Author Topic: Ask Lisa  (Read 110893 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Ask Lisa
« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
YimachShemotoIslam,

According to Ashkenazi Jewish law, you're Jewish if you have a Jewish mother, or if you undergo an Orthodox conversion.  The Ashkenazi Jews, which are the marjority of American Jews are of German, Russian and Eastern European ancestry.  My family is Iranian.  And according to my mother, anyone with only one Jewish parent would probably not even be considered Jewish, according to the Iranian Jews. 

If you're talking about some Ashkenazi Jewish woman living in the US who happens to marry a Muslim, I would say the child would be considered Jewish.  Now I don't know the exact number of Jewish women in Israel who have married Muslims.  But I know for a fact that they exist.  That would certainly be an awkward situation for any children involved.  However, there is an Israeli organization called Yad L'Achim, that helps such women and their children in getting back to Jewish life. 

In the U.S., I know of one Iranian Jewish woman who married an Iranian Muslim.  The parents and her brothers disowned her.  However, after the father passed away, the mother, and I think the brothers resumed contact with her.  I have no idea if the husband converted to Judaism.  But my mother tells me that she's seen him in the Iranian Synagogue wearing a yarmulke.  So I'm probably guessing that the kids are being raised Jewish. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Hi Mishmaat,

I have two favorite Iranian dishes.  One is called chello nekhod ab.  It's a stew that's served over rice.  It's made with lima beans, chick peas, kohlorabis, chopped spinach, fresh parsley, dill and cilantro in a chicken broth.  It can also include meatballs made from beef, and other cuts of beef, which are served separately from the stew.  I've always loved this dish.  My mother makes it Friday nights. 

My other favorite Iranian dish is called fesenjun.  From my experience, it's usually just served at catered parties, such as weddings.  Many Iranians have never even tried it because it looks gross.  But it's delicious!  This is also a stew which is served on rice.  It's made from a base of pomegranate paste, chopped walnuts, chopped onions, ground chicken meat and sugar.  Normally, I don't have much of a sweet tooth.  But that is one sweet dish that I LOVE. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »
Lisa,

I had no idea you were Iranian .  I have read a lot about the situation of Iranian Jews and the culture and history. One of my best friends in medical school was an Iranian Jew.  You come from a noble background with a beautiful heritage.  Do you speak Farsi?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
Lisa, according to Hallacha the child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, and the child of a mother who is or was a Gentile when she had that child is a Gentile. (even if the mother converts to Judaism afterwards, except if the child also converts). The status of the father does not matter. The Hallacha is the same for Askenazim, Sefaradim, Mizrachim or any other origin. Only Samaritans and some Karaites hold by patrilineal descent. ( Other Karaites require that both father and mother be Israelites).
Some Reconstructionist ( and perhaps also some Reform Jews) hold that a child with at least one Jewish parent may be considered Jewish if he lives like a Jew and don't require the conversion of someone of Jewish father.
According to Islam, the child of a Muslim father is Muslim, but this is irrelevant to Hallacha. The only problem may be in countries where Sharia is law, because the child may be prosecuted for apostasy by Islamic tyranies.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
Lisa,

I had no idea you were Iranian .  I have read a lot about the situation of Iranian Jews and the culture and history. One of my best friends in medical school was an Iranian Jew.  You come from a noble background with a beautiful heritage.  Do you speak Farsi?

Hi JTF Enthusiast,

I'm a first generation American.  But my parents are Iranian through and through, as are most of my relatives.  I do speak Farsi.  I don't read or write it.  I can carry on a normal conversation.  However, if I'm listening to someone formally giving a speech, I won't be able to understand everything.  

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2010, 06:10:57 PM »
Hi Raulmarrio,

We're in agreement.  However, I'm just relating to everyone here the Iranian Jewish perspective on mixed marriages, according to my mother. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
Dear Lisa,

What is the relationship if any between Iranian and Iraqi Jews?  JTFE

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
Dear Lisa,

What is the relationship if any between Iranian and Iraqi Jews?  JTFE

JTF Enthusiast2

Iranian Jews are extremely tribal.  In Great Neck, the Tehrani Jews have their own Synagogues, as do the Mashadi Jews. The Iraqi and Syrian Jews have their own Synagogues as well.  My family is Mashadi.  The Mashadis are the most tribal group out of them all.  In fact, they're comparable to the Syrian Jews in that regard.  The Tehrani Jews seem to be the most relaxed of the bunch. 

So, while Mashadi Jews might like and respect the Iraqi Jews, they mainly keep to themselves. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2010, 06:57:28 PM »
Interesting,

I was wondering that if because their two homelands were at war, that ethnicity in this instance might surpass religion in terms of bonding between the two Jewish groups.  I had no idea about the tribalism issues you mentioned.  I went to the funeral of an Iraqi friend's father and it was unlike any kind of funeral I had been to. 

