Author Topic: I translated part of the Rambam's remarks on the Moshiach. Very interesting  (Read 2504 times)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Maimonides: The Laws of Monarchy and Wars Chapter 11  :  הלכות מלכים ומלחמות פרק יא

Translated by jdl4ever First 9 verses our of 12 since I got too tired to translate the rest

א  המלך המשיח עתיד לעמוד, ולהחזיר מלכות בית דויד ליושנה הממשלה הראשונה, ובונה מקדש, ומקבץ נדחי ישראל.  וחוזרין כל
המשפטים בימיו, כשהיו מקודם:  מקריבין קרבנות, ועושין שמיטין ויובלות ככל מצותן האמורה בתורה.

1.  The "King Moshiach/Melech Hamoshiach" is destined to come, and return the Davidic Kingship to the days of yore like the original monarchy, build the Temple, and gather the dispersed of Israel.  He will bring back all of the laws in his days, when he is established.  He will bring sacrifices, make Shemitah and Jubilee like all of the commandments stated in the Torah.

ב  וכל מי שאינו מאמין בו, או מי שאינו מחכה לביאתו--לא בשאר נביאים בלבד הוא כופר, אלא בתורה ובמשה רבנו:  שהרי תורה העידה עליו, שנאמר "ושב ה' אלוקיך את שבותך, וריחמך; ושב, וקיבצך מכל העמים . . . אם יהיה נידחך, בקצה השמיים--משם, יקבצך ה' אלוקיך, ומשם, ייקחך.  והביאך ה' אלוקיך . . ." (דברים ל,ג-ה).  ואלו הדברים המפורשים בתורה, הם כוללים כל הדברים שנאמרו על ידי כל הנביאים.

2.  And anyone who does not believe it or one who does not await its coming is not only denying the rest of the Prophets but is doing so to the Torah and Moses or teacher: for the Torah testifies about this, as it says "and the L-rd your G-d will return your captives and have mercy on you; and you will return and he will gather you from among the nations.... if you will be dispersed as far as the heavens, from there the L-rd your G-d will gather you and from there he will take you.  And the L-rd your G-d will bring you...(Devarim 30,3-5)".  These things that are explained in the Torah are all the same things that are stated by the Prophets.

ג  אף בפרשת בלעם נאמר, ושם ניבא בשני המשיחים--במשיח הראשון שהוא דויד, שהושיע את ישראל מיד צריהם, ובמשיח האחרון שיעמוד מבניו, שמושיע את ישראל מיד בני עשיו.

3.  Even by the section of Bilam it talks about this where he prophesied about two saviors/Moshiachs, the first Moshiach is David who saved the Jews from their tormentors, and the second Moshiach is going to arize from his sons who will save Israel from the sons of Essau [jdl4ever's note: the Arabs].

ד  ושם הוא אומר "אראנו ולא עתה" (במדבר כד,יז), זה דויד; "אשורנו ולא קרוב" (שם), זה המלך המשיח.  "דרך כוכב מיעקוב" (שם), זה דויד; "וקם שבט מישראל" (שם), זה המלך המשיח.  "ומחץ פאתי מואב" (שם)--זה דויד, וכן הוא אומר "ויך את מואב, וימדדם בחבל" (שמואל ב ח,ב).  "וקרקר כל בני שת" (במדבר כד,יז)--זה המלך המשיח, שנאמר בו "ומושלו מים עד ים" (זכריה ט,י).  "והיה אדום ירשה" (במדבר כד,יח)--לדויד, שנאמר "ותהי אדום לדויד, לעבדים" (ראה שמואל ב ח,ו; וראה שמואל ב ח,יד).  "והיה ירשה שעיר--אויביו" (במדבר כד,יח)--זה המלך המשיח, שנאמר "ועלו מושיעים בהר ציון, לשפוט את הר עשיו" (עובדיה א,כא).

[jdl4ever's note:  The two entire verses about Bilam's prophesy that the Rambam is quoting is "I shall see him but not now, I shall look at him, but it is not near.  A star has issued from Jacov and a scepter-bearer has risen from Israel, and he shall pierce the nobles of Moab and undermine all the children of Shait/Seth". " Edom shall be a conquest and seir Shall be the conquest of his enemies; and Israel will have victory"(Bamidbar 24,17-18). ]

4.  There it says "I shall see him but not now" (Bamidbar 24, 17), this refers to David, "I shall look at him but it is not near"  is the Melech Hamoshiach. "A star has issued from Jacob" refers to David, "and a scepter bearer has risen from Israel" refers to Melech Hamoshiach "and he shall pierce the nobles of Moab" this is David, as is said "and he (David) smote Moav and he measured out a group" (Samuel 2 8:2).  "and undermine all the children of Shait/Seth" (Bamidbar 24:17) is the Melech Hamoshiach, as it says about him "and he will rule from sea to sea" (Zechariah 9:10).  "And Edom (the land of Essau) will be his inheritance" (Devarim 24:18) refers to David as it says that Edom became servants for David (see Samuel 2 7:6 and Samuel 2 8:14).  "And Edom will be a conquest" (Bamidbar 24:18) is the Melech Hamoshiach as it says "and watchmen shall come up on mount Zion to judge mount Essau" (Avodia 1:21).

