Author Topic: Ask Lisa  (Read 110632 times)

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Ask Lisa
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
Hi Lisa,

How do you characterize your faith ?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
Hi Irish Zionist,

Good question.

So far, I haven't really considered it.  It's just that all my family is here, although I do have some distant relatives there.  And as much as might complain about them, I can't imagine completely uprooting myself.  There are some people who can easily relocate for work or other reasons, then easily land on their feet wherever they go.  I don't think I'm one of them. 

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
Hi Moshe92,

Good question.

About twelve or thirteen years ago, I was sitting in my apartment one night bored and flipping through the television channels, when all the sudden I saw a young man with black sunglasses ranting about Israel, the Arabs, Chuck Schumer and the Serbs.  He was bluntly saying everything I've always thought about the whole Israel/Fakestinian situation.  The only thing was when I would try and voice these opinions to family and friends, people would just say, "Oh Lisa, you need to be realistic."  But here was a man who was saying everything I'd always been thinking!  I was riveted. 

From then on, I always made it a point to catch those Manhattan Neighborhood Network public television shows.  And of course, I always visited the website every week religiously.  I just loved it!  I pretty much devoured everything on that website.

In fact, Chaim was one of two people who helped turn me into a conservative.  (This probably won't make much sense, but the other person was the late Ayn Rand after I read her book "Atlas Shrugged.")

Otherwise, I don't remember how I found the JTF forum.  I think there might have been a link on the main JTF page.  But once I found the forum, I was practically in heaven.  I thought I was the only person who knew of, or supported JTF.  So it was great to be able to connect to like minded people. 

Now at that point, I had already started my own blog, and was still very into it, pouring through dozens of news feeds every day for stuff to post.  It was a pleasure for me to jump in and share my commentary (or what have you) with other right wing people.

I guess it also helped that I met our former admin Yacov several times.  I remember Jimmy Sullivan asking me if I would like to be a moderator for the General section, and that he thought I was a good writer.  Then right afterwards, Yacov wrote me and said "Lisa, there's a fight going on in the forum.  As moderator, you need to go in and stop it" or something to that effect.  So that's basically what I did.

After that, I became friendly with Shlomo when he became an admin. He found what I wrote on one thread about a film called "Janet's Abortion" very funny.  And it helped that he seemed to like my posts. 

I think I became admin at around the time "Until Shiloh Comes" ended up becoming less active on the forum.  Shlomo wasn't able to monitor the forum and do the back end stuff on his own. 

Hope that answers your question. 

You addressed the answer to Moshe92 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
Dear Zelhar,

I am a first generation American, and the daughter of Iranian Jews.  I was born in Queens, and went to a yeshiva for first and most of second grade, after which, my family moved to Long Island.  After that I began attending public schools.  But my family belonged for many years to the only ashkenazic Orthodox Synagogue of the town, since there were so few Iranian Jews where we were.  And I attended their after school program for years.  

After 1976, most of the Jews in Iran came to America en masse, and to Long Island as well.  So I would say that starting in the 80's and 90's, they started building Iranian Synagogues.  My parents now belong to one as well.  You should know that for Iranian Jews, there is no such thing as Orthodox, Conservative and Reform.  The Iranian Synagogues I've been to however are kind of on the Orthodox side if I had to compare.  And there are differences between your average Orthodox Jewish and your traditional Iranian Jewish services and customs, which could be the subject of an entire new thread.

But in terms of my faith/level of observance, I attend my family's Synagogue on Rosh Hashana.  I fast on Yom Kippur, and have in the past attended a makeshift Iranian Synagogue close to where my family used to live.  For this year, my sister had tickets from a friend to a nearby Conservative Synagogue which was within walking distance of her house.  So we went there.  

Now I'm not nearly as observant as many of the Jewish members here.  However, I have NEVER, had any Christmas decorations at home growing up for Chanukah.  Nor did I ever receive Chanukah presents. To their credit, Iranian Jews don't engage in that kind of thing. And I never intend to start if I one day have a family of my own.  To me, those things are just for self-hating Jews who feel left out during the Christmas season.  

I hope that answers your question.  If not, ask me more stuff.  

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm sorry Mo.  My bad.  I've been so spaced out lately. 

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:48 PM »
I know I'm bringing up this subject again and plz tell me to stop if your getting uncomfortable about discussing this. I'm sure many Jewish people were in the same situation as you or even harder. Look at what The Yemenite Jews did this year. They left a country they have been in for 1,500 years because they believed in The Torah. They were uprooted yes, but it's to my believe they are happy they are home in Israel. I cannot describe the feeling one would have, having a nation with all your brothers and sisters all together united. I think that would be a wonderful and holy feeling. Also all The Jews in Israel need great Jews like you Lisa. Why don't you try and convince your family to move to Israel with you?
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 06:57:40 PM »
You're not making me uncomfortable, Bryan.  My parents are old and set in their ways.  They want to be around their relatives, and other Iranian Jews. 

As for myself, it's not like I'll say "never."