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Hi Lisa,
when did most of the Iranian(Persian) Jews immigrate to the US. Are there still many left in Iran currently?
do you still have family or property/possessions there?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
Hi Lisa,
when did most of the Iranian(Persian) Jews immigrate to the US. Are there still many left in Iran currently?
do you still have family or property/possessions there?

Hi Dan,

Most of them came right after the revolution, when the Shah was overthrown.  However, my father saw it coming long ago.  He his family to get out of there.  My parents have been living in the U.S. for over fifty years. 

I think my father still has some property in Iran. 

Otherwise, there are still about 25,000 Jews left in Iran.  Luckily none of my relatives are still there. 

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
How is it that the Nazi Dictator Ahmedinajad still let's them live? are they protected somehow?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
How is it that the Nazi Dictator Ahmedinajad still let's them live? are they protected somehow?

Ahma-dinnerjacket "says" his problem is with Israel and Zionists, as opposed to individual Jews.  From what I uderstand, there's a Jewish representative in their parliament, and a Zoroastrian one too.  But I think I read somewhere that the Jewish rep. converted to Islam. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »
I can say, from experience, that Iranian Jews are some of the nicest Jews I meet. My current minyan is about half Persian and despite the fact that our minyan davens Ashkenazi nusach they keep their customs and prayers and do not complain. I have spent several Shabbatons with these Persian Jews who are studying to become Doctors and Pharmacists at the local college {which happens to be Jewish in nature}.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »
Lisa,

Did that Jewish representative seriously convert to Islam???

His name is Mauric Motamed

PLease tell me that did not happen.

You know I have seen him many times on Television and I always thought to myself "i have no idea how that man stands up to that kind of pressure"

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2010, 08:02:55 PM »
Lisa,

Did that Jewish representative seriously convert to Islam???

His name is Mauric Motamed

PLease tell me that did not happen.

You know I have seen him many times on Television and I always thought to myself "i have no idea how that man stands up to that kind of pressure"

I just looked him up on Wikipedia.  There was luckily nothing about him converting to Islam.  It's just that a while ago on this forum, someone wrote something about the Jewish rep converting. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:12 PM »
Muman,

You're absolutely right about the Iranian Jews being a nice bunch of people.  They're very warm and polite as well.  If you ever get invited to their homes for dinner, you're in for a big treat.  They're excellent hosts. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »
Lisa,

That is really Baruch Hashem because I see him as being the one person in Iran who has been able to keep the Jews from complete and total peril there.

Offline Edward

• Senior JTFer
  • יברך אלוהים את אמריקה ואת ישראל וכל אוהבי ע&a
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Lisa, I've read here that you're of Iranian origin.
Were you born in Iran?
How many Jews are there in Iran?
And, do you speak Farsi?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #219 on: February 16, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
Muman,

You're absolutely right about the Iranian Jews being a nice bunch of people.  They're very warm and polite as well.  If you ever get invited to their homes for dinner, you're in for a big treat.  They're excellent hosts. 

Lisa,

I never told you but when I was a Senior in High School I had a girlfriend who was Persian. Now I will be frank with you, this girl was HOT and ever since I have had a fantasy girl in my mind who is Persian {my wife knows about her}. Her name was Anita and she was not Jewish, I believe they were Muslim, and her mother forbid her from going out with me {she knew I was Jewish}... This was right after the Iranian revolution {I graduated High School in 1983}. I was told that her father was a high ranking official in the Shah of Irans government and they all were forced to leave when the Islamic Revolution took place.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #220 on: February 16, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »
Hi Lisa...hey, you and I have something in common.
My Mother has been here in the US for over 50 years, she and her siblings came from Morocco...so while I read your story of how your Father got his family out of Iran, it reminded me of my Father and how he got my Mother and her siblings out of Morocco.

Lisa... our family's history is interesting       :)

Shalom - Dox 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
Muman, many Iranian women are very beautiful.  I know one woman who's in her mid forties and who is a grandmother.  (She married and had children very young.)  Of course, she looks amazing. 

If you were to go into an Iranian Synagogue, you would see quite a fashion show. 

As for Anita's father, the Ayatollah went after everyone who was connected to the Shah.  So it was good that they got out of there.  I know a Jewish family whose father had some very important position under the Shah.  He found out by accident that he was on Khomeini's hit list.  He got his family out of Iran right away. 

Republican Dox, very interesting family history.  I think New Yorker is also of Moroccan ancestry. 

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:26 AM »
Lisa, my Niece is married to an Iranian Jew and I hear you about a Fashion show, the ladies in his family dress like Models who just stepped out of a magazine. Everything is perfect when they throw parties, the food, their dress, everything is perfect!

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
Lisa, I've read here that you're of Iranian origin.
Were you born in Iran?
How many Jews are there in Iran?
And, do you speak Farsi?

Hi Edward, I was not born in Iran, although I did visit there as a child.  I speak Farsi, but don't read and write the language. 

I think there are currently about 25,000 Jews still in Iran. 

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
Dear Lisa.

Can you tell me the current situation is like for Jews living in Iran right now.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision