be needlessly embarrassing to myself. But I also realize that we Jews have not been uniting to accomplish the goal of the Jewish nation. Living in America has given us a lot of nice things like money, possessions, homes and vehicles. I really think America is great and provides such opportunity to its citizens and we are so lucky that our ancestors settled here.

I also realize that America has also had a devastating effect on Jewish community and unity. Our people have maintained a unique identity amongst the nations. The sages of antiquity came up with ways to ensure that we would not assimilate. So many of our beliefs require us to maintain our unique features and reject the philosophy of the day. The patriarch Abraham was called Ivri because he stood on one side, and the rest of the world stood on the other. He rejected the views of idolators and followed the ways of Hashem, even to his own apparent detriment. Do you realize that in America we have an almost 60% intermarriage rate now? Do you know Reform doesn't even consider intermarriage a violation of Torah? I just read that Conservative are becoming more lenient in this area and it will be a nail in our Jewish coffin when this happens.

What can we do to stem the tide which appears to be flowing against us, and Hashems promise to our forefathers? Of course I know that Hashems plan cannot be annulled but I think that we must make a more sincere teshuva, in order to merit Hashems providence for the Jewish nation. What kind of Teshuva am I talking about now?

I am talking about the basic belief that all Jews are a part of one unit. When we are judged we are judged individually, but we are also judged as a Jewish nation. We have the mitzvah of Ahavas Yisroel {Loving All of Israel} and we must care about the unlearned Jew in order to help him. My own family has lost its Jewish faith and has assimilated.

We must reach out to our liberal and reform family members and beseech them to understand why Israel is so important to Jewish survival. We cannot be angry at them or rebuke them harshly. Even when it seems like we should say something to our parents {which may come out wrong} we should not express it because the mitzvah of honoring parents is so important. Of course if our parents are really wicked people then we should avoid situations where we would be able to dishonor them.

There are ways to explain the situation to a fellow Jew. To explain how important it is to keep Jerusalem and to have a Jewish state in Israel. Sometimes family members are just afraid to talk about it, but it must be discussed. We must let our families know that we are standing strong for the Jewish cause. Possibly something we say can make a difference. Even when it seems impossible there may be something which makes an impression. But control your emotions and don't show anger or condescension. Do not preach to your parents. I have run into these issues with my mother and father and over time they have come to understand what I am saying.

Help other Jews when they need help. It is good for the Jewish soul to give charity. As we say on Yom Kippur, Teshuva, Tefillah, and Tzedakkah are the ways to turn an evil decree around. Helping others makes us better Jews and exhibits Hashems mercy in this world. As Avraham Avinu entertained the three angels who were dressed as arabs rather than speak with Hashem himself, we learn that entertaining guests is a mitzvah.

It is important to spread your faith amongst your family. In my case I have strengthened my parents... May my words make an impact on a reader to make a sincere teshuva and join our people in our promised destiny.

May it be Hashems will that this year will bring Moshiach and the rebuilding of the Holy Temple.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/4453/jewish/Teshuvah-Tefilla-and-Tzedakah.htm
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/9056
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:08:07 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: My Request & My Teshuva : All Jews Must Read!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
I would also like to add that we should cry out in our Tefillah {Prayer} all of our innermost feelings. Hashem loves our prayer and one who prays with great kevannah {intention/focus} is special to him.

We all are in need of Refuah {healing} , of Parnassa {livelyhood/work}, and Hashgacha Pratis {divine providence}. Through our prayers we can express our needs. Of course Hashem knows best what we need, but despite this he wants us to daven our guts out {figuratively of course}.

I am so grateful that I devote the entire ten days of repentance to this task. I will daven in every minyan which can be assembled in my community. Sometimes I fear that there is still an evil decree over me and this year will be difficult.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »
Thank you Muman for this great introspection! May G-d send you and all the Jews a blessed year!

שנה טובה ומבורכת לכל בית ישראל
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:04 AM »
Shkoyach.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
Thanks Muman - it is a great post. I do not share your view that Jews in America have a future, however. All what your wrote make only sense in Israel, not in US or elsewhere
Hayot Araviot Masrihot