ה  [ב] אף בערי מקלט הוא אומר "כי ירחיב ה' אלוקיך, את גבולך . . . ויספת לך עוד שלוש ערים, על השלוש האלה" (ראה דברים יב,כ; דברים יט,ח-ט); ומעולם לא היה דבר זה, ולא ציווה הקדוש ברוך הוא לתוהו.  אבל בדברי הנביאים, אין הדבר צריך ראיה, שכל הספרים מלאים מדבר זה.

5.  Also by the city of refuge it says "when the L-rd your G-d will broaden your boundary ... and you shall add three additional cities to these three" (Devarim 12:20, 19:8-9); but in reality this never took place.  Didn't G-d command us to do it?  But in the words of the Prophets this matter requires no explanation since all of the (prophetic) writings explain this (that this event refers to the Messianic era).

ו  [ג] אל יעלה על דעתך שהמלך המשיח, צריך לעשות אותות ומופתים, ומחדש דברים בעולם, או מחייה מתים, וכיוצא בדברים אלו שהטיפשים אומרים; אין הדבר כן--שהרי רבי עקיבה חכם גדול מחכמי משנה היה, והוא היה נושא כליו של בן כוזבא המלך, והוא היה אומר עליו, שהוא המלך המשיח.  ודימה הוא וכל חכמי דורו שהוא המלך המשיח, עד שנהרג בעוונות; כיון שנהרג, נודע שאינו משיח, ולא שאלו ממנו חכמים, לא אות ולא מופת.

6.  Don't let it enter your mind that Melech Hamoshiach must perform signs and wonders, and bring new things forth into the world or resuscitate the dead or similar things like this as the fools say.  This is not the case, for Rabbi Akiva was of the greatest Sages of the Sages of the Mishna, and he would carry the vessels of Bar Kochba the King and he would say that he was the Melech Hamoshiach.  He  and all of the Sages of his generation believed that Bar Kochba was the Melech Hamoshiach until he was killed because of sin.  Since he was killed it became apparent that he wasn't Moshach, but the Sages did not ask from him for either a sign or wonder.

ז  ועיקר הדברים, ככה הן:  שהתורה הזאת אין חוקיה ומשפטיה משתנים לעולם, ולעולמי עולמים, ואין מוסיפין עליהן, ולא גורעין מהן; וכל המוסיף או גורע, או שגילה פנים בתורה והוציא הדברים של מצוות מפשוטן--הרי זה בוודאי רשע ואפיקורוס.

7.  The main point of everything is the following:  That the Torah's laws and judgments do not change for ever and for all eternity,  nothing can be added to them and they can not be changed.  Anyone who adds or changes it or makes up new things in the Torah and takes the commandments out of there simple meaning, this person is certainly wicked and a heretic.

ח  [ד] ואם יעמוד מלך מבית דויד הוגה בתורה ועוסק במצוות כדויד אביו, כפי תורה שבכתב ושבעל פה, ויכוף כל ישראל לילך בה ולחזק בדקה, ויילחם מלחמות ה'--הרי זה בחזקת שהוא משיח:  אם עשה והצליח, וניצח כל האומות שסביביו, ובנה מקדש במקומו, וקיבץ נדחי ישראל--הרי זה משיח בוודאי.

8.  If a King of the house of David rises up that knows the Torah and is diligent in the Mitzvot like David his father in both the written Torah and the oral Torah, and summons all of Israel to come together at a certain time* and fight a Milchamat Hashem (war of G-d); this is to be considered the presumption that he is the Moshiach.  If he does it and is successful and victorious against all the surrounding enemies, and builds the Temple in its place, and gathers the dispersed of Israel, then he is definitely Moshiach.
*Jdl4ever's note:  I'm unsure of the exact meaning of this phrase so I did my best.

ט  ואם לא הצליח עד כה, או נהרג--בידוע שאינו זה שהבטיחה עליו תורה, והרי הוא ככל מלכי בית דויד השלמים הכשרים שמתו.  ולא העמידו הקדוש ברוך הוא אלא לנסות בו רבים, שנאמר "ומן המשכילים ייכשלו, לצרוף בהן ולברר וללבן--עד עת קץ:  כי עוד, למועד" (ראה דנייאל יא,לה).

9.  But if he is not successful with this venture or if he is killed, then it is known that this was not the one that the Torah promised.  He is no different than all of the very righteous Kings of the house of David that died.  G-d stood him up only to test the masses as it says "Even some of the knowledgeable will stumble so that they might be refined, purified and whitened before the time of the end, for there is yet a while until the appointed time" (Daniel 11:35).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:31:35 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD