Author Topic: Ask Lisa  (Read 112276 times)

Offline Cato

• Pro JTFer
Re: Ask Lisa
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »
The reason why Malesia is semi-developed is 40% of its citizens are Chinese and Hindu non-muslims. They carry the economy on their shoulders even though the spiteful lazy malay muslims severely discriminate against them.

BTW, the ethnic Chinese in Indonesia are a major if not dominant force in that country economy as well, and naturally they are also facing persecution and discrimination by the lazy muslims.

Here is a Malaysian Muslim woman sentenced to six lashes for drinking beer. Being a UN employee, she could have walked free, but didn't. She could have appealled, but didn't. She wants her lashing to be performed in public, but that has been denied.
The punishment is still under suspension, at first for Ramadan but now probably in response to international outrage.

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2009/08/24/coren.malaysia.model.caning.cnn

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2010, 06:56:23 AM »
Dear Lisa, a Gentile friend once told me that Jews don't believe and that you have to be a Christian to believe in God. What is your take on this?

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
Hi Edward,

I currently live on Long Island.  However, I lived in Manhattan for most of my adult life.

My first impression of the place was just as you described it.  On the other hand, when it came time for me to choose a college, I wanted to be in Manhattan.  I did not want a repetition of high school in the suburbs.  I liked the idea of having the whole city as your campus. 

The thing about Manhattan is that it's where people come to reinvent themselves (or at least try).  What I like about it is that everything is right there at almost any time, and you don't need a car.  You can just take a subway, cab or bus to wherever you want to go. 

On the other hand, stuffing yourself into a subway every day gets a little old after a while.  And if there are problems with the subways, and you can't find a cab, getting around is a big pain. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
Hi YemachShemotoIslam,

Your friend is right.  An example of this are the Noahides.  They believe in G-d.  And they're not Christians or Jews. 

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2010, 06:32:53 PM »
Lisa, I would like to hear your opinion on Mormons. Are they Christian or not? Considering the fact that they do not follow the Bible.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
Hi YimachShemotoIslam,

Being that I'm a Jew, I don't think it's my place to say who is or is not a Christian.  However, I did do some reading on the topic before replying to your post.  From what I can tell, present day Mormons seem to believe they are Christians, whereas as others believe they are not. 

From what I can tell so far, they believe that people who marry in a Temple, and who have lots of children and who live as righteous Mormons will become deities in the next life, with their very own planets to rule.  I don't think Christianity has anything like this. 

Here's a link from a Mormon site writing about why they believe they are Christians:

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/response/general/christians/

Here's a link from another site explaining why they are not Christians:

http://www.allaboutcults.org/what-do-mormons-believe.htm

Hope this helps.

Offline Serbian Canadian

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
Hey Lisa.

Since you're from New York, I have to ask you where were you when the 9/11 attacks happened? When did you first learn about them? What was your reaction? What was the rest of the day like for you?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
Hi Serbian Canadian,

Great question. 

I remember that day very well. 

I had a job selling online advertising out of my home.  My "office" was right in my bedroom.  So that morning, I woke up kind of late, and began checking my email.  At the time, I would have news headlines sent to me by email.  That's how I used to read the New York Times. Anyway, I woke up feeling very groggy and then I checked my email.  I saw a headline from the Times saying "Plane Hits World Trade Center."  I didn't open it to read it.  I figured I'd get to that email later.  Also the first thing I thought was that one of those small propeller planes hit the WTC, and that it was only a pilot error.  Then a second email came, and the heading read "Second plane hits World Trade Center."  Still I couldn't imagine that America was attacked. 

I logged onto Yahoo Messenger, which we were all required to do, then I started going through a list of people I needed to call for the day.  All of the sudden, my Yahoo Instant Messenger beeped.  It was a message from the company's IT guy in California.  I thought to myself, what would the IT guy from California want with me?  Usually it was the other way around.  I would call or email him if I needed something.  And he would get back to me in a little while.  So I opened his message.  It read:

"Are you OK?"

