Author Topic: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Help gaining weight, i'm having problems
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 11:07:12 AM »
KahaneWasRight,

I am not an MD, but

That right there underlies the whole problem with this thread.   That statement is true by just about everyone commenting here, and it is exactly the reason why Israelite needs to get checked up by a real doctor.

Hyper- or hypothyroidism, if there is not a thyroid tumor involved, is among the least severe of hormonal imbalances to treat. It involves simple bloodwork and corresponding amounts of the corrective medication, which I understand is among the cheapest of all synthetic hormones.

Again you are missing the point.   It's easy to treat, yeah that's easy for someone who doesn't have it to say.   And regardless of how "easy" it is to treat, I've already made this point several times, if it is left UNTREATED it can be very dangerous and even lifethreatening.    So you see, how something that is relatively "mild" disorder that can be "easily treated" is very dangerous if left UNTREATED.   Thus the necessity of seeing the doctor.   That is what I'm trying to stress this whole time.

As for the milk, to each his own in terms of taste, but I don't believe that G-d would create unhealthy basic ingredients for us to eat (whole milk).

That's a very bizarre line of reasoning.  I'm sure the African tribesman who drink pig urine also say the same thing.

Saturated, or animal, fat has gotten a completely unwarranted bad rap over the years thanks to heavy lobbying by the soybean industry and its flunkies in the "medical" establishment" on behalf of the various synthetic lipid substances it has promoted. There is nothing inherently bad or unhealthy about heavy animal fats--they are just very calorie-dense. They are not somehow magically worse for your heart than other lipids. 

This is completely untrue.   Sorry.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »
Whole milk isn't unhealthy in a society where people eat less in general and are more active, but in a sedentary society that's also prone to a diet high in fat and sugar, skim milk makes more sense for most people health wise.

Very good point Rubystars.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
Please go see a doctor Meir!

Cancer is so scary... I must reveal that my aunt, whom I have not seen in over 30 years, just died of Breast Cancer last night. Although I have hazy memories of this aunt it is still shocking that she died at such a young age. My mother is upset about it also because my step-father has been dealing with cancer for the last six years.

Psychologically I am prepared to go through this because they say things like this are genetic. In my mind I know that I will leave this world due to one of the following 1) Cancer, 2) Heart Attack, 3) Kidney failure... All of these problems have occured to my parents generation and their parents.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
Drink beer or coke. Will bloat you up.

Please, enough old wives' tales for one thread.   It is clear that the man needs to see a doctor.   It's not that he feels "thin" or cosmetically doesn't like the shape of his back leg in the mirror.   He stated that he experienced serious weight loss in a very short time without trying and that he is feeling lethargic.   These are good reasons to get to a doctor and make sure there are no problems, and if there are any, to treat them appropriately so that there is not a danger to his life/health.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »

Please, enough old wives' tales for one thread.   It is clear that the man needs to see a doctor.   It's not that he feels "thin" or cosmetically doesn't like the shape of his back leg in the mirror.   He stated that he experienced serious weight loss in a very short time without trying and that he is feeling lethargic.   These are good reasons to get to a doctor and make sure there are no problems, and if there are any, to treat them appropriately so that there is not a danger to his life/health.
I agree Kahane-Was-Right BT.  You have been a voice of reason in this thread.
The weight loss and fatigue could be related to any number of causes.  You should really see a doctor.
I'm sure that your problems probably has a very benign cause, but you don't want to wait until it becomes a major health issue.

Are you on any new medication?  That could be affecting your appetite and energy level.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 11:18:39 AM »

The weight loss and fatigue could be related to any number of causes.  You should really see a doctor.
I'm sure that your problems probably has a very benign cause, but you don't want to wait until it becomes a major health issue.

Are you on any new medication?  That could be affecting your appetite and energy level.

And I was the 1st to advise him to see a doctor...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »

Good advice.....
I couldn't agree more....

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »

And I was the 1st to advise him to see a doctor...

ok
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
I think alot of people would like to have your problem to be able to eat whatever you want and not gain.   Did you try eating more carbs than proteins and adding nutritional liquid supplements, like they give the elderly when they have just had surgery and can't eat whole foods.   They come in Chocolate and all flavors!