Offline futuramark

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2009, 01:59:22 AM »
hi Lisa....I noticed in threads jewish people seem to really hate the Maltese people...they seem to confuse us with arabs/muslims whom who have been hating since practically our childhood ...so I guess they're confused...even though there was a period when we had a political party (mintoff era) who was siding with that a--hole Libya's gaddafi in the 70s the maltese have never felt arabic or muslims on the contrary...we always wanted western democracy, we are very christian and anti arabic/muslim really. plus I dont think we ever had any problems with jewish people in fact all thru history the community of jewish ppl living in Malta have always been safe and protected...I dont understand why they bear all this hate towards us...I saw some threads which were very insulting and always thought Malta and Israel and jewish ppl had good relations with each other. Remember also that when we were attacked by muslims in 1565 in the great siege jewish people and maltese people were fighting side by side for their survival, since Muslims hated both jews and christians alike and they would have slaughtered us both if they had won. Is it becuase of the lockerbie incident? or becuase of Shakespear book the Jew of Malta? I dont know ..maybe you can enlighten me please.  But please inform such people that even though we might have some arab blood still in us and our language is based on semitic...we totally do not feel we are like the arabs/muslims..in fact if you went in a bar in Malta and called us arabs you would be lucky if you get out without a fight heh. No offense to arab people but I guess we love our history and feel that muslims especially the turks/ottomans are our eternal mortal enemy becuase they tried to exterminate us and almost succeeded. We were also maybe nowadays not su much...devoteldly christians..and anti islamic but never have I heard anything against jews in malta except lately by 1 person who is taking advantage of the immigration of africans and is of neo nazi ideology and rambling against jews...however just a few of is followers take him seriously most ridicule him and dont take him seriously and he has been sent to 2 years jail beucase of hate speech. most of his followers in the site are anti immigration and not antisemites but he influences them also so they try to copy him...but only a few hardcore followers of his maybe 10 people or so actually emulate him in his anti semite ramblings.

mark
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:11:23 AM by futuramark »

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your answer. To be honest I actually aimed to inquire about your belief- do you believe in God at all, do you believe the Torah was given entirely by god if at all ?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 06:51:53 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your answer. To be honest I actually aimed to inquire about your belief- do you believe in G-d at all, do you believe the Torah was given entirely by G-d if at all ?

Of course I believe in G-d.  I believe the Torah was given by G-d. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
Futuramark,

Thanks for writing to me. 

I can't speak for all Jews, but I have nothing against Maltese people.  I'll write you more later when I get home from work. 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your answer. To be honest I actually aimed to inquire about your belief- do you believe in G-d at all, do you believe the Torah was given entirely by G-d if at all ?
Umm, why would you question this at all? I seem to recall you told judeanoncapta earlier this year that you ywere in fact very secular. In fact you two argued pretty heatedly.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:32 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Umm, why would you question this at all? I seem to recall you told judeanoncapta earlier this year that you ywere in fact very secular. In fact you two argued pretty heatedly.

I am secular and I am also curious about what other people think of such matters. I am not sure what you are trying to imply though, what is wrong about me asking other people what they believe in ?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:13 AM »
It was just really weird that you would question whether Lisa believes in G-d.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32:56 AM »
It was just really weird that you would question whether Lisa believes in G-d.
‎The way you phrase this might imply that I don't believe Lisa or something like this. I am just genuinely curious to know what other people think on the issue of God and the foundation of the Judaism.

If I knew Lisa was religious, which I didn't, I suppose it would be less relevant to ask if she believes in God.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
I see Zelhar.

You say you're secular.  What's your view of G-d and the foundation of Judaism.  I'm very interested in what you think, since your posts are always excellent.

Thanks.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
Lisa, please go off on Tiger for me in a royal manner.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »
Well Dr. Brennan Fan, if you insist...

This Tiger Woods was married to probably the most beautiful woman on the planet, and he threw it away on a bunch of hideous hookers.  Have you seen pictures of those disgusting floozies?  They all look like monkeys compared to Ellin Nordregen (no offense to monkeys)! 

Now granted the men on the forum will probably insist that it's natural for men to want variety.  If I had a dime for every time a man told me that men are "visual creatures," I would be rich by now. 

Also don't get me wrong when I call those bimbos he went with hideous.  The fact is, they are hideous.  And even if they weren't hideous, it's still no excuse for anyone to cheat on his wife and destroy his family.  This Tiger Woods had it all, yet he chose to throw it away.

I also heard on the radio the other morning that Tiger refused to wear condoms when he cavorted with these whores.  In fact, one of them said she was scared to have sex with Tiger because of that.  (Yet she went ahead and did so anyway.)

So now what some people might be wondering is if it was just a matter of the fame and fortune (courtesy of rich white people) going to Tiger's head.  Or was it just another example of Third World ghetto behavior. 

I'm inclined to believe it's just another example of ghetto behavior, when you factor in the drugs, the refusal to practice "safe" sex, and the whole business of paying for sex. 

Offline futuramark

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 10:19:28 AM »
Why doesn't Tiger Woods stick to his own race...is he admitting the white race is prettier I wonder...same goes for all other N's.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
I see Zelhar.