So I said:

"Yes of course.  Why do you ask? 

He then went onto explain how terrorists flew two planes into the WTC, and that the WTC was razed to the ground.  Then I turned on the television and saw it all.  And of course I saw that the Pentagon was also attacked, and that another plane went down in Pennsylvania.  Then it all hit me.  I was enraged!  I thought to myself that it was all Bill and Hillary Clinton's fault.  I wanted to call the U.N. and mouth off to them.  But I couldn't find a phone number for them on their website. 

Also, my phone was down.  I was unable to make any outgoing calls.  But I could receive incoming calls.  My mother called me, and I cried to her.  My manager called to see if I was OK, and said to take the day off.  However, I didn't want to do such a thing.  I didn't want the terrorists interfering with my routine.  So I tried to go on like I normally would.  But I couldn't.  I was too upset. 

I went outside for a few minutes.  And I could see the black smoke from all the way downtown.  Also, there was that awful smell that remained for several weeks.  At one point, I had to put a wet washcloth around my mouth to try and avoid it while sleeping. 

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2010, 07:57:25 PM »
Dear Lisa, can you tell me why do many Iraqi Christians chose to reside in Syria?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »

From what I understand, it's due to cultural similarities, and the ease of being able to enter Syria.  And, there's also the history of Christianity in Syria.   

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/23/Worldandnation/Fleeing_Iraqi_Christi.shtml

Christians from Iraq have gone to other countries, but most choose Syria because of cultural similarities and ease of entry.

Unique in the region, Syria allows any citizen of an Arab nation to enter for up to six months without a visa. President Bush says this "porous" border makes it easy for insurgents to cross into Iraq from Syria, but it also makes it possible for Christians to flee the dangers that have swept their country since the United States occupied it.

"From the time of independence in 1946, Syria has always opened its doors for every refugee who comes - Armenians, Palestinians, Sudanese and now Iraqis," says Archbishop Isidore Battikha, patriarch of the Greek Catholic Church in Damascus.

"They are all welcome in Syria, and the government asks us to help them - we open our churches, our meeting rooms, our schools, and help by money or finding money."

Christians also feel more comfortable in Syria than in Iraq's other neighbors, the overwhelmingly Muslim countries of Jordan, Iran, Turkey, Kuwait and especially Saudi Arabia. There, "religious freedom does not exist," the U.S. State Department says.

By contrast, about 10 percent of Syria's 18-million people are Christians, who worship freely in an atmosphere rich in history and tolerance.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:40 AM »
Hi Lisa,

I'm facing a dilemma. I'm in a committed relationship with a girl who has celebrated Halloween and Valentines Day. Her rationale is that they're secular holidays, which I think is dubious at best. In the past I was into this as well. On Valentine's Day I got my prior girlfriends chocolate, roses, stuffed animals, and various other gifts. I don't want to come across as an inconsiderate jerk when I don't have any thing for my girlfriend this Valentine's Day. But at the same time I want to put my foot down and tell her that I don't think that any Jew should be celebrating this. I'm the type of person that is normally very aggressive in most situations. But in the context of a relationship I'm very submissive and I'll do everything possible to avoid any confrontation or argument.

What is the best course of action? Or rather, what do you recommend I do in such a situation?

Also, what do you think of Jews in the Galut that participate in Gentile holidays that have pagan origins?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:32:49 AM by Mishmaat »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:56 AM »
Hi Mishmaat,

Great questions. 

Halloween originated from the pagan Druid holiday (for lack of a better word) called Samhain.  Here's some background on Samhain, which later became All Saints Day, or All Souls Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Valentine's day is a Christian holiday of course. 

Now does your girlfriend know you're a religious Jew?  How did you meet her?  How long have the two of you been together?  I take it she's not religious?  I'm no expert on relationships, but maybe you should sit her down and explain what Halloween really is. 

