Torah and Jewish Idea > Torah and Jewish Idea

Can you be a righteous Muslim?

(1/9) > >>

Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks:
A question inspired by Chaim's recent comments on whether Muslims really believe in the one true G-d: is it theoretically possible to be a righteous Gentile or Noahide Muslim?

Chaim stated on this week's Ask JTF that it is a key point of Torah Judaism to accept that Muslims do in fact believe in the one true G-d (based on the conclusions of Maimonides), and I believe having heard/read that in principle, a Jew could convert to Islam and not be guilty of sin (depending on how literally he or she meant it, of course). Does this mean that it is in principle possible to be a righteous Muslim?

As I think we all know, at the time of Maimonides Christianity was far more anti-Semitic than Islam, which at that time generally accepted Jews as second-class dhimmi citizens and permitted them to live out their lives for the most part. The difference was one of constant pogroms vs. occasional ones, so obviously there was a substantial difference in Islamic (and Christian) philosophy then as opposed to now. Were there any Muslims during this so-called "golden age" who were analogous to Christian Zionists today and genuinely loved and supported Jews?

Bonesfan

Spectator:
Wow, that's great topic. I don't know if there can be a Noahide Muslim, but I can definitely say that there were Muslims in history who were very good to the Jews. For example, Suleiman the Magnificient, the Sultan of Ottoman Empire.

Here is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wall
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1517 the Turkish Ottoman Empire under Selim I conquered Jerusalem from the Mamluks who had held it since 1250. The Ottomans had a benevolent attitude towards the Jews, having welcomed thousands of Jewish refugees who had recently been expelled from Spain by Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella of Castile in 1492. Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent was so taken with Jerusalem and its plight that he ordered a magnificent fortress-wall built around the entire city, today's Old City wall.

There are various accounts of Suleiman's efforts to locate the Temple's ruins. Rabbi Eliezer Nachman Puah, (ca. 1540), relates:

”I have been told that in the day of Sultan Suleiman the site of the Temple was not known and the Sultan had every corner of Jerusalem searched for it. One day the man in charge of the work, despairing after much searching and inquiring in vain, saw a woman (Arab woman - Spectator) coming with a basket of rubbish and filth upon her head. He asked her: “What are you carrying on your head?” – And she replied: “Rubbish.”
“And to where are you carrying it?”
“To such and such a place.”
“Where do you live?”
“In Bethlehem.”
“Is there no dunghill between Bethlehem and this place?”
“It is a tradition among us that whoever takes a little rubbish to that place performs a meritorious act.”
The curiosity of the officer was aroused and he commanded a great number of men to remove the rubbish from that place…and the holy site was revealed. When the Sultan learned of this, he rejoiced greatly and ordered the place to be swept and sprinkled and the Western Wall washed with rosewater...”

In the second half of the 16th century, Suleiman the Magnificent gave the Jews rights to worship at the Western Wall and had his court architect Sinan build an oratory for them there.

Ben Yehuda:
Is it possible that Maimonides seeming views on islam are not his true views given that he lived within a muslim world, and any talk against islam would have spelt great trouble for him?

Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks:

--- Quote from: Ben Yehuda on November 10, 2009, 02:04:28 PM ---Is it possible that Maimonides seeming views on islam are not his true views given that he lived within a muslim world, and any talk against islam would have spelt great trouble for him?

--- End quote ---

Why would such a great Torah sage speak untruth? Granted, I do not necessarily agree with all that he says, but wouldn't he mean anything he wrote sincerely?

Spectator:

--- Quote from: Bonesfan on November 10, 2009, 02:08:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ben Yehuda on November 10, 2009, 02:04:28 PM ---Is it possible that Maimonides seeming views on islam are not his true views given that he lived within a muslim world, and any talk against islam would have spelt great trouble for him?

--- End quote ---

Why would such a great Torah sage speak untruth? Granted, I do not necessarily agree with all that he says, but wouldn't he mean anything he wrote sincerely?

--- End quote ---

It is absolutely impossible for the greatest Torah Sage to speak untruth. It is obvious that he couldn't speak about bad things that are in great abundance in Islam, but it is absolutely impossible for him to lie to praise the Muslim rulers. It is not the way of our Sages.

Besides, anyone who speaks Hebrew will note that the word "Allah" is very similar to one of the Hebrew names of G-d.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version