General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (26/69) > >>

Confederate Kahanist:
Give us your latest affirmative action story.

Lisa:

--- Quote from: Confederate Kahanist on December 29, 2009, 02:12:49 PM ---Give us your latest affirmative action story.

--- End quote ---

Let me think on that one, and I'll give you a story. 

Lisa:
OK Confederate Kahanist, here are some AA stories for you.

About a year ago, I was in Forest Hills walking on Queens Blvd.  I had a day off from work.  So I'm walking on this loud street when my cell phone rings.  So I answered it.  This woman proceeded to ask for me.  When I asked her name, she said defensively "Shak-leen!"  She was responding to a resume I posted on Craigslist for some kind of executive assistant position. 

Anyway, I was really having trouble hearing her.  Also, I didn't feel comfortable going through a phone interview smack on Queens Blvd.  So I asked her if I could call her back when I got home.  So she gave me her number and the hours she was available. 

The next morning, I called her. 

She then went on to say that out of "X" number of letters/resumes, mine was one of "X" amount chosen because I followed the directions of the ad.  Then she started giving a spiel about how the people she places in jobs stay "x" amount of years at the company. 

Then she asked me to rate certain skills on a scale of 1-10, which I proceeded to do.  Then she got to Microsoft Excel, which I'm fairly good at.  So I gave myself an 8.  I mean in past jobs, I was able to make spreadsheets with calculations.  Then she asked about pivot tables, which I know nothing about, so I said "zero."  I tried to explain that I was otherwise proficient in Excel, but that I didn't know about pivot table, but that I could learn, etc.

Then she snapped "Give me a number!  One to ten!

So I said "five." 

Finally she said she wasn't going to proceed with the interview since I wasn't qualified enough. 

Lisa:
Here's another AA story. 

I used to live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. So one day, I decided to pick up some medicine from a pharmacy that was right near the subway on Lexington Avenue.  It's something that I take regularly.  So I decided to use the automated phone service to request a refill.  That was easy enough.  I followed all the prompts and got a recorded message saying that my refill order would be processed shortly. 

Anyway, I got to the drugstore and went to the pharmacy to request a refill.  The AA clerks looked at me like I was from Mars.  They were like "we don't have record of you requesting such a refill."  So I basically had to give these ditzes my refill request all over again, and then come back later to get my refill.  This happened on two other occasions. 

Anyway, that was the end of me going there.

I've been going to CVS ever since then.  And just so you know, I went to CVS one night and dealt with a very nice Asian clerk.  He said it would be a while before I could get my refill.  I then told him I had to leave on a business trip early the next morning.  So he said to me "Don't worry.  I get off here at 4:00 a.m.  I'll personally drop off the refill at your apartment."  And he did just that! 

Lisa:
Here's another affirmative action for you, Confederate Kahanist.  Unfortunately, this one is not funny at all. 

A couple of years ago, I woke up feeling very nauseous.  And of course I threw up, which I hate doing.  Afterwards, I found myself feeling very thirsty, so I drank something.  I threw up shortly after that.  Apparently, I wasn't able to keep anything down.  So after a few more bouts of vomitting, I decided to go to New York Presbyterian Hospital, which was in my neighborhood.  I had a good experience with them a few years earlier when I went in one night with stomach pains and nausea.  The very nice nurse immediately gave me an IV drip with anti-nausea medicine. 

Anyway, this time, things were completely different.  I was throwing up so much that the bones in my legs ached. 

Finally, a young AA nurse practitioner saw me.  But he refused to give me the IV drip until he could get a blood sample.  Now mind you, I had already thrown up while waiting in the ER lobby.  So I didn't think I could take much more.  When I asked him why he didn't want to give me the IV drip, he said he wanted to make sure I wasn't pregnant, at which point I really lost it.  I tried explaining to him that there was no way I could be pregnant since I hadn't been with anyone in ages.  And do you know what he said to that?

"I don't need to know the details of your personal life."

Then he tried to get blood out of my arm.  He tried poking and poking, but my veins were all closed.  There was no blood or any other body fluid to be had.  Finally, his supervisor came to try and get some blood.  She finally managed to get a little bit out of this vein on my left hand.  But even that was difficult.  She had to squeeze my hand for the blood to come out. 

After that, I finally got the IV drip.  They ended up sticking it in my left hand. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version