Do you have plans with her for today or tonight?  What do you two normally like to do for fun?  Why don't you just make a plan to do something she normally enjoys, so you can avoid the flowers and chocolates? 

In terms of Jews in the Galut who celebrate holidays that have pagan origins, I think they need to be educated.  It's not enough to say "No don't do it.''  They need to understand why.  On the other hand, many secular Jews will not be swayed.  They'll say "Well it may have originally been a pagan holiday, but now it's secular.  So what's the big deal?"  After all, these are the people who voted for Obama. 

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2010, 10:01:27 AM »
Lisa, my husband was on Long Island when the 9/11 attacks happened. Doug told me the same thing....he could see the smoke and smell it from his home in Commack.

Shalom - Dox     

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Lisa, my husband was on Long Island when the 9/11 attacks happened. Doug told me the same thing....he could see the smoke and smell it from his home in Commack.

Shalom - Dox     

Same thing with my parents on Long Island. 

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
Dear Lisa.

Why are Jews not allowed to settle in Jordan?

Offline Edward

• Senior JTFer
  • יברך אלוהים את אמריקה ואת ישראל וכל אוהבי ע&a
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »
Thank you, Lisa.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
Hi Mishmaat,

Great questions. 

Halloween originated from the pagan Druid holiday (for lack of a better word) called Samhain.  Here's some background on Samhain, which later became All Saints Day, or All Souls Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Valentine's day is a Christian holiday of course. 

Now does your girlfriend know you're a religious Jew?

Oh she definitely knows that I'm a religious Jew. I wear a knitted kippah all the time. She's been to my place on numerous occasions. In the hallway leading into my room I've adorned the walls with framed photos of Rabbi Kahane and the Rebbe. My bookshelf is filled with religious material. She's seen all of this.

How did you meet her? 

Initially at my old job. How we hooked up though is a whole different story and quite interesting in and of itself.

How long have the two of you been together?

Well over a year now.

I take it she's not religious?  I'm no expert on relationships, but maybe you should sit her down and explain what Halloween really is.

Unfortunately, she's more of a "cultural" Jew than a religious one. Both of her parents speak Hebrew fluently and she's also fluent in Hebrew. I'll try to bring up the origins of these holidays to her.

Do you have plans with her for today or tonight?

Hopefully we're going to go out to dinner tonight.

What do you two normally like to do for fun? 

She's a frequent guest at my place. ;D We do a lot of channel surfing together and she's got me into playing video games again. We also enjoy shopping or window shopping and going out to different restaurants.

Why don't you just make a plan to do something she normally enjoys, so you can avoid the flowers and chocolates?

I know. I was racking my brain earlier thinking of things and that was my logical conclusion. I'm just sitting here waiting for her to return my text message.

In terms of Jews in the Galut who celebrate holidays that have pagan origins, I think they need to be educated.  It's not enough to say "No don't do it.''  They need to understand why.  On the other hand, many secular Jews will not be swayed.  They'll say "Well it may have originally been a pagan holiday, but now it's secular.  So what's the big deal?"  After all, these are the people who voted for Obama. 

Quite true.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
Hi Yimach,

It was originally Great Britain that decided that Jordan should bejudenrein.  The anti-semitic Jordanians, most of whom consider themselves fakestinians decided to keep that law.  Here's a link to check out:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-littman100702.asp

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
Hi Mishmaat,

Has your girlfriend been dropping hints for you to buy her a Valentine's day gift? 

You have to keep your ground.  The fact of the matter is, no man can change a woman and vice versa.  Your girlfriend has to accept you as you are.  In the long run, you'll get more respect for standing your ground. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »
Mishmaat,

Why not just buy her a card/gift/flowers?  I think that's the easier solution.  Or buy her a gift the day after.  People like to know they are appreciated and participating in these ridiculous 'holidays' seems to communicate that.  I'm for making life easy when it can be.  I am sure G-d knows that you are not actively participating in this pseudo 'holiday' for any of the religious reasons which no one knows.

Or if your participation in it is problematic for you, then make your own celebration for her a week prior or a week after, this way she will know that you are thinking of her, and at the same time, you are following what is the letter of the Law.  I don't know, what do you think?   

Offline Serbian Canadian

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
Lisa, thanks for answering my question.

Why did you think it was Bill and Hillary Clinton's fault?

Don't forget that that same panic, fear, shock, tragedy and anger New Yorkers experienced on that day was also experienced by Serbs for 70+ days in 1999 when they were mercilessly bombed for humanitarian reasons. The irony is that those same people who attacked the U.S. in 2001, the U.S. supported them against Serbs in Bosnia and Kosovo. Crazy isn't it?   

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Lisa, thanks for answering my question.

Why did you think it was Bill and Hillary Clinton's fault?

Don't forget that that same panic, fear, shock, tragedy and anger New Yorkers experienced on that day was also experienced by Serbs for 70+ days in 1999 when they were mercilessly bombed for humanitarian reasons. The irony is that those same people who attacked the U.S. in 2001, the U.S. supported them against Serbs in Bosnia and Kosovo. Crazy isn't it?   

Great question, Serbian Canadian.

I blame the Clintons because of all their sucking up to moosies.  The Sudan offered to give the US Osama Bin Laden but Bill Clinton turned it down.  When the USS Cole and the US embassy were attacked by terrorists, Clinton treated it as a criminal matter, just as he did with the first World Trade Center bombing. 

Also, I remember Hillary Clinton telling some group that she was all for a fakestinian state and those who opposed it were to just get over it.  Hillary Clinton and her daughter Chelsea also sucked up to the moosies by visiting that fakestinian town and listening to Suha Arafat go on about how Israel poisoned the Arab's water supply.  That cow then kissed Suha Arafat, and made no comment about the blood libel.

As for Muslims attacking the US, who supported them against the heroice Serbs, it just goes to show you that they're ingrates.  Rabbi Kahane referred to them as eternal malcontents.  He said that nothing you do for them is ever enough. 

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2010, 12:13:30 AM »
Hi Mishmaat,

Has your girlfriend been dropping hints for you to buy her a Valentine's day gift? 

No. Surprisingly not.

You have to keep your ground.  The fact of the matter is, no man can change a woman and vice versa.  Your girlfriend has to accept you as you are.  In the long run, you'll get more respect for standing your ground.

Absolutely true. She sent me a text message wishing me a happy Valentine's Day, and I responded by stating that I don't observe it at all. She arrived at my home about ten minutes later and she didn't mention anything about V-Day. I didn't have to defend my position, or give her a lecture and there was no argument, thank God. I just enjoyed spending time with her. We went out to eat and had a very interesting conversation. At the risk of being condemned by all of the health nuts here I'm not going to say what I had to eat. Besides, those little details are boring anyway.

Mishmaat,

Why not just buy her a card/gift/flowers?  I think that's the easier solution.  Or buy her a gift the day after.  People like to know they are appreciated and participating in these ridiculous 'holidays' seems to communicate that.  I'm for making life easy when it can be.  I am sure G-d knows that you are not actively participating in this pseudo 'holiday' for any of the religious reasons which no one knows.

Or if your participation in it is problematic for you, then make your own celebration for her a week prior or a week after, this way she will know that you are thinking of her, and at the same time, you are following what is the letter of the Law.  I don't know, what do you think?   

I think your advice is great and sound! You can't really put a price tag on love. But to show that I appreciate her I plan to treat her to a day at the spa. I'll gladly pay for her manicure and pedicure.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2010, 06:06:57 AM »
Dear Lisa in Jewish law, if your mother is Jewish, you are Jewish and in Islam if your father is a Muslim, you are a Muslim. Suppose G-d forbid if your mother is a Jew and your father is a Muslim. What would your situation be?
I woudn't be surprised if many Jews in Israel intermarry with Arab Muslims.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
Good day Lisa, thank you for starting such a lively and interesting thread!

What is your favorite Persian dish?