General Category > Ask Posters Show Threads

Ask Lisa

<< < (62/69) > >>

IsraeliGovtAreKapos:
The hatred is based upon Nationalist (a Jewish state in the middle of the "Arab" world) and Religious (a Kuffar state in the Middle of the Dar al Islam) views, not jealousy.

Lisa adds:

Of course that's also true.  But I think part of it has to be jealousy. 

Lisa:

--- Quote from: Rubystars on April 10, 2010, 11:09:33 PM ---So let's say a group of people were found to be the only descendants of one of the lost tribes of Israel, but yet they followed another religion, like Islam. Would the fact they were descended from the original Israelites hold any weight as far as halacha is concerned?

--- End quote ---

I think in that case, they would need to undergo a formal Orthodox conversion to be considered Jews.  Remember, you're talking about many many generations, and the fact that they're practicing another religion. 

Zelhar:

--- Quote from: Lisa on April 11, 2010, 08:29:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Rubystars on April 10, 2010, 11:09:33 PM ---So let's say a group of people were found to be the only descendants of one of the lost tribes of Israel, but yet they followed another religion, like Islam. Would the fact they were descended from the original Israelites hold any weight as far as halacha is concerned?

--- End quote ---

I think in that case, they would need to undergo a formal Orthodox conversion to be considered Jews.  Remember, you're talking about many many generations, and the fact that they're practicing another religion. 

--- End quote ---
I think in such cases there is doubt (safek yehudi) and so it requires conversion. In theory the female line can be traced back to Sarah, but in practice if someone's family line has been outside of Jewry for generations it must raise doubt, even if he/she claims that the female line has remained Jewish by blood.

TruthSpreader:
Dear Lisa, once we're done with Iran's nuclear program should we focus on Pakistan's nuclear program as well? I think both programs should be destroyed.

Lisa:

--- Quote from: YimachShemotoIslam on April 12, 2010, 08:16:33 PM ---Dear Lisa, once we're done with Iran's nuclear program should we focus on Pakistan's nuclear program as well? I think both programs should be destroyed.

--- End quote ---

Hi Yimach Shemo,

Good question.  Of course Pakistan is bad news.  However, they share a border with India, who also has nukes.  Naturally I think Israel and the U.S. should support India. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version