You say you're secular.  What's your view of G-d and the foundation of Judaism.  I'm very interested in what you think, since your posts are always excellent.

Thanks.
I am trying to sum it up compactly:

I believe, or assume G-d, however I am also pretty much convinced that G-d is impossible to prove logically, it's like in logic there may be truths that are unprovable (maybe you heard of Gödel's incompleteness theorems).

I also think that I have a sort of proof that there is some kind of entity that is the creator of the universe, however at least by my logic, it is consistent that this entity is not sentient. We actually had a rather interesting thread on this issue a few months back in the Hebrew forum. 

So the only valid way to confirm G-d exists is that he reveals this truth to us mortals. Judaism is pretty much founded on the belief that such event had actually occurred- on mount Sinai in front of numerous witnesses. And  the claim is that the Torah itself and the people of Israel who pass this testimony from one generation to the next in an unbroken link are the proof to that this is indeed a historic event and among other things it proves G-d exists. It is surely impossible to disprove this claim, but frankly I don't think it is a proof either.

Personally I am not convinced enough to accept this claim as a fact. I actually think the Torah and the Tanakh were written by humans. It is nonetheless rather historically accurate, because it is evident from the text itself that there is no attempt to cover inconvenient details, like for example the story of David and Batsheva. In fact I think since G-d is also the G-d of the History and destiny it would be sacrilege for a Hebrew scribe to lie and fake.

But I also think that in certain cases, much of the texts were written long after the said event and so the report is far less accurate. That's why the stories of Genesis and Exodus are more mythical, while for example Judges, Samuel, and Kings are much more accurate. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »
Why doesn't Tiger Woods stick to his own race...is he admitting the white race is prettier I wonder...same goes for all other N's.

Dear Futuramark:

I have no idea why Woods didn't stick to his own kind.  I think status has a lot to do with it.  I guess it was a way for Woods to say "I've made it" by marrying a beautiful blond woman. 

Now as for Swedes and other Scandinavian types desiring dark skinned mates, that's a whole other story.  From what I understand, there are Swedes who consider blacks and Hispanics to be exotic. 

I had this friend from high school who used to work with a lovely Swedish girl. This Swedish girl wanted to come into Manhattan for a night of salsa dancing (Apparently, salsa dancing was the latest craze at the time).  So since I was living in Manhattan at the time, my friend called me and asked if would go with the Swedish girl to a salsa club, and let her spend the night at my place.  My friend said one of her old guy friend neighbors would join us.

Anyway, we got to the club and this Swedish girl was like a child let loose in a candy store

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the black American singer Diana Ross.  For a number of years, Ms. Ross was married to a Norwegian shipping magnate named Arne Naess (sp?). 

Offline futuramark

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
yes Lisa apart from the fact that they say they have bigger equipment than the white thus better in bed haha. And most of the white trash that desire them usually go after them for that reason becuase the size of the white males would not be enough for them being such wh..res. I do consider hispanics to be sexy though...while I find balcks repulsive in my taste ..ps I dont want to sound racist but everyone has his taste and it is up to the individual. Ofcourse when they mix with other races its another matter and they add the beauty from the other races...for example there are half casts whom I find attractive.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:59 PM »
Hi Futuramark,

We all have our individual tastes. As the saying goes, one woman's frog is another woman's prince, or vice versa. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
Hi Zelhar,

Thanks for responding.  You're very honest. 

Now just out of curiosity, how did you come by your views on G-d.  Were your parents secular, Orthodox, or somewhere in the middle.  Were you always secular?  Did you ever attend a yeshiva?  How do you observe the High Holidays?  Do you go to your Synagogue every Saturday or just for holidays? 

Thanks.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2009, 04:58:12 AM »
Hi Zelhar,

Thanks for responding.  You're very honest. 

Now just out of curiosity, how did you come by your views on G-d.  Were your parents secular, Orthodox, or somewhere in the middle.  Were you always secular?  Did you ever attend a yeshiva?  How do you observe the High Holidays?  Do you go to your Synagogue every Saturday or just for holidays? 

Thanks.
Hi Lisa,

My parents are secular and agnostic, they always have been. My grandparents were secular. My father's father used to pray at the synagogue on the high holidays. My maternal grandmother kept kosher. None of us observe shabbat. The last time I went to synagogue on the holidays must be some 12 years ago, and even when I did go it was just to meet a couple of my friends. I think the only times I went, by "went" I mean "drove", to synagogue on shabbat was for my barmizva, and a couple of friend's barmizvas.  On Pesach we do a seder and actually read the whole hagadah. If it was up to me to deciside, I would skip parts of the hagadah- most of the songs that come after the meal wouldn't past my cut for sure.

My view on G-d etc. are mostly the result of my own inquiries. I have always liked learning history, and I liked reading the tanach, which  they actually teach allot of which at schools in Israel. Also things I learned from mathematical logic inspire some of my metaphysical convictions.

Other people in my family don't have much interest in this subject. I have one friend who does and he is also baal tshuva. Over the last few years he took me to several lessons and lectures,  and we even studied some